Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about a NASA Mid-Ohio report??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:15 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How about a NASA Mid-Ohio report??????

Ken,Danny,James,Matt, Bueller!!!! how did it go this past weekend?

Aaron
Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Mike, did your clutch act up again on Saturday?

James, what happened on Saturday?

I don't think Sunday's results are posted.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saturday wasn't good for Blue Corvettes.. Hell Green ones either.

Here's a quick summary.

Saturday Danny lost a motor in race practice, Mike lost a torque tube in the race but won TTU. I won the ST2 race but got a DQ in tech as the dyno was 5 hp high. I did win TTS though. Ken put the car into the tires during qualifying and did some minor body damage to the nose and LR suspension.

Rumpke got a 2nd on Saturday and 1st on Sunday in TTU in his mean and angry C6 Z06.

Saturday night I added about 80 lbs of lead.

Sunday I won ST2 and overall in the race. I also won TTS and set a new track record of 1:31.7. I did go back to the dyno and the dyno was 5 hp lower than Saturday's result. So I was legal and overweight.

If the car would of had the Sunday dyno result on Saturday I would of not been DQ'ed.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Wow! That's some carnage! Sorry to hear of every-one's problems.

Congrats on the Sunday win.

What happened to Ken reminds me of what I did up there a few years ago. On the 3rd lap of Sat. morning practice I went into the wall and ruined a weekend and a long trip. What a waste of a lot of money!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Jody it was just about the same spot on the track too..maybe 20' farther down..
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Wow doesnt sound like a good start to anyones season. Good job on your wins though James!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
and ruined a weekend and a long trip. What a waste of a lot of money!
I thought that was pretty much every weekend
Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymz
Saturday wasn't good for Blue Corvettes.. Hell Green ones either.

Here's a quick summary.

Saturday Danny lost a motor in race practice, Mike lost a torque tube in the race but won TTU. I won the ST2 race but got a DQ in tech as the dyno was 5 hp high. I did win TTS though. Ken put the car into the tires during qualifying and did some minor body damage to the nose and LR suspension.

Rumpke got a 2nd on Saturday and 1st on Sunday in TTU in his mean and angry C6 Z06.

Saturday night I added about 80 lbs of lead.

Sunday I won ST2 and overall in the race. I also won TTS and set a new track record of 1:31.7. I did go back to the dyno and the dyno was 5 hp lower than Saturday's result. So I was legal and overweight.

If the car would of had the Sunday dyno result on Saturday I would of not been DQ'ed.
Congrats on the lap record dude, thats flying!

WTH with the dyno crap, whos' was it and what brand?

Ken, sorry to hear brother, I know you'll have it patched in no time.

Popp, WTF do we have to put a lower rev chip in your car or what?

Mike, You are a machinest right? make a torq tube out of billett or something already.

Todd, haven't met you yet but great job as well.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Popp, WTF do we have to put a lower rev chip in your car or what?
Well this is actually the first engine I have ever actually "blown-up" in my 24 years experience. There have been other issues and problems , but never a blow up...

That short block has been run HARD for the last 4 years. If I wasn't soo busy on everyone elses stuff, I would have pulled her down over the winter and freshened her up and it may not have happened. Who knows , I'll be entertained with what happened when I get to tear her apart. I know the #7 rod or cap went through my ARE dry-sump pan and made a hell of a mess. From a brief inspection at the track , it looks to have spun #7 bearing (charred journal) which obviously locked and sent the pieces seeking daylight towards the light (and found it )

ERL,Wiseco , Trickflow and myself will be building another one real soon ....V2 will be a better mouse trap for sure.....I just need to see how big of a motor I want to ring to 8k all the time
Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 AM
stairman
Racer

Originally Posted by rasrboy

Mike, You are a machinest right? make a torq tube out of billett or something already.
Aaron
I had billet couplers in the thing, I don't know why it gave up. I may have hurt it in Atlanta last month when I lost the clutch, guess I should have looked at it. You were supposed to be there working to earn race credits, you need to get out there with us, you are missing the best racing around.

Jody, the clutch worked great this weekend, the problems just moved down the driveline, guess I better look at the tranny next. It will be ready for RA in june.

The car was running great Saturday, I am just thrilled with how it has turned out. It was an interesting ride into thunder valley chasing Danny when his engine let go, fire and smoke everywhere. Danny and I bumped up to SU for the weekend since not to many ST1 cars. I was hopeful I had a chance in Sat. race, tried to get a big gap at the beginning, but once Norm got that Wild *** Porsche wound up he ran me down bad then sucked my headlights out when he went by. It was to bad to see Ken sitting on the side of the track, looked like to much damage to get back out there, I am sure you will have it back together soon.

James you had that car on a rail this weekend, congrats on all the wins you deserved them .

Danny you will get that thing back together soon and back out there, probably madder than it was before.

Todd, you really seem to have a handle on that car now, I had to take off in time trials so you would not run me down also.

I need to thank Danny and James for all their help every weekend, they have been a great help in getting to this point, I am having the time of my life guys .

Last edited by stairman; 04-13-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There were a couple of C4's there as well...

