Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newest NASA member

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Welcome, Randy!

BTW, you might have to bungee cord or pop rivet those hood ornaments down to the hood or they might fly off on a long straight.
I will dontate my services to hold on to one (better yet, both) while he is on the track.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Congrats Randy, I am sure it will be a rush following in the old mans footsteps!

Hopefully you will get to meet some podium babes like you did at the car craft show
Old 03-10-2010, 11:05 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife told me I couldn't keep the ladies

Randy
Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 97C5inSD
Congrats randy

How hard is it to go through the HPDE program to get into time trials? i have wanted to get into it but we have so few Nasa events even close to me
From my understanding you advance based on your skill level. I think you would move up very fast into TT.

Randy
Old 03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
From my understanding you advance based on your skill level. I think you would move up very fast into TT.

Randy
That could be Randy just didn't know how many events a person would have to attend to get from 1&2 up to 4 and then TT now the next big thing is to finish argueing with the nasa Boys as to what class the cars gona sit in. oh joy. lol
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 AM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet Randy!

987C5inSD, head down to the Rocky Mountain region if you can. There is a new track east of Denver that is a lot of fun, High Plains Raceway. Its also been my experience that they will try and place you according to skill level.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 AM
geerookie
Drifting

That could be Randy just didn't know how many events a person would have to attend to get from 1&2 up to 4 and then TT now the next big thing is to finish argueing with the nasa Boys as to what class the cars gona sit in. oh joy. lol
You can go from 1 - 3 in a session. It depends on your skill levels and prior experience. You might have to spend a whole day in 3 and if all goes well you will get moved to 4 the next day.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats randy

How hard is it to go through the HPDE program to get into time trials? i have wanted to get into it but we have so few Nasa events even close to me
I'm no great expert and procedures may vary from one NASA region to another. I'm in the NASA Arizona regional group. I ran road courses with Proautosports (another racing organization in the Phoenix area) for a couple years. I then joined Arizona Corvette Racing...a time trials group that runs mostly at NASA events. At that point I joined NASA. Having prior experience they placed me in their HPDE 4 group. I wasn't in a rush so I ran in HPDE 4 for almost a year before moving into the TT's group (where you're supposed to be an "expert" driver). Besides submitting the car classification forms and the application for the TT license it wasn't overly difficult to advance into TT's. It did require a check-ride from the HPDE4 group leader to sign-off on my moving into the TT group and I was scrutinized by the TT group leader to ensure I was capable. I'm not sure but you may be required to have at least some HPDE level experience before you're allowed to advance into TT's.

My own advice would be to get sufficient experience at the HPDE level before jumping into TT's. Don't be in a rush to advance just for the sake of advancement...get experience first. The TT groups I belong to have some extremely capable drivers and very fast cars. I was a fast car in HPDE 4 but I'm middle of the pack at best in our TT group. It's all good though...I was ready to step it up a notch and go into TT's. I'm there to learn, improve my driving skills (and my car) and to have fun.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Let me know when you are running so I can stay home, some how I think 2010 will be a little tougher

Last edited by L98Terror; 03-11-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Let me know when you are running so I can stay home, some how I think 2010 will be a little tougher
I don't think you have to worry that much Still just a newbie.

Randy
Old 03-11-2010, 02:12 PM
GAS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
Randy I REALLY want to do the May TT event at BIR. Have you found out anything about the check rides (that would allow us MN people or peopel that have never been to a NASA event to get our TT license a few weeks before the end of May event). I heard it was supposed to happen a few weeks before the TT event that is listed at the end of May on NASA's website but last I checked the dates on it were still TBD? I was going to call the regional director and see if they know anything about it but haven't yet.

Also NASA people: When they say register before each category fills up do they mean they only take say 120 TT entrants and then no one else can register for TT or does it go by class...IE if you ran TTR you don't really have to worry about your TT class filling up so you don't have to register way in advance for most events unlike someone running a stock C5Z would have to register in their class before it filled...or is it simply like 120 TT entrants and no one else can register for TT?

Thanks for answering my new guy questions.
Hi Gang,

REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO RUNNING WITH YOU AT THE TRACK RANDY!!

