Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CorvetteForum presents Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge!! We've been invited!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
Holy momentum @ 0:58!!
Does that mean the video is working? My home internet sucks
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 PM
jawfixer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nominate Danny Popp

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Lets be honest someone like Danny Popp in a Stock Z06 will beat 99.9% of those in modified cars and I wouldn't bet againest him winning in a close to stock car.

BTW isn't his ST1 car street legal My vote goes to Danny, he's only like a 50 time National champion and arguably one of the best amateur drivers in the US. Anyone got a photo they can post up.
I agree with the nomination of Danny representing the midwest
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Does that mean the video is working? My home internet sucks
Its working! The guy driving is almost as crazy as the people standing on the side of the road!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:12 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jawfixer
I agree with the nomination of Danny representing the midwest

John Boos could drive this event very well also. It takes a special somebody to drive 100 percent in a event like this.

As a Forum maybe we should be more interested in sending someone less fast, but more political or for a good cause type thing??? I don't know just throwing out ideas anyways.

Out of the whole forum we have about 5 people signed up

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 04-14-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I 2nd John Boos doing it. I don't know if he could take the time off for it but if he could he would be another GREAT candidate. He used to live out in Colorado too and I'm sure in his younger days he did some hill climbing.

His C4 would be quick and his C5 World Challenge car would be wicked...just would have to put different exhaust on it and some headlights/turn signals to try to make it "street legal".

I really don't know if John could take that much time away from his shop right now though since he's a one man shop.

I think that John, Danny, or Aaron would be the best candidates to represent the forum.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
I 2nd John Boos doing it. I don't know if he could take the time off for it but if he could he would be another GREAT candidate. He used to live out in Colorado too and I'm sure in his younger days he did some hill climbing.

His C4 would be quick and his C5 World Challenge car would be wicked...just would have to put different exhaust on it and some headlights/turn signals to try to make it "street legal".

I really don't know if John could take that much time away from his shop right now though since he's a one man shop.

I think that John, Danny, or Aaron would be the best candidates to represent the forum.
I talked to John last week, make sure you put some pressure on him to make the NASA event in May

Randy
PS I also spoke with your commanding officer at the Boy scouts pine wood derby race. He was there showing off a Army truck, I was there with a Corvette. The kids enjoyed both of them!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Jesselsixer
Instructor

Instead of just nominating people, why don't we have a list of names of people who are willing to do it? That way, we can just vote on who will be sent.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

Yeah I have been talking to him about the NASA event a few times...I think we can get him to show up with the WC car. My C5 might make it with the suspension installed but not the motor. Don't know if it will have Aero installed quite yet for the NASA event.

Wonder who it was that you talked to. Any idea on a name or what they looked like? That's cool that you met someone from my unit though.

I like the idea of getting names of people that would be willing to do the event and then have a poll to see what other people think.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:19 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like a great opportunity someone - maybe I missed it - but I'm not seeing any prize / $ payouts for the car builder, owner or driver. From what I've seen a 'vette that would make a competative showing would run ~ $150,000 + Perhaps IB should provide a 'vette/crew that can compete with the likes of a modded F40 and a proven/qualified/capable nominated CF member could pilot it.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Targa98
Instructor

my vote for danny in a ZR1
Old 04-22-2010, 09:18 AM
IB Patrick
5th Gear

Those of you speaking up for certain members...Ive seen some of them speak up and say that they cannot make it...does anyone know that any of these nominees CAN make it?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by IB Patrick
Those of you speaking up for certain members...Ive seen some of them speak up and say that they cannot make it...does anyone know that any of these nominees CAN make it?
I'm not sure of exactly how this event is going to work, but I can tell you that I am planning on being there. I was invited directly by the organizers and have accepted the invitation. The rub with me is that my C6Z will be in Virginia at VIR for the NCM event on the following Monday and Tuesday.

I was thinking about showing up in the Pfadt Camaro or some other piece. A 2010 Camaro at 4000 lb is not going to be competitive for any FTD type of honors, but might be fun anyhow.

Anyone have a FAST Pfadt equipped car they want to run?!?

Aaron
Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by IB Patrick
Scott Sparkman
SS Racing

Has ran open road races, I don't have a picture. I think his co-driver is his wife!!!

Randy
Old 04-22-2010, 06:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Pfadt

Anyone have a FAST Pfadt equipped car they want to run?!?

Aaron

Are they not all fast?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:35 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't get on their website but it sounds like fastest car wins.

In the road race me and my wife run we're trying to get as close to an average speed for the race. It is cumulative time - once down and once back.

We are running this weekend and averaging 130 mph over 120 miles. There are ~100 curves/turns/bends in the road. We are normally less than 1 second off our time = less than .1 mph. My wife navigates and judges our speed with a stopwatch and waypoints.

The Big Bend Open Road race has been going on for many years. They are very big into safety. They have 2 airplanes in the air at all times. A lifeflite helicopter on standby. At least 2 ampulances on the course. And enough gate watchers connected by radio that a car should always be in sight of someone over the entire course.

