Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Carry Insurance on Your Dedicated Track Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Do You Carry Insurance on Your Dedicated Track Car?

I'm at the brink of considering my 2005 C6 a dedicated track car and not driving it on the street anymore (even now the car's on the track more than the street). This would free me to finish setting it up properly for the track...no more compromises for 'streetability.' In one of the organizations I run in, my automobile insurance will cover my car in their un-timed or non-racing events, however, I mostly run time trials. In the other organization I run under my auto coverage does not cover my car on the track. Accordingly, 95% of the time I'm on-track my automobile insurance does not cover the car. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep insuring the car (I guess mainly for when its on the trailer going to and from track events).

To those of you with dedicated track cars...do you still carry 'traditional' automobile insurance on the car?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lawyers are 200-300+ per hour even for the first hour

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-11-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:10 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

My full-on race car, once a street Viper, is insured. Obviously anything that happens on the track is not covered, but if the car is stolen or burns down, it is covered.

I am fortunate that my insurnace agent's father is a former racer, so she knows what I am trying to accomplish.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:10 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I still have my car with full coverage, I still take it out behind my house on some back roads to seat in brake pads etc. I am just afraid not to have it because of theft or fire etc. If you had an incident in the pits etc. I dont know if it would help you or not. But at $68 a month I think its best to keep it. My agent is aware of what I am doing with the car, I am just doing HPDE's right now-but later who knows!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

yep you could be in the pits and a kid or person rides into it when it is not even moving and you could find yourself in court. Then your selling out 200+ an hour even if you are 100% right. I also have to load it on a trailer in the street so I don't want uninsured vehicle ticket because then I would have no license It has not see the track in a few years but it is still insured. Cost me 1300+ a years and now it is not registered. I can take an un-register vehicle ticket and pay the fine and still have a license. If I got hit in the street or hit someone else while in the street with no insurance my pockets would be empty soon with lawyers.

Do I have coverage on the track I think so as their is no exclusions but it is the pits and street that are also a major concern.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:32 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

My dedicated track car is insured in storage, transport and paddock bu not on track. Covered for loss (theft, fire, damage), not liability. Cost is $250 per year and includes the open trailer. Car does not see the street and is not licensed for the street.

I have been told that you can get track coverage, but it is expensive and car has to be worth a lot more than mine is.

Ed
Old 04-11-2010, 04:37 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I keep my track car in tags and insurance. That way I can drive it to the alignment shop, check brake operation, etc.

It's insured against theft and fire.

Here's a thought. What happens if your car catches fire at the track? Are you covered?

Richard Newton
Old 04-11-2010, 05:49 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i encourage you to be very careful talking to a "normal insurance" agent about track use for the car that carries their policy. I have been told by an agent of one of the major companies that they now have a guidance for agents to drop and blacklist customers who admit to track use or having track-specific mods - that's before there are any claims filed! it sort of makes sense (from their perspective) as we expose ourselves to a lot more liability than an average driver regardless of any waivers that people sign.

if you do not have very good relationship with your agent (where he will hold your interests above the interests of his employer), you may be better off just calling their regional support number and asking questions about track/racecar coverage as a "prospective customer" instead of asking your agent.

Last edited by longdaddy; 04-11-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:52 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by BERETTA
I still have my car with full coverage, I still take it out behind my house on some back roads to seat in brake pads etc. I am just afraid not to have it because of theft or fire etc. If you had an incident in the pits etc. I dont know if it would help you or not. But at $68 a month I think its best to keep it. My agent is aware of what I am doing with the car, I am just doing HPDE's right now-but later who knows!

Still have insurance on mine
Old 04-11-2010, 06:58 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Wayne.

What did you think of the night event at FIR?

Heacock Insurance covers racecars. It covers the car up to the minute it goes out of the pits and on to the track.

In your garage.
In the trailer to and from.
If you(accidently) run down one of your competitors in the pit

It's a declared value policy so it costs more if you value the car more. 60000 declared value was about 600.

BTW. Getting fed up with the car and driving it off a cliff is not covered.
That's why I don't have it.

Cheers,
CV
Old 04-11-2010, 08:16 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

From rfn026
"Here's a thought. What happens if your car catches fire at the track? Are you covered? "

Yes. As indicated in another post, coverage ends when you leave the paddock.

Ed
Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Racer Buzz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a licensed P & C Insurance Agent and one who is also licensed in multiple states I sell both types of Race Car Insurance, the "Off-Course Storage & Transit" policy at a rate of aprox 1% of the insured value per year with a small deductible. Minimum premium. This policy is designed to cover fires, thefts, hurricanes, collisions while in transit in a trailer but NOT while the race car is under its own power. This program can also cover anything else race related you own, tools, spares, engines, trailers, motorhomes, toder-homes, golf carts, pit bikes, etc, etc

And then there is the separate insurance program for "On-Track Crash Damage" coverage type of a policy. Here you have a variable rate, depending on the level of competitiveness of the sanctioned event, that has a rate of 2%-3% of the race car's insured value per race weekend and of course it has a higher deductible then the first. Club racing rates are less than those for professional series events.

