Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad size question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Brake pad size question

I discovered today that my Hawk pads are different sizes (not corvette). One is quite a bit longer than the other and there are 2 of each in the box. There are no clearance issues requiring either pad to be in a specific location.

In the past all of the pads have been the same size and use the same metal backing plate. I have 3 sets of these and all are the same with 2 of each pad size so it isn't a mistake. They are HT-10's.

Question .... Caliper has the piston on the inside of the rotor. Which side of the rotor does the larger pad go on ??????????

Last edited by rbl; 03-21-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Add Photo
Old 03-21-2010, 02:14 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

without knowing more, I'd say you need to talk to Hawk or the caliper maker to find out. If the caliper floats, but only so far, it would all for more wear on one side. However, I've never seen anything like this, and suggest you find someone familiar with your particular application.

**edit, it looks like one is deeper, like it has a different "swept" area for a different size rotor. In other words, sometimes if you use the same caliper on a different rotor, you have to modify the pad shape slightly. Have you checked to make sure both fit the face of the rotor fully?

Last edited by davidfarmer; 03-21-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:43 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

These are on my SRF and not the Corvette.

The bottom pad is what we have always used in eh past and these new sets have these two different pad shapes. Both fit the rotor perfectly however and the top arc is identical.

I will try to call Hawk I guess as I am really stumped on this.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pad size question

Quick Reply: Brake pad size question