Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service your trailer often

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:42 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default service your trailer often

I always stay on top of my stuff and don't skimp on equipment. Quick story, I purchased my used enclosed featherlite about a year and a half ago. The first thing I did when I brought it home is replace all the hubs, bearings, brakes, wheels, tires, wiring, etc.with brand new equipment.I don't skimp on things that are important. Well, its been sitting for 9 months now and I plan on using it soon. It has almost 600 miles on it since I replaced the above components so I figured it was time to adjust the bearings and brakes. After doing so I noticed all the valve stems were cracked a bit so I decided to replace them. One tire was lower than the other three, but I didn't bother looking it over. I just went to the tire shop, told them to replace the valve stems and asked if they could dunk the questionable tire in the water. Before even getting to that when they turned the tire over and the question was answered. I tried to link a photo.
Bottom line, I stay on top of all my equipment and it finally paid off. Keep in mind these tires are only 1-1/2 years old and although they are left outside the sidewall that broke was on the inside so no sunlight exposure. They have less than 600 miles on them and pressures and torque are set before every tow.
I always stay on top of my stuff and don't skimp on equipment.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:33 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I always stay on top of my stuff and don't skimp on equipment. Quick story, I purchased my used enclosed featherlite about a year and a half ago. The first thing I did when I brought it home is replace all the hubs, bearings, brakes, wheels, tires, wiring, etc.with brand new equipment.I don't skimp on things that are important. Well, its been sitting for 9 months now and I plan on using it soon. It has almost 600 miles on it since I replaced the above components so I figured it was time to adjust the bearings and brakes. After doing so I noticed all the valve stems were cracked a bit so I decided to replace them. One tire was lower than the other three, but I didn't bother looking it over. I just went to the tire shop, told them to replace the valve stems and asked if they could dunk the questionable tire in the water. Before even getting to that when they turned the tire over and the question was answered. I tried to link a photo.
Bottom line, I stay on top of all my equipment and it finally paid off. Keep in mind these tires are only 1-1/2 years old and although they are left outside the sidewall that broke was on the inside so no sunlight exposure. They have less than 600 miles on them and pressures and torque are set before every tow.
I always stay on top of my stuff and don't skimp on equipment.
dang! did you use proper rated tires?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

That almost looks like you ran over something sharp that just came up close enough to the tire to cut the rubber casing but not cut through the fabric.

Bill
Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent advice TB!!

I serviced my trailer this past weekend. Re-packed the wheels bearings, checked the brakes, inspected the wiring, rotated the tires and even washed and waxed it. Made for a good days work.

Dave
Old 03-10-2010, 02:11 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

When I replaced the tires I put on the same c rated 205 type tires that were on there originally from featherlite. I had the tire shop look to see if they have any d rated and they are 225's, but I've got room so I'll go with those next.
Seems like trailer tires are hit and miss. On my open trailer I've probably got 30k or more total miles. At about the mid-point I replaced all hubs, bearings, brakes, tires, etc., just like my other trailer mentioned above. Those tires now have probably 15k miles (rough estimate) are nearly bald and have yet to leak air. Plus they are quite old. I recently loaded that trailer with a full load and no issues.
It's possible something on my last tow could have sliced the tire. It was on the inside so not obvious.
Now, if I could only find some reputable trailer tires not made in china.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:03 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I replaced the tires I put on the same c rated 205 type tires that were on there originally from featherlite. I had the tire shop look to see if they have any d rated and they are 225's, but I've got room so I'll go with those next.
Seems like trailer tires are hit and miss. On my open trailer I've probably got 30k or more total miles. At about the mid-point I replaced all hubs, bearings, brakes, tires, etc., just like my other trailer mentioned above. Those tires now have probably 15k miles (rough estimate) are nearly bald and have yet to leak air. Plus they are quite old. I recently loaded that trailer with a full load and no issues.
It's possible something on my last tow could have sliced the tire. It was on the inside so not obvious.
Now, if I could only find some reputable trailer tires not made in china.

Here you go http://www.titanstore.com/search.php made in America probably last ones. Hope they make trailer tires I did not search. They brought suit against Chinese tires being dumped here illegally and won. I use their ties on my telescopic forklifts. Chinese 350 Titan 500 bucks. I use to buy GY but they went to Indonesia and finally bailed on the whole market and sold to Titan. You get what you pay for. I would rather have a GY not made here if that is the last choice at least I would hope GY has conrol of the quality. Next tires will be Titan if they make them for my trailer.

