Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparco Chrono Sport Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Toddzilla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparco Chrono Sport Opinions?

I'm looking for seats to put in my 01 Z06.

At home I've got a pair of sparco sprints, which will fit, but it's a little too agressive for daily driving, and more importantly, it will not allow the stock seat belt to sit on my hip.

Enter the sparco chrono sport. It will fit, the belt should sit on my hip, and I'd imagine it will be 100x better than the stock seats.

The problem is these are a relatively new seat, so I can't seem to find any reviews on them, what kind of people they fit, etc. With the roadster being discontinued, this seems to be one of the few seats that meets my criteria and fits in the corvette.

I will eventually be putting a roll bar and 6-pt harnesses in the car, so I would have to cut a hole for the sub belts, but I don't consider that a big deal.

Anybody have any experience with these?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Sparko Evo or Evo II. Lap belts should go though holes, not over the sides of the seat.

http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-chro...productid=1337
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Toddzilla
Advanced

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Sparko Evo or Evo II. Lap belts should go though holes, not over the sides of the seat.

http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-chro...productid=1337
I've had an EVO II, the seat was fine, but I don't see how the recepticle is going to go through the lap belt hole in order to work properly on the street. The outboard side is easy as it will just go through the lap belt hole.

The stock seatbelt working correctly is an absolute requirement for me.

Hence me looking at seats with lower bolters.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Arizen? Sparco-based, but more $
Old 03-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Toddzilla
Advanced

Well I'm aware of those seats, but I am specifically interested if anyone has tried, or sat in a sparco chrono sport, which seems to be the successor of the roadster.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:19 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Old 03-25-2010, 06:51 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-25-2010, 07:37 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I understand but, if or when you put in a roll bar, and harness, you put your self into a different technical inspection / safety inspection level.

Harness must be routed THOUGH HOLES in the seat. And that includes the lap belts, must go though holes in the side of the seats, sub belts through holes in the bottom of the seat and shoulder harness though holes level with your shoulders in the seat.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Toddzilla
Advanced

I understand but, if or when you put in a roll bar, and harness, you put your self into a different technical inspection / safety inspection level.

Harness must be routed THOUGH HOLES in the seat. And that includes the lap belts, must go though holes in the side of the seats, sub belts through holes in the bottom of the seat and shoulder harness though holes level with your shoulders in the seat.
I don't believe that is true, in my 8 years of doing HPDEs I've never heard of a "through holes" rule for lap belts. In fact, my E36 M3 had recaro SRD seats with 6-point harnesses, with ony holes for the sub belt and shoulder belts. Because the sides where the lap belts came through were so low, no holes were present or needed. That car had gone through tech at least 20 times with different organizations.

What I'm trying to say is, if the seat side bolsters are tall enough to warrant holes, then yes, they need to go through the holes.

If the side bolsters are low enough for he belt to ride on your pelvis as it should, no holes required for the lap belt.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Is now for almost all events. PCA / BMW lead the way.

However, that is why I suggest looking at the Evo or Evo II and not any seats with the thigh bolster low enough for the stock belts to go over.

It almost one or the other.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Toddzilla
Advanced

Is now for almost all events. PCA / BMW lead the way.

However, that is why I suggest looking at the Evo or Evo II and not any seats with the thigh bolster low enough for the stock belts to go over.

It almost one or the other.

Hmm....well then that kind of sucks as there is no seat that I will want to use for dual-use.

The EVOII is a nice seat and comfortable, but getting in and out of it in a daily driver will get old quick, not to mention the seat belt issues.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:31 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought these cloth versions along with the brackets and sliders ... very satisfied with them. Installed 6 points and can also use my stock belts.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-new-post.html
Old 03-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Toddzilla
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I just bought these cloth versions along with the brackets and sliders ... very satisfied with them. Installed 6 points and can also use my stock belts.

Did you cut a hole in the bottom for your sub belts?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Toddzilla
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra

Oh, and how is the quality of the fabric compared to a sparco roadster?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:38 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Arizen seats come with sub slots built in. I never saw a Sparco Roadster in person so I guess I cant speak to that, but I'm pretty happy with these cloth seats from Arizen. Fabric is installed well and appears to me that it will last. I guess only time will tell how durable it is.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Toddzilla
Advanced

I had a friend of mine go sit in a sparco chrono sport and a roadster side by side today.

He said that the chrono was much more supportive than the roadster overall while still having a low enough thigh bolster to not interfere with the lap belts.

So these seats are $499 from sparco, then I figure arizen sidemounts, sliders, brackets for $300 and you're at about $800 per seat with a plug and play type setup.

I think I'm going to order one.

Get notified of new replies

To Sparco Chrono Sport Opinions?

Quick Reply: Sparco Chrono Sport Opinions?