These programs are both designed for real race cars in sanctioned club or professional series events like in SCCA, IMSA, PBOC, NASA, PCA, HSR, Trans-Am, or whatever, it is not designed for your combo Street / Track car / timed events or HPDE type events.

Last edited by Racer Buzz; 04-11-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry for the delayed reply. I want to thank everyone for their input. Despite having teenage driver's in the house (one with an at-fault accident) and paying sky-high rates on 5 cars and the fact my Corvette isn't used much on the street anymore (any maybe not at all soon), I will leave the insurance in-place. I get this way every year around tax time. I add up all the insurance I paid during the year (for auto, homeowners, scheduled property, personal liability umbrella, commercial property coverage, commercial liability, health insurance, life insurance and probably something else) and I go into shock.

Originally Posted by longdaddy
i encourage you to be very careful talking to a "normal insurance" agent about track use for the car that carries their policy. I have been told by an agent of one of the major companies that they now have a guidance for agents to drop and blacklist customers who admit to track use or having track-specific mods - that's before there are any claims filed! it sort of makes sense (from their perspective) as we expose ourselves to a lot more liability than an average driver regardless of any waivers that people sign.

if you do not have very good relationship with your agent (where he will hold your interests above the interests of his employer), you may be better off just calling their regional support number and asking questions about track/racecar coverage as a "prospective customer" instead of asking your agent.
I appreciate the good advice. I wouldn't want to lie about anything but I see the value in making an anonymous inquiry. I do have an excellent, long-standing relationship with my insurance agency (our family's go way back) but I realize that only goes so far. When I first got my C6 one organization I run with mentions that most insurance companies will cover the car on-track in certain levels of participation. Knowing that this is unusual I had my insurance agent verify coverage. That was years ago and I haven't been canceled yet. I'll keep a good thought.

Originally Posted by az55
Hi Wayne.

What did you think of the night event at FIR?

Heacock Insurance covers racecars. It covers the car up to the minute it goes out of the pits and on to the track.

In your garage.
In the trailer to and from.
If you(accidently) run down one of your competitors in the pit

It's a declared value policy so it costs more if you value the car more. 60000 declared value was about 600.

BTW. Getting fed up with the car and driving it off a cliff is not covered.
That's why I don't have it.

Cheers,
CV
I'm sad to say I had to miss the 'midnight madness' event this year. There's not many events I miss but we had friends here from out-of-state so I passed on this one event. Between NASA, Proautosports and events at Inde Motorsports Ranch its been busy lately. It's all good though because I know the racing season will slowdown with the heat of the approaching summer.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:34 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy

I've read somewhere that my insurance company will cover as long as it isn't a timed event but I'm too afraid to ask. I figure that maybe in the event something happens I can pay the tow truck driver enough money to get me down the road to a ditch somewhere
Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
I've read somewhere that my insurance company will cover as long as it isn't a timed event but I'm too afraid to ask. I figure that maybe in the event something happens I can pay the tow truck driver enough money to get me down the road to a ditch somewhere
then your into a whole other thing of insurance fraud, making a false statement, filing a false police report and who knows what else, That would not be for me Then you smack the wall and you make it look how it hit a tree? I know people that have did it and I know a guy who got caught doing it,
Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The National Corvette Museum offers Collector Car Insurance and offers the Track, Storage, Paddock Coverage.....

Very competitive to all the other companies that offer this type of coverage.

Give me a call for a quote, 877.678.7626.

Thanks!

Adam
Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
then your into a whole other thing of insurance fraud, making a false statement, filing a false police report and who knows what else, That would not be for me Then you smack the wall and you make it look how it hit a tree? I know people that have did it and I know a guy who got caught doing it,

i would rather eat up the cost of repairs myself than go down this path.

the bottom line is if you are not 100% sure you are covered either through specialty insurance or your street insurance guaranteeing that they will cover you and not drop you like a hot potato the moment you mention a race track, and you are not prepared to eat up the total loss of your car, you should not be on the track.

when my financial situation was a little shaky, I bit the bullet and bought track insurance. now that I do not have it anymore, I go to every track day fully prepared to leave the car on the track in pieces and buy another one afterwards.

Get notified of new replies

To Do You Carry Insurance on Your Dedicated Track Car?

Quick Reply: Do You Carry Insurance on Your Dedicated Track Car?