They also have an entire line of trailer parts.

I got stuck and had to buy a Chinese tire for the Lull because the dealer only had that crap. Chinese tire vs Titan result is Titan is wearing better, rub the Chinese tire and it is like charcoal turns your hand black. It is breaking down from UV. F'in junk and more will come as most people here only look for cheap. Both tires on same machine and Chinese tire is about 3 weeks older, Now I just keep two Titans in stock if I need one.

I heed to get the Chinese tire off and sell it. I don't want to have a load up 48 feet and the tire blows and telehandler will just go over. If we don't buy American their will be no choice as it is in many cases already.

China can't make a toy or dog food with out poison.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-10-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:23 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

trailer tires here http://www.titanstore.com/search/56/0
Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

My featherlite is about 2 years old, but only has around 2000miles on it. I had a d-rated Carlisle "unroll" on the way to VIR in the fall. Literally, the tread just came off, BUT LUCKILY the chord was intact and I made it to the track before changing it.

As another thread has already discussed, trailer tires in particular seem to be crap crap crap.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
My featherlite is about 2 years old, but only has around 2000miles on it. I had a d-rated Carlisle "unroll" on the way to VIR in the fall. Literally, the tread just came off, BUT LUCKILY the chord was intact and I made it to the track before changing it.

As another thread has already discussed, trailer tires in particular seem to be crap crap crap.
Probably Chinese crap. Under inflation will kill any tire with the side wall flexing developing heat.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:07 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What brand of tire was that? It does look sort of like a factory defect, but I'm not sure about the slight bulge on the right edge of the orange area. Something is just sticking out that does not look like cord material.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen a couple of people post about valve stems. Mine busted less than a year old. Was backing up to the garage to check pressures and noticed a flat tire. When I put the air hose on it busted completely off. Went to check the others and they all busted when I bent them a little. Put metal replacements on all 5.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the link John.

The tires say towmaster 2 on them.

Every where I've looked trailer tires (except goodyear) all have some stupid name and seem to be chinese garbage.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:25 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

before I bought mine I used to rent them

every one blew at least one tire

could never figure out why trailer tires are smaller than then tire on the vehicle your towing
Old 03-10-2010, 07:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

My tire dealer told me there are no non-radial tires made in the USA anymore for cars. Just no money in it.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:58 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks for the link John.

The tires say towmaster 2 on them.

Every where I've looked trailer tires (except goodyear) all have some stupid name and seem to be chinese garbage.
I have some sort of Chinese tires on my 18' open trailer. It's an '06 and while there is no indication at all of anything even looking wrong, I think they will go away this season.

I have heard stories about the Goodyear Marathon tire not being that reliable. I see on the Tire Rack website that they now carry Kumho radial trailer tires. Anyone know anything about them??
Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
before I bought mine I used to rent them

every one blew at least one tire

could never figure out why trailer tires are smaller than then tire on the vehicle your towing
cheapness
Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

need to get about 4 of my trailer tires changed out on my triple axle used 40' enclosed the guy had regular tires on it, ended up blowing 2 of the six just last year

they were regular rated M+S car tyres though

Get notified of new replies

To service your trailer often

Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Just looked at the GY Marathon I just bought and it is made in USA. I had good luck with them on my 10,000 lb trailer. I have had 10,000 lb on the trailer
Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Les Schwab was on the list as a distributor for titan so I called them. They said they can get them, but they had problems with them peeling off so their supplier stopped carrying them. They told me they sell goodyear and carlisle most often. I preferred to have a bias tire and goodyear only has radials, but the sales man assured me that the radials can take as much load as the bias and there would be no issues so I went with a set of goodyears. I'm upgrading from a 205 C rating to a 225 D which gives me several thousand lbs. more capacity for the set.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Les Schwab was on the list as a distributor for titan so I called them. They said they can get them, but they had problems with them peeling off so their supplier stopped carrying them. They told me they sell goodyear and carlisle most often. I preferred to have a bias tire and goodyear only has radials, but the sales man assured me that the radials can take as much load as the bias and there would be no issues so I went with a set of goodyears. I'm upgrading from a 205 C rating to a 225 D which gives me several thousand lbs. more capacity for the set.
radials are better and take the load no matter if it on a semi or real heavy equipment they cost more and wear better.

Quick Reply: service your trailer often