Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Becoming an Instructor

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Becoming an Instructor

What are the requirements for becoming a HPDE instructor? I have about 30/35 track days under my belt now and while not the fastest am darn consistent (holding back with my street z) what should be my goals and requirements over the 12 / 18 months if I want to become an instructor?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd get up with the guys at the Tarheel club. They have several instructors in that club that could get you the info you need.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Demonstrate aptitude to the right people (instructors) to build up references. A good road racing course at a recognized school is good. There is a lot of freelance, if you will, out there so check with the different track day promoters and let them know your wishes. Avail yourself of the plethora of road racing literature in order to talk in an informed manner to the right people. Good luck. Good instructors are needed more each year as the ranks of our hobby grows by leaps and bounds.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Do you run with NASA?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:02 AM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Usu the normal 2-3 clubs that you run with will recognize you by now. Most of the instructors as well as stewards of the tracks will also see your skill levels, and hopefully you aren't the usual suspects that bring dirt onto the track or spins every other session.

Make it known to the club organizer that you are interested in helping them out and becoming an instructor. Then, there will usu be an instructor in your car for a ride along. Remember, it is NEVER about speed and ALWAYS about awareness and safety.

Keep in mind most drivers in the open group qualify to be instructors, but it does take a lot of patience to be one (that, not everybody has).
Old 04-10-2010, 07:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Recommendation of a chief instructor, then the THSCC, PCA or NASA Instructor school.

Most schools also like that you have good knowledge of at least 5 tracks and 30 plus events over 3 - 4 years.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by southern_son
Demonstrate aptitude to the right people (instructors) to build up references. A good road racing course at a recognized school is good. There is a lot of freelance, if you will, out there so check with the different track day promoters and let them know your wishes. Avail yourself of the plethora of road racing literature in order to talk in an informed manner to the right people. Good luck. Good instructors are needed more each year as the ranks of our hobby grows by leaps and bounds.
Just learn how to instruct like the above poster and you will be a sure winner at instructing
Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 AM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 986_C6
Keep in mind most drivers in the open group qualify to be instructors, but it does take a lot of patience to be one (that, not everybody has).
In addition to patience, one must have an ability to 'instruct' and 'teach'. I've known many phenomenal performers in martial arts, driving, even at work...but very few have the ability, patience, and passion needed to effectively instruct others.

Go to your HPDE group and tell them you'd like to instruct...I"m sure they have a process for new instructors. I took my instructor course/test with NASA last year...not easy but very rewarding.

Good luck,
TomK
Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Good advice in the posts above, especially "patience". With 35 track days, you've been around a while like the open drivers. Certainly enough track time to start instructing.

Some of the SCCA regions have started a Time Trials instructor's school. It's a new program, started last year. It's one day, 80% classroom and a couple of track sessions.

The classroom session is fairly laid back, mostly discussing safety, communication, having fun. Most of the newer instructors we teach, pick up a couple things they never considered.

The program's pretty much designed just to cover the fundimentals.
It does give you the "TT Instructor" note on your SCCA license so, if you go to another venue, you have a small record of your experience.

Instructing is a lot of fun and very rewarding but, not as much fun as driving.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

A few other things which we like are CPR training, and HOW to Recognize signs of fatigue, stress, dehydration and most of all the RED Mist in drivers
Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

during your next track day, find the most erratic, inconsistent, dangerous driver in a souped up car set up for spinning tires and moving in any direction but forward. you know, the guy who everyone talks about. now imagine sitting in his passenger seat. if you are OK with that, you may be ready to become an instructor.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by longdaddy
during your next track day, find the most erratic, inconsistent, dangerous driver in a souped up car set up for spinning tires and moving in any direction but forward. you know, the guy who everyone talks about. now imagine sitting in his passenger seat. if you are OK with that, you may be ready to become an instructor.
and the right seat is ALWAYS 30 mph faster.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
A few other things which we like are CPR training, and HOW to Recognize signs of fatigue, stress, dehydration and most of all the RED Mist in drivers
I'm not familiar with the red mist phrase. Can you help me out?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:21 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

PM me and I can put you in touch with the right people to talk to about attending the THSCC Instructor Clinic.

-Kevin
Old 04-10-2010, 05:08 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by 69427
I'm not familiar with the red mist phrase. Can you help me out?
RED Mist
That not uncommon late afternoon tiredness.
HPDE driving can take its toll both physically and mentally, especially on a new driver but no one is immune to it.

I have sat out more than 1 last session of the day simply because I was tired. Better to live to drive another day.

I can actually see a change in my driving when I am getting tired. You are just not as sharp and all aspects of your session will be off a little, the most important part IMHO is your level of concentration.

It is something to watch for, and even more so on a hot day and the 2nd day

Can be due to many causes but the affect is the same.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:18 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

RED Mist HAVE TO GO OUT HAVE TO GO OUT, Nooo not tired.

NEED SPEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, Faster faster FAAASSSSTTEEERRR.

and all that happens is

and thousands of dollars in damage, if your lucky.

Watch this ( car up the road) http://vimeo.com/4270534

ie complete lake of objectivity.

Knowing when enough is enough is vital to any drivers development.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 04-10-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Really timely thread as I've been wondering the same thing. It's always been a goal of mine to become an instructor but the path has never been very clear. Heck, there doesn't even appear to be a good way to build and demonstrate the skills needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Becoming an Instructor

Old 04-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Find and read a copy of Richmond Shreve's Instructor Candidate Manual. Learn more about it at the Performance Driving Institute site: http://pdi.pubs.home.comcast.net/~pdi.pubs/
Old 04-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
Find and read a copy of Richmond Shreve's Instructor Candidate Manual. Learn more about it at the Performance Driving Institute site: http://pdi.pubs.home.comcast.net/~pdi.pubs/
Thanks Doc. It looks like it's no longer on that site though (bad links).

Nevermind - if you follow the Lulu link to buy the hard copy you can buy the PDF for $.70

Last edited by Poor-sha; 04-10-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I became an instructor by participating in HPDEs conducted by clubs that had instructor candidate schools. When I started going to their events I told them I was interested in becoming an instructor. Since I was running in the advanced groups they gave me instructors who knew what my goals were and they helped me prepare for the instructor training. Some of the stuff was unusual but I believe it all helped. One weekend my instructor rode with me in every session and he insisted I talk about my grandmother while running the track at speed and hitting the marks consistently. Sometimes we talked about airplanes. I got pretty good at driving subconsciously while paying attention to something else altogether. That is a good exercise for sitting in the right seat where you have to know what the car is doing, what is happening around the car and ahead on the track and being able to say something in time for the student to take action on what you said. Just one of the skills you need to have as an instructor.

In a couple of years (after 15 track days with this group) I was invited to attend the instructor candidate school. The school was interesting as we had at least a full day of classroom training, a full day of on track role playing where the instructor drove my car and acted like an unknowedgeable student, an intermediate student or worse yet the student from hell. It was a tough two days but in the end very rewarding.

Being an instructor has helped me become a better driver. Being in different types of cars and helping the student to get the best out of their particular car has taught me more about analyzing what is going on with a car and how to change the line, braking points, shift points, etc to get better lap times.

Bill

Quick Reply: Becoming an Instructor