Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CorvetteForum presents Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge!! We've been invited!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just saw the video of the record breaking run in the f40. We will need a modded Z06 and a great driver to win this
Old 04-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for Danny(RaftRacer). 2nd vote for Ken (L98terror). 3rd Aaron Quine . 4th Rob Morrison (RacerX).

Honestly I am sure Danny could win it. Put him in a decent set up C5Z or C6Z...or Mongoose and I'm sure the results would be great.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Someone should put Danny in a ZR1 for this.
I agree with Cass!

Someone needs to get Obama to let Danny use one of the Gov't Motors ZR1's for this event. The Union (since they got their ownership for free) could pay his way there and back, and everyone wins! Danny gets a trophy, Obama gets bragging rights and the Union gets to build more cars!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 PM
M3MOTORSPORTS
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I'm nominating: short-throw, Katech_Jason, LG Motorsports, Aaron Pfadt, and ACProducts. I can't figure out how to friggin post pix, but all of these guy's street rides have Stank on it and can win this cup Somebody help me out with pix.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:58 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba
Once you have read the rules and watched the video of the record setting Ferrari's run, you will see that one of our typical Road Racing or Autocrossing Corvettes might not be allowed in this competition.

First: They don't allow Racing or R compound tires. Only DOT approved tires with a Wear Rating of 100 or greater are allowed. Also, they do not allow the modification of the tires or their tread - No shaving.

Second: The entrant vehicles must be Street-Legal - Registered - Insured.
You don't get over to the Autocrossing & Roadracing section very often do you?

Originally Posted by Robb M.
We need a member of the forum who is willing to take their car to this racing event (which is by invitation only)
I didn't see that anywhere in the rules. Did I miss it somewhere?
http://www.spectre341challenge.com/sign-up/

Last edited by sperkins; 04-10-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Aren't both those events high speed straight line events?
Well Bonneville is, but Silver State is both and in the same state.
Speeds are very high. Van Scoy holds many records and is considered the fastest man ever in a C4, no kidding aside.

Both Teddy and Gary are many times class winners. This is up their alley. I'm sure you or Popp would do well too.

Don't forget Arizona. We have a bunch of fast drivers in Corvettes. Just ask the Rocky Mountain Region of how fast Arizona is at Miller.

Last edited by 96solo; 04-12-2010 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:42 AM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Someone should put Danny in a ZR1 for this.
I believe I know of such a car. It is a head and cam ZR1 making 650 to the wheels with LG coilovers, spherical bearings and sways. The guy is a Speedsouth customer, and might be willing to let Danny drive it.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 PM
0CorvetteRecycling
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by M3MOTORSPORTS
I'm nominating: short-throw, Katech_Jason, LG Motorsports, Aaron Pfadt, and ACProducts. I can't figure out how to friggin post pix, but all of these guy's street rides have Stank on it and can win this cup Somebody help me out with pix.
I'll second the nomination for Aaron Pfadt!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:00 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I think we should try to talk Lou G. into this one.

Richard Newton
Old 04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
RedSSR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I ran this when it was the Virginia City Hillclimb back in 2002. Here are a couple of posts from a previous forum about my experience:

Viginia City Hillclimb

Has anyone heard of the Virginia City Hillclimb? It is in Virginia City Nevada outside of Carson City. 5.2 miles of 2 lane starting at 5,200 ft and finishing at 6,400 ft. Steep drop off on the left and rock wall on the right, no room for error. I am running it this weekend to see how it is but I'm not sure if I'll really go for it knowing if you crash your done, maybe dead. Crazy, maybe but we'll see. A guy in a Ferrari F40 is going to try and set the course record. I ran with him at the OTC (Open Track Challenge). I will be running street tires the stock F1s for this event. I'll post when I get back to let everyone know how the Z06 did. Later.

Well that Hillclimb was pretty freaky. I was in the first run group of the day and sent up on my first run around 3:55 for the 5.2 miles. I hit a jackrabbit in turn 2 on the first run. The road was pretty slick. I ran the second run of the session at around 3:50. Then our first morning session was over. We went to the staging area to walk up a hill to watch the second run group go. We got up the hill and had a vantage point where we could see the last 6 corners. We watched a few cars come through and then I was looking at this black Viper coming up the hill. It looked like he early apexed corner 16 and was going to go off, then he got into the power to try and save it. Then his car pointed straight off the road and he went off. He was above the tops of the trees when he went off, flew right over a couple of them. The car then hit the tops of the trees and started to cartwheel. He first hit the ground from about 40' in the air. He went down about 150'. The car was not even recognizable. It was a small twisted hunk of metal. We watched the parmedics go down the hill and check on the people, we heard there was also a passenger in the car. The paramedics took about 30 seconds checking on the condition of the people in the car and then they all just stood around. It was then just a matter of waiting for the coroner. This was the craziest, most spectacular wreck I have ever seen, even from TV or movies. I could not even believe it was real while watching it. That was it for me for the event, I quit and will never run in this kind of event again. That is just my personal opion. When you are on a racetrack and go off you have an excellent chance of just messing up your car and not yourself. I am still freaked out by what I saw. I am not sure what the rest of the event was all about because we just hung out with some friends in town and didn't go back to see what was up.