The NASA HPDE/TT format is REALLY user friendly. You will have an instructer for 1-2-3 and 4 usually runs with TT. HPDE and TT have filled up different times at Putnam and Mid "O" but most other tracks usually have room. It is still a good idea to sign up A.S.A.P. so you do not get left out. There is usually a practice day at the track the day before an event...sometimes run by NASA....sometimes run by someone different. There is an extra fee for that. With sufficient prior track experience you could sign up for 3 OR 4/TT right out of the box. My suggestion would be that you email me your track history and I could work with you in getting the appropriate slot. With no prior NASA experience and no competition license...yet you may have significant track time...I would most likely steer you towards 3 for at least a day and then have your instructer sign you off for 4/TT the next day (that is how I started with NASA four years ago). At most tracks 4 and TT run together. If we have enough entrants TT can get its own run group. The thing that determines when they shut off entries is when NASA feels they have the maximum number of cars they can safely run on the track at one time. It really has nothing to do with the number of cars in a "class"...the more the merrior...but more with the maximum number of cars that can be on the course "SAFELY". I hope this sheds some light GANG. Please do not hesitate to contact me on my cell (preferably evenings or weekends) at 920-765-0215 or my home email is gsawtelle@centurytel.net.

Oh...one more thing...for all you newbies with NASA. If you indicate on your first registration that a current NASA member asked/pursuaded you to come and play....that existing member can win some free track time. The next time you run, if you bring a newbie with you to run....you have an opportunity to win some free track time. It is a great program.

Geff Sawtelle
NASA MIDWEST TT Director
Old 03-11-2010, 02:23 PM
GAS
Instructor

The REALLY NICE thing about the NASA TT program for a vette is...a pretty much stock C5 is gonna fit in TTA. If you have done much to the car at all you are gonna slide into TTS or TTU. In those two classes just about anything goes as long as you are at 8.7/1 for TTS OR 5.5/1 for TTU weight/rear wheel horsepower So when you come off the track...with you in the car....a stock Z with 405 flywheel hp and about 345 rear wheel hp would have to weigh 3000 lbs.

With sufficient prior track time you can go from HPDE3 to TT in a weekend.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by GAS
The REALLY NICE thing about the NASA TT program for a vette is...a pretty much stock C5 is gonna fit in TTA. If you have done much to the car at all you are gonna slide into TTS or TTU. In those two classes just about anything goes as long as you are at 8.7/1 for TTS OR 5.5/1 for TTU weight/rear wheel horsepower So when you come off the track...with you in the car....a stock Z with 405 flywheel hp and about 345 rear wheel hp would have to weigh 3000 lbs.

With sufficient prior track time you can go from HPDE3 to TT in a weekend.
Although some progress slower than others, it took me quite a bit of time and at one point I was taken from TT and put back to HPDE 3 and had to work my way up again True Story
Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Thanks a LOT for the reply and answering the question that I am sure a bunch of MN or people new to NASA will be asking. We have a lot of people in MN and surrounding area with lots of track time including timed events but no NASA experience. I think/hope that with NASA coming to Brainerd NASA will get a lot more members and be able to host great events in the future.

Once again thanks for the info. -Eric Winsor

PS any idea how many people are registered for Brainerd yet? Any idea how many TT entrants there are signed up? It would be great to see what times some people are capable of running on the new course especially the NASA rugulars that mainly run out east VERY successfully. I have ran my lap timer up there but only compared times with a few other people. I think this is going to be the first sanctioned Time Trail event on the new course isn't it or has a different club already done one?

I think that John Boos probably has the fastest time on the new course so far with a 1:36 or around that in a C5Z06 World Challenge car...Randy have you heard any other times from people around the new course? I know that Keith Anderson in the 09 Viper with R6's and me in my C5 were around the 1:45 mark last fall. Any idea what Jim Hall in the TPIS ASA car or any Porsche guys have ran?

The course definetly is interesting and should bring some exciting NASA TT events in the future if NASA comes back to Brainerd.

2010 should be a fun year

Last edited by Git Er Dun; 03-11-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:04 PM
GAS
Instructor

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Although some progress slower than others, it took me quite a bit of time and at one point I was taken from TT and put back to HPDE 3 and had to work my way up again True Story
Well Ken...ya really didn't have to point out "true story" ...the only times I have known you to embellish is when your lips are moving. That being said...if it worked for Ken my advice to everyone would be HPDE3..then TT...then back to HPDE3...then move ahead...BECAUSE Ken is a really great driver (just watch his videos). I watched him from the stands at Putnam last fall and he put on a clinic as to how you can move thru traffic!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I was just curious thanks for the advice folks. i have a pretty good amount of track time. Not looking to jump right to TT would like to get into HPDE 3 and 4 for at least a year first.

At alot of the track days i am usually in group 2 or 3 the way it is sitting. I consider myself average to slightly above average track driver.

