Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Opinions and Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:56 PM
hellrazr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire Opinions and Suggestions

I've been getting more and more track time (HPDE on road courses) and I'm trying to decide on what to do about wheels/tires. My C5 Z06 is dual use for some street time and track time with a standard Z06 alignment.

I have two sets of OEM Z06 rims, and I'm wondering what's a good, cost-effective approach to tires? I'm not looking for maximum grip and performance, I want economy so that I can get the most track time for least cost.

So, I was thinking of using four 17 inch rims for track tires, and using the four 18s for street. I was thinking Nitto N01s for the track wheels, and Firestone Wide Ovals for the street wheels. Is this a good cost-effective approach? Any other better ideas or suggestions in terms of wheel combos, or different types of tires?
Old 03-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Toy90
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the NT01s and they grip really well on the track. I would say it depends on how many HPDE's you plan to do. If you only do a couple a year, it may not be worth the 2nd set of tires for the track. You might be better off with just a good set of summer tires. Another factor is how hard do you push the car or yourself while on track? If you are running the right line and making your street tires beg for mercy/lose grip a lot, you may want the track tires. Do you drive the car hard on the street or pretty tame? If you are tame you can buy cheaper street tires and afford better track ones. Good quality UHP street tires have pretty good grip for dual duty but we all know that "good" ends up being not enough sooner or later...
Old 03-15-2010, 02:45 PM
hellrazr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toy90
I have the NT01s and they grip really well on the track. I would say it depends on how many HPDE's you plan to do.
At least 8 per year -- I hope!

This year will be much less than that, but it will increase by next year.

Another factor is how hard do you push the car or yourself while on track? If you are running the right line and making your street tires beg for mercy/lose grip a lot, you may want the track tires.
I've reached the point where I'm not getting what I want out of street tires on the track (tread chunking, getting loose easy due to heat, uneven wear but can't rotate them, etc).

Do you drive the car hard on the street or pretty tame? If you are tame you can buy cheaper street tires and afford better track ones. Good quality UHP street tires have pretty good grip for dual duty but we all know that "good" ends up being not enough sooner or later...
I'm always at the speed limit and tame on the streets, so a good long-lasting street tire is fine. Noise isn't a concern. The UHP seem pretty good for the job, thanks!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use the 18" wheels on the track, and buy scrubs from John Berget (JB Racing Tires). John will sell you four R888s, shaved for max grip, then driven for about one session, for about $450 shipped to your door. They'll last 2/3 or 3/4 as long as the new NT01s, perform better, and cost about 1/3 the price.

Email me for John Berget's contact info.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Opinions and Suggestions

Quick Reply: Tire Opinions and Suggestions