Here is a story I found about the incident. I guess it was 250' down the hill. I also do not believe the part in the story that the people were not wearing seat belts.

June 16, 2002

Two dead in hill climb race accident

by Brian Corley

VIRGINIA CITY -- Two people were killed Saturday when their vehicle plunged 250 feet over the edge of the Virginia City truck route during a car rally practice run.
The victims were identified as driver Patrick Jemison, 42, of Incline Village, and his passenger, Virginia Davis, 43, of Show Low, Ariz.
Officials said the accident occurred at 10:22 a.m. when Jemison misjudged a corner and went over an embankment at moderate speed, clipped a tree, then landed 250 feet down a slope, according to Storey County Sheriff's spokesman John Tyson.
Jemison, driving the Viper, and Davis were trapped in the car as it tumbled down the hill.
By the time it came to rest, the Viper was unrecognizable and both people had to be cut from the car. The race was stopped and the road was closed for four hours while rescue personnel pulled the victims from the Viper.
Neither of them was wearing seatbelts, but because they weren't thrown from the vehicle, it appears seatbelts would not have helped protect the victims, according to the Nevada Highway Patrol.
Both the Patrol and Storey County firefighters responded to the accident.
Dean Benz, chairman of Audi Club International which organizes the event, said it is very rare for a fatal accident to occur during the race.
"Accidents like this are extremely rare," he said. "We've only had three fatalities in this race. The last accident was in the early 1980s."
Tyson confirmed it has been some time since the last accident.
"We all understand the risks and as a racing family we feel the loss deeply," Benz said. "We belive the participants would have wished us to go on and continue the race and hope the communities will consent to it."
Benz said racers have experience on closed and road courses like Thunderhill and Sears Point.
This is the 31st Virginia City Hill Climb, which follows Alternate Highway 341 from Silver City to Virginia City. The road has an elevation climb of 1,210 feet, 20 turns and a cliff area.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
larry00
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSSR
I ran this when it was the Virginia City Hillclimb back in 2002. Here are a couple of posts from a previous forum about my experience:

Viginia City Hillclimb

Has anyone heard of the Virginia City Hillclimb? It is in Virginia City Nevada outside of Carson City. 5.2 miles of 2 lane starting at 5,200 ft and finishing at 6,400 ft. Steep drop off on the left and rock wall on the right, no room for error. I am running it this weekend to see how it is but I'm not sure if I'll really go for it knowing if you crash your done, maybe dead. Crazy, maybe but we'll see. A guy in a Ferrari F40 is going to try and set the course record. I ran with him at the OTC (Open Track Challenge). I will be running street tires the stock F1s for this event. I'll post when I get back to let everyone know how the Z06 did. Later.

Well that Hillclimb was pretty freaky. I was in the first run group of the day and sent up on my first run around 3:55 for the 5.2 miles. I hit a jackrabbit in turn 2 on the first run. The road was pretty slick. I ran the second run of the session at around 3:50. Then our first morning session was over. We went to the staging area to walk up a hill to watch the second run group go. We got up the hill and had a vantage point where we could see the last 6 corners. We watched a few cars come through and then I was looking at this black Viper coming up the hill. It looked like he early apexed corner 16 and was going to go off, then he got into the power to try and save it. Then his car pointed straight off the road and he went off. He was above the tops of the trees when he went off, flew right over a couple of them. The car then hit the tops of the trees and started to cartwheel. He first hit the ground from about 40' in the air. He went down about 150'. The car was not even recognizable. It was a small twisted hunk of metal. We watched the parmedics go down the hill and check on the people, we heard there was also a passenger in the car. The paramedics took about 30 seconds checking on the condition of the people in the car and then they all just stood around. It was then just a matter of waiting for the coroner. This was the craziest, most spectacular wreck I have ever seen, even from TV or movies. I could not even believe it was real while watching it. That was it for me for the event, I quit and will never run in this kind of event again. That is just my personal opion. When you are on a racetrack and go off you have an excellent chance of just messing up your car and not yourself. I am still freaked out by what I saw. I am not sure what the rest of the event was all about because we just hung out with some friends in town and didn't go back to see what was up.