Don't think I can make the June race any way - too much going on that month. Would be interested to see how it goes.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

On the official nomination thread Lou stated that he was available and willing to run either a ZR1 or a 500 ci Z06 to represent us.

Seems like a no brainer.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:17 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
On the official nomination thread Lou stated that he was available and willing to run either a ZR1 or a 500 ci Z06 to represent us.

Seems like a no brainer.

Get notified of new replies

To CorvetteForum presents Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge!! We've been invited!!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like a no brainer.

Yeah, that'll work.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Seems like a no brainer.

\

Thanks guys,

Yes, we will be there with Lou driving his ZR1. The driver of the car HAS to be the registered owner of the car, so that eliminates some ringers
Louis will be there to assist his dad (Lou G) with the event.

The car has to be licensed with full street car insurance, and the tires must be DOT tires but can not be the 40 wear rate of the racing DOT tires. They must be a 100 wear rating or higher.

The rules are simple: Go fast, don't crash and bring your best combo to the event.

I would say that the Vivid racing All wheel drive twin turbo with 800 hp will be the car to beat. IT did 206 in the Texas Mile but again, the registered owner of the car has to drive it. So who knows who he is.

We will be leaving Mid Ohio Grand Am Rolex race heading to the Spectre 341 race the following weekend. The car will be brought out by one of our crew here and Lou and Louis will fly out.

Should be interesting. ZR1, LG Headers, + other minor mods. Lets see how it stacks up to the Porsche 997 TT.

Thanks
LGM

Rules:

SPEED BY SPECTRE HIGHWAY 341 CHALLENGE
OFFICIAL RULES

1. Qualifying vehicles must be domestic or import four-wheeled street capable vehicles with a strong resemblance to a current or former production model. No purpose built racecars or kit cars will be allowed to compete. The only open-wheeled vehicles allowed are ‘34-and-older domestic vehicles and replicas thereof.
2. The event will consist of the following elements:
* Open Road/Rally Competition.
3. The registered owner must drive the vehicle during all events.
4. All drivers and passengers must sign a liability waiver. Passengers must be at least 18 years of age, identified and registered before the competition begins and only one passenger may be in the vehicle during any event.
5. During the competition, passengers will not be allowed in any open top or convertible vehicle under any circumstances.
6. A mandatory driver/passenger meeting will be held prior to the first competition.
7. Only official wrist banded drivers and passengers may ride in the cars on the track.
8. All competitors must have current registration, proof of insurance, and a current driver’s license.
9. Participating cars must pass a safety and technical inspection that will emphasize safety. Safety features that do not offer a competitive advantage such as racing specific harnesses roll cages/bars, fire systems, etc, are acceptable. All of the following will be required:
* Functional headlights
* Functional taillights
* Functional brake lights
* Functional turn signals
* Safety-glass windshield
* On board fire extinguisher – A 2.5 lb. Minimum, automotive BC fire extinguisher, with a secure quick-release mounting bracket made of metal. The extinguisher must be within easy reach of the driver.
10. Helmet use is required during all segments of the competition. Helmet must be approved automotive style with a Snell foundation sticker of SA 2005 or later. Motorcycle helmets will not be approved. All convertibles or roadsters must have rollover protection.
11. Non-synthetic clothing (cotton, wool, leather, etc.) covering the torso, arms and legs, plus gloves and leather topped shoes (both without holes) shall be required for any off-road segment (no shorts or short sleeves). The use of racing fire protection gear is highly recommended.
12. TIRES – Participants must use DOT approved street tires with a tread wear rating of 100 or greater with a minimum tread depth of 3/32”. Tires will be required to pass a technical inspection at the track. The spirit of the event requires the use of a DOT approved tire – any modifications to tires will be unacceptable. Any vehicle with tires showing any evidence of modification will be immediately disqualified from the event. Safety is of the utmost importance and the race director or event coordinators will not hesitate to disqualify questionable tire selections.
13. Competitors must use a single set of tires for the entire event, no tire changing between events will be allowed. Tires will be marked during tech. Tire changes will be allowed in the event of a catastrophic failure, but replacements must be of the same size, manufacturer and model as those approved during tech inspection.
14. Each entrant will be issued a number that must be clearly visible on the windshield, side windows or rear window. Decal package must be applied per specifications.
15. If a participant receives a moving violation (speeding ticket) on Highway 341 and/or 342 within 30 days prior to the event or during the competition, and the event officials are properly notified, the participant will be immediately disqualified and no longer allowed to participate in the competition.
16. Any participant or participant’s vehicle, which does a burn-out or any other reckless conduct in or around the Virginia City or Silver City areas at any time before or during the event will be disqualified.
17. Scoring will be clearly communicated to all participants.
18. Race director and event management staff will have COMPLETE discretion to deny or remove from competition anyone in the event for any reason.
19. Rules interpretation will be at the sole discretion of the 341 Challenge steering committee or event organizers.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lou + ZR1 = King of the Hill. Go get 'em Lou!

Quick Reply: CorvetteForum presents Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge!! We've been invited!!