Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rain & wrecks....Road Atlanta National results

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rain & wrecks....Road Atlanta National results

Yesterdays weather couldn't have been nicer. Today's weather SUCKED. Cold and Rainy all day....
We were the last group....all the previous groups had multiple wrecks due to the weather. SO we didn't go off until 3:30>>>the first time!
the first 3 rows of the grid was 2 GT1 cars in p1&2. I started 3rd, snow 4th, onks 5th behind me, GT2 Porche 6th. we come down into 12 to take the green flag. there is more water on the outside lane and the p2 GT1 car is trying to force himself over into my lane. I hold my ground, they drop the green and all hell breaks loose. I follow theP1 GT1 car, and he and I go cleanly thru 1; only to encounter a black flag all at turn2. As we come into the pits i could look down the front straight and saw Onks vette sitting on the
P2 GT1 car. They regridded us back to our original qualifying positions and then we sat there and waited about 40minutes for them to pick up the pieces of the 2 cars. Jerry's car came in on a flat bed and was a total mess. Every side of the car was hit and hurt. I'm not sure what happened since it was behind me...so I'll let Jerry or Ed chime in (both have video). All I know is Jerry filed a protest and it wasn't resolved when I left.
So.....about 40 min later we tried again. We had yet another suprise.....a
T2 all wheel drive turbo EVO that ran earilier(whose fastest lap in the dry might be a 1.39), refilled his tank, put STO decals on the car and started at the back of the pack...........and was in the lead by 2 laps!!!!!!!!
STO PROVISIONAL results (due to protests):
1. Marty Grand 1.49.201 EVO (4 wd)
2. Bob Mayer 1.50.879 Corvette
3. Russ Snow 1.57.167 Corvette
4. Ed Lewis 1.56.369 Corvette
5. CJ Moses 2.00.008 Galante (4wd)
6. Barry Vincion 2.21.459 Corvette
DNF Onks
DNS Wilson

Last edited by Racer-38; 03-21-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I am assuming Jerry himself is ok?
Thanks for the updates...
Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That sucks...........am assuming Jerry is fine.......will shoot him an email tomorrow after he gets home. Damn........
Old 03-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
That sucks...........am assuming Jerry is fine........
Sorry..............yeah, Jerry is fine. Mad as hell (not to mention Debbie), but fine.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

That's really unfortunate Glad he is physically okay though
Old 03-21-2010, 09:49 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Natha spoke to Deb.....said she was a wreck as 'it' happened right in front of her.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:04 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Man, that just stinks. As much as I love driving in the rain, I always worry about things like this happening.

Jerry, if there is anything I can do to help, let me know. If you need to borrow a car to get your fourth race in (don't know if you have run 4 yet or not), let's talk. Mine should be ready by mid May and there are some open weekends.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Good job, Bob!

Ugh...but thankfully no one was hurt.

We had a 3-series Bimmer do 3 barrel rolls at recent Buttonwillow regional. The cage/belts/seat did their job and he walked away. I looked at the car later...no cage failure I could see. Driver built his own cage.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:48 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Man, that just stinks. As much as I love driving in the rain, I always worry about things like this happening.

Jerry, if there is anything I can do to help, let me know. If you need to borrow a car to get your fourth race in (don't know if you have run 4 yet or not), let's talk. Mine should be ready by mid May and there are some open weekends.
Dave......it doesn't surprise me at all you are the first in to offer assistance........props to you my friend.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Wren
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

It looks like we may have written off at least one car in group 5 (wings and things). A brand new 016 based CSR. 3 barrel rolls down the back straight, ended up on the lid and he crawled out before the workers could get to him. It took 3 trucks to bring back all of the parts he left everywhere. He was walking around in impound before we were even released.

I was glad that our driver managed to get by with just being stuck in the gravel off of turn 5. That was a disaster.

Did the track seem a little slow to anyone else? Especially compared to the new pavement a few years ago?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is Jerry filed a protest and it wasn't resolved when I left.

What was the protest about?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymfYnbqIV5g

Start of the race. The red Vette(Snow) spun and took out the GT1 Vette that then took out Jerry. Then the Red Vette ended up in front of me and finished the race with small damage to the front of his car.

Last edited by Fast-Eddie; 03-22-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymfYnbqIV5g

Start of the race. The red Vette(Snow) spun and took out the GT1 Vette that then took out Jerry. Then the Red Vette ended up in front of me and finished the race with small damage to the front of his car.
Glad you didn't get caught up in it but damn that sucks for Jerry and that GT1 car
Old 03-22-2010, 01:00 PM
beluede
3rd Gear

Ed,

Thanks so much for posting the video... and the explanation. I am actually glad that I didn't have to watch Jerry up in the air sliding down the wall again. Thanks again for all your help!!

Also, thanks to all the guys/gals for helping me out!!!!!

The car is still in the trailer so we still don't know the extent of the damage. I have posted a couple of pictures that I took yesterday.. Here is the link:

http://www.vettesport.net/mod/galler...php?albumid=13

Get notified of new replies

To rain & wrecks....Road Atlanta National results

Quick Reply: rain & wrecks....Road Atlanta National results