Granteed at Brainard id wana run 1 or 2 first at like MAM or MPH i would think 3 would work if not 4. But nasa dose not make it around here very often. Granted not sure what i'm thinking i will not get alot of time to travel for track. So i guess we will see.

Good luck on your nasa run this year randy i just hope the weather co-operates and we can do the may 3rd track day.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:04 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
Thanks a LOT for the reply and answering the question that I am sure a bunch of MN or people new to NASA will be asking. We have a lot of people in MN and surrounding area with lots of track time including timed events but no NASA experience. I think/hope that with NASA coming to Brainerd NASA will get a lot more members and be able to host great events in the future.

Once again thanks for the info. -Eric Winsor

PS any idea how many people are registered for Brainerd yet? Any idea how many TT entrants there are signed up? It would be great to see what times some people are capable of running on the new course especially the NASA rugulars that mainly run out east VERY successfully. I have ran my lap timer up there but only compared times with a few other people. I think this is going to be the first sanctioned Time Trail event on the new course isn't it or has a different club already done one?

I think that John Boos probably has the fastest time on the new course so far with a 1:36 or around that in a C5Z06 World Challenge car...Randy have you heard any other times from people around the new course? I know that Keith Anderson in the 09 Viper with R6's and me in my C5 were around the 1:45 mark last fall. Any idea what Jim Hall in the TPIS ASA car or any Porsche guys have ran?

The course definetly is interesting and should bring some exciting NASA TT events in the future if NASA comes back to Brainerd.

2010 should be a fun year
One would think if you crank off a 1:45 up there during the TT part you should be getting some tires! With that engine package one would think it's worth a couple seconds. Good Lord with John @ a 1:36. I think you will see a ton of vettes in the 1:40's. Real low
1:50s on street tires with some scary moments.
From my understanding Jim sold his ASA car. I will have to call him and get his F-body up there. Myron's brother I heard was going to be up there, look out late in the race, that damn thing was all over me on late on Sunday's race.
Sorry Jim if you are reading this, IRS rear suspension won that battle I'm glad we all had some fun, didn't crash into each other, or the damn wall like I tried not to do

At the end of the day, when the green flag drops the BS stops

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Newest NASA member

Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

I was just curious thanks for the advice folks. i have a pretty good amount of track time. Not looking to jump right to TT would like to get into HPDE 3 and 4 for at least a year first.

At alot of the track days i am usually in group 2 or 3 the way it is sitting. I consider myself average to slightly above average track driver.

Granteed at Brainard id wana run 1 or 2 first at like MAM or MPH i would think 3 would work if not 4. But nasa dose not make it around here very often. Granted not sure what i'm thinking i will not get alot of time to travel for track. So i guess we will see.

Good luck on your nasa run this year randy i just hope the weather co-operates and we can do the may 3rd track day.
Todd,
The early May track day is with BIR's school. They start from paper, lead follow, slow speed, then let her hang out. By the end of that day, you will have the hang of it. TURN after the bump going into 4 You will be ready to come back up for the May NASA race! My plan is to get about 7-10 clean laps and get on back to work. The Monday thing is kinda a bummer for me, because normally it's a busy day around the shop.

Randy
Old 03-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Yeah I'm not 100% positive what John ran. I thought it was a 1:36 but I will have to ask him...it was at the 40th Aniversary the first time they ran the new track and it was with traffic. Either way watching that car run it is apparent that he is going very very fast. My 1:45's was this last year so just a FRC with a cat back exhaust and Pirelli scrubs up front and a few year old Goodyear slicks in the rear...it was also the first time driving a C5 on a road track and a month and a half after getting home...so I was kind of rusty hahaha.

Wow didn't think that he would sell his ASA car. Guess stuff changes. I will have to facebook him and see if he is planning on getting anything different. I know he is getting into boats sort of now...just older cruisers not drag boats.

Can't wait to see what some of the more modified NASA cars can do on the new course.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:28 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM

This is the car I will be driving. Old tires and all I made a list of all the safety crap I still need to buy. Put the car back together. Turn my head and cough, then off to the races. First one is in late May at our home track, BIR!!! A couple carrots are going to be out front, so it should be a good time. With some luck and added speed it maybe interesting.

Randy

Man Randy,

That makes my day...to see that car finally make it to the destination it was intended. Good closure for me thanks for sharing.

Perhaps if I can figure out the logistics with work and a budget for runoff's I will see you in 11 or 12 with my Truck.

Ed

Quick Reply: Newest NASA member