Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing torque in pickups is now crazy 765 ft. lb.!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Towing torque in pickups is now crazy 765 ft. lb.!

Last Updated: March 11. 2010 1:00AM
2011 Sierra Denali HD
GM unveils most powerful diesel pickup
Scott Burgess / The Detroit News

Diesel power has reached a new mark for heavy-duty pickup trucks.

The all-new 6.6-liter Duramax diesel engine will deliver 397 horsepower and 765 pound-feet of torque, GMC officials said Wednesday when they took the wraps off of the 2011 Sierra Denali HD pickup at the National Truck Equipment Association Convention in St. Louis.

The pickup sibling of the heavy-duty Chevrolet Silverado, which was unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show, will include the strongest diesel engine being offered by any major automaker.

Advertisement

Ford Motor Co. recently announced its all-new 6.7-liter V-8 diesel engine, which produces 385 horsepower and 735 pound-feet of torque. The 2010 Dodge Ram Heavy-Duty offers a 6.7-liter I-6 Cummins diesel engine that creates 350 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque.

"The new Sierra Denali HD is the latest expression of GMC's Denali philosophy of blending capability with premium features and styling," said Lisa Hutchinson, GMC product marketing director, in a statement.

GMC will also offer a 6-liter V-8 gas engine that produces 360 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque.

The new GMC heavy-duty trucks will provide up to 20,000 pounds towing capacity and up to 6,335 pounds payload capacity.

The new Duramax engine, which is mated to an Allison six-speed automatic transmission, will also get an 11 percent fuel economy improvement, as well as 63 percent lower emissions. EPA regulations do not require automakers to provide mileage figures.

As the U.S. economy begins to show signs of a recovery, carmakers hope to see pickup sales increase. Through February, GMC has sold 13,478 full-size pickups, according to Autodata Corp. Sales remain sluggish and are down 6.4 percent in 2010 for GMC.

The new diesel will be B20 capable, meaning it can burn diesel mixed with 20 percent bio-diesel. The overhaul of GM's heavy-duty pickups also includes a stronger fully boxed frame as well as improvements throughout the vehicle.

With Ford and GM both pushing out all-new heavy-duty trucks for the 2011 model year and Chrysler Group LLC offering its new heavy-duty truck now, the pickup wars should only get more interesting.

The 2011 GMC Sierra Denali HD will arrive in dealerships in the early summer.

sburgess@detnews.com (313) 223-3217

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz0htWNcQYz
Old 03-11-2010, 05:03 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Awesome!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:04 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

imagine once a programmer is done to it !!!

765 with fact warranty is nuts
Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool eh!!!!!

I have heard my LMM with the Banks on 6 is pretty high. I do know I can turn all 4 rears through 4 gears up the freeway ramp, a bit of tail wagging, have to back off and tap the breaks so not going way to fast when pulling onto the freeway Pretty fun stuff really.

Next waiting for me to have some time, EFI Live, a few other mods

Rick
Old 03-11-2010, 06:41 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TUNDRA MR. TOYODA
Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Not sure if I would want a 20,000 lb load behind me in a pickup truck. I guess it works if they made it! Not sure ow many really need it. I think from what I hear most would be happy with 500 and better mileage. They were supposed to have smaller diesel but it was canceled due to the money crunch. Not sure if Ford did the same with there small diesel.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dvandentop
imagine once a programmer is done to it !!!

765 with fact warranty is nuts
Few small mods and your over 800 it's nuts I would like to see dyno of the power and will the tranny hold up if you were towing 20,000 a lot. My Dodge has 450 but it gets good mileage!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

One issue that comes up with trucks that have so much towing capacity: the driver's licensing requirements. The GVWR on these trucks is so high, when you add a trailer to it you can exceed the 26,0001 lb GVWRC rating that triggers a potential CDL requirement.

The laws are not keeping up with the progress of technology.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
One issue that comes up with trucks that have so much towing capacity: the driver's licensing requirements. The GVWR on these trucks is so high, when you add a trailer to it you can exceed the 26,0001 lb GVWRC rating that triggers a potential CDL requirement.

The laws are not keeping up with the progress of technology.
Your right it will be 1000+- over 26000 I guess. Wonder what the price will be?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Few small mods and your over 800 it's nuts I would like to see dyno of the power and will the tranny hold up if you were towing 20,000 a lot. My Dodge has 450 but it gets good mileage!
The Allison is one mean transmission! I have torn them down for learning purposes and it is one helluva tranny. Extremely simple yet efficient design.

Remember...no mods until warranty expires. That includes non-gm tunes. They will void factory warranty.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Towing torque in pickups is now crazy 765 ft. lb.!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing torque in pickups is now crazy 765 ft. lb.!