Carlyle pulled off a PTA win on Saturday, only to be DQ'd on a technicality. He passed on a yellow, but nowhere near the incident. Bummer, rules are rules.

Due to car counts, Sunday he switched to TTA and won himself some tires.

Brian Ahmer pulled off the win in TTA Saturday in his C5Z. Welcome to NASA Great Lakes, Brian, it was good to meet you.

And the news everyone is on the edge of their seat about is that 'ol 271 runs trouble free now. No optisparks, no oil leaks, no phantom electrical issues...passed race tech and will be back for PTA at Beaverun.

Too bad her driver forgot how to drive in his two years off. I'm used to pushing the car around, not driving it...
Old 04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Modular Depot dyno? Typically that thing seems to read a touch low (at least it seemed to at Nats.)

Sorry to hear about the motor Danny, better mouse trap for sure I'm sure that thing will be crazy

That sucks for Ken hopefully he's ok and the car is easily repairable. I'm sure he had his hands full with as fast as James was cooking out there!

1.31.7 that is flat out flying, how were conditions was it cold at all or generally nice?

Mike hope you get the tube back in and the problems end there (thanks again for the dry sump tank info )

Hey Todd you made it through a weekend without breaking anything

Anyone know why Carlyle got DQ'd on Saturday? Another victim of the dyno?

Hope to see you guys at some of the crossover events.

Joel

Last edited by 96CollectorSport; 04-13-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jaymz
Jody it was just about the same spot on the track too..maybe 20' farther down..
That spot is a car magnet!

Ken, I feel for you.

It's amazing how much grip the grass doesn't have 1st thing on Saturday morning.

Here's a picture after my kiss with the wall as I sat there that Saturday afternoon years ago, with a broken rib, a headache, and laughing to keep from crying, waiting to load it back on the trailer. What a miserable weekend. The beer sure tasted good that evening.

That was a helluva lap you had James. Hell, Mike had the afterburners energized, too.

Good luck with the motor, Danny!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Too bad about Danny's engine, Matt ran one of the best races all weekend and that pass he made under yellow was one of the best I've seen, minus the yellow of course.
Jon's car running all weekend was quite the relief

Man did Mike do I nice job, he was way up front I though he was going to hold off Norm, to bad about the car.

Me I'm guilty of running DWPO(Driving while pissed off), I was a little aggressive during qualifying and decided to take her off rather than take out a couple cars that wanted to race me rather than let a faster car by. Turned out not to be such a good idea, not much traction in the mud and grass. Timing couldn't have been worse financially, it really was a mental error to even try and clear traffic so early.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

You guys do mighty darn good when your vehicles stay under you! Congratulations to you winners last weekend and to those that did not have such a good weekend, here's hoping you have better days soon!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:43 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was happy to see Scaryfast getting some track time for a change. The C5's had a tough weekend as stated above. Bummer.

My race on Saturday was going as planned until I went for a pass in the braking zone at the end of the back straight. There was a yellow at the starter station but there wasn't one showing at the right side of the track at the end of the straight so I went for it......Unfortunately, the car that caused the yellow was 5 feet to the left of the flag station without the flag. I would have been OK if it was to the other side of the station. Oh well, live and learn......

I ran TTA on Sunday for car counts (and to get my events in for Nationals). I'm running the smaller 275's this year and I just didn't get a good feel for them to hang it out. A 136.2 was good for the win but Brian was a close second.

Bring on Putnam........I may run ST2 since I have a set of 315's I need to use up. Is Geff running Putnam Joel? Anybody else?

Thanks again Aaron for hooking me up w/ the calipers.

Matt (who's dreaming about Stop Techs)
Old 04-13-2010, 06:17 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Good reading guys.

Get notified of new replies

To How about a NASA Mid-Ohio report??????

Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mrc24x
I
Bring on Putnam........I may run ST2 since I have a set of 315's I need to use up. Is Geff running Putnam Joel? Anybody else?

Matt (who's dreaming about Stop Techs)
Matt,

We will definatly be at Putnam, hope Ken can get fixed by then. Hope to see some of the others there as well.

Joel
Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Too bad about Danny's engine, Matt ran one of the best races all weekend and that pass he made under yellow was one of the best I've seen, minus the yellow of course.
Jon's car running all weekend was quite the relief

Man did Mike do I nice job, he was way up front I though he was going to hold off Norm, to bad about the car.

Me I'm guilty of running DWPO(Driving while pissed off), I was a little aggressive during qualifying and decided to take her off rather than take out a couple cars that wanted to race me rather than let a faster car by. Turned out not to be such a good idea, not much traction in the mud and grass. Timing couldn't have been worse financially, it really was a mental error to even try and clear traffic so early.
Ken,

What all was damaged on your car? Just cosmetic or some mechanical stuff too?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:41 PM
fastrash
Instructor

Mike, Danny James....

Thanks for the help support and the Was great throwing the nuclear bannana around M.O. even though I didn't reach my goal Master had set for me......

Great weekend......ready for more !!!

Your absolutely right Joel.....good to not have anything break!

Quick Reply: How about a NASA Mid-Ohio report??????