Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Directional tire question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:19 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Directional tire question

Ok searched and could not find an answer.... Does a directional tire only need to run in correct direction for wet conditions? Net on dry pavement can I run it in any direction?

Running NT05 Square and want to swap side to side front to back on the track ...
Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I searched the internet and found the statement below, and a bunch of other similar things on many other sites:

Some all-season as well as performance tires have a "directional" tread pattern. Directional tires have a "one-way" tread pattern that are optimized for the direction the tires rotate on the car. They must therefore be mounted on either the left or right side. Little arrows or triangles on the sidewall indicate which way the tire is supposed to turn. The tread blocks and grooves are angled to optimize handling. They also do a good job of channeling water out from under the tire on wet surfaces to reduce hydroplaning and improve wet traction. Directional tires can be rotated front-to-rear but cannot be rotated side-to-side.
I bold-faced what I think is the pertinent info in that statement.

If you wanted to run some tires down to nothing on the street in dry conditions and wanted to swap them to get the max wear out of them, I'd say go ahead and swap sides.

Butt.....for the track, like that bold-faced part above says, the tire will give best traction and handling if mounted to run in the direction it's designed for.

I swap my F1 Supercar tires side-to-side. The tread blocks are designed so that there is an inner/outer side of the tire, but they can rotate either direction. I also swap Hoosiers, but of course there's no tread!

For the track, I'd stick with running the NT05 in the direction it was designed for.

Hopefully somebody with experience with the NT05 can chime in.

Bob
Old 03-14-2010, 08:20 AM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most folks will tell you they perceive no difference in dry conditions. When camber-induced wear becomes an issue on the inside, flip the tire on the rim so you can swap sides, and even out the wear (also keeps them in the proper orientation).
Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Ok searched and could not find an answer.... Does a directional tire only need to run in correct direction for wet conditions? Net on dry pavement can I run it in any direction?

Running NT05 Square and want to swap side to side front to back on the track ...
You're correct. It only matters in the wet. I do it all the time with Nitto 555RIIs to balance wear.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:44 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I vote with the others, really only matters for the wet. I've rotated pretty much every tire I've ever owned to maximize tread life, street and track.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Having run summito's backwards I can vouch for the fact that directiona tires it only matters in the wet.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:15 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Never had a problem with running tires in or against the marked direction on the tire, dry conditions only. Frankly I doubt if it'll make a huge difference in the wet either; I've seen tires running backwards due to a mistake that the driver never noticed.

Trust us, you'll be fine.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-16-2010, 08:22 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys... did 4 sessions at VIR then moved them from front to back for another 4 sessions... Now will swap side for next event
Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
thanks guys... did 4 sessions at VIR then moved them from front to back for another 4 sessions... Now will swap side for next event
Agree with the others on their tire experience as well.............drag race or road race or daily driving in the dry
FWIW, I have run misdirected at the strip.........60'/tire heat was the same & I won some $$$ on a few bets

Get notified of new replies

To Directional tire question

Quick Reply: Directional tire question