Here is a story I found about the incident. I guess it was 250' down the hill. I also do not believe the part in the story that the people were not wearing seat belts.

June 16, 2002

Two dead in hill climb race accident

by Brian Corley

VIRGINIA CITY -- Two people were killed Saturday when their vehicle plunged 250 feet over the edge of the Virginia City truck route during a car rally practice run.
The victims were identified as driver Patrick Jemison, 42, of Incline Village, and his passenger, Virginia Davis, 43, of Show Low, Ariz.
Officials said the accident occurred at 10:22 a.m. when Jemison misjudged a corner and went over an embankment at moderate speed, clipped a tree, then landed 250 feet down a slope, according to Storey County Sheriff's spokesman John Tyson.
Jemison, driving the Viper, and Davis were trapped in the car as it tumbled down the hill.
By the time it came to rest, the Viper was unrecognizable and both people had to be cut from the car. The race was stopped and the road was closed for four hours while rescue personnel pulled the victims from the Viper.
Neither of them was wearing seatbelts, but because they weren't thrown from the vehicle, it appears seatbelts would not have helped protect the victims, according to the Nevada Highway Patrol.
Both the Patrol and Storey County firefighters responded to the accident.
Dean Benz, chairman of Audi Club International which organizes the event, said it is very rare for a fatal accident to occur during the race.
"Accidents like this are extremely rare," he said. "We've only had three fatalities in this race. The last accident was in the early 1980s."
Tyson confirmed it has been some time since the last accident.
"We all understand the risks and as a racing family we feel the loss deeply," Benz said. "We belive the participants would have wished us to go on and continue the race and hope the communities will consent to it."
Benz said racers have experience on closed and road courses like Thunderhill and Sears Point.
This is the 31st Virginia City Hill Climb, which follows Alternate Highway 341 from Silver City to Virginia City. The road has an elevation climb of 1,210 feet, 20 turns and a cliff area.
Were not wearing seat belts ? That says allot about experience !
Mountain courses have special hazards !
Great Brakes are a must on windy twisty road courses !
Think twice about stock brakes , heat kills !
Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 PM
1stZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the race event have enough people to monitor race conditions? Each vehicle check to make sure it is safe? Are there enough manpower to check the roads after each car run to insure the road conditions are safe? I'd to run behind someone who might have sprung an oil/coolant leak then go off cuz of it.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:22 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337

RedLS1GTO
He is my choice too!

GO REDLS1GTO!!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:35 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337

RedLS1GTO
The fact that I (or more likely my car) would even be mentioned in a thread like this is an honor and I am flattered.

The car is actually street legal (in Ohio) and has insurance but I don't think there is any way I could afford to get myself and the car out to Nevada.

There is no way that I should ever be mentioned in the same breath as some of the others named in here. I hope somebody can step up and make a good showing for the forum. I agree with what was said before... put somebody like Danny in a Z and let 'er rip.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
RedSSR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by larry00
Were not wearing seat belts ? That says allot about experience !
Mountain courses have special hazards !
Great Brakes are a must on windy twisty road courses !
Think twice about stock brakes , heat kills !

They were belted. The article was incorrect. Reporter's inaccuracy.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by CorvetteRecycling
I'll second the nomination for Aaron Pfadt!
Thanks Colton! I've been invited by the organizers to enter and I am thinking seriously about doing it. My main question is what to take to the event. My C6Z will likely be in Virginia (the state) for the NCM event at VIR that following Monday. It is also a bit of an issue because I would have to make a few changes to make it legal by the rules.

I might take our new 2010 Camaro or even a different vette. I'll be sure to keep all of you updated on the event and Pfadt's plans.

-Aaron
Old 04-13-2010, 05:45 PM
M3MOTORSPORTS
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rfn026
I think we should try to talk Lou G. into this one.

Richard Newton
and Aaron you will always be a favorite for this!!!!

Last edited by M3MOTORSPORTS; 04-13-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CorvetteForum presents Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge!! We've been invited!!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:09 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We should see if this guy is busy that weekend

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 04-13-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Richor
CF Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow
Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Holy momentum @ 0:58!!

Quick Reply: CorvetteForum presents Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge!! We've been invited!!