Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJMP: Lightning vs Thunderbolt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:54 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NJMP: Lightning vs Thunderbolt?

To all my experienced RR brothers and sisters. I am planning on attending my first HPDE event. There are two tracks available at NJMP, Lightning and Thunderbolt. Depending on which day I go, I can run either of these tracks. For those who have ran both, or one of these, which would you recommend for a first timer?

Thanks

ps:I will be running in my H/C/gear'd, full street set up(tires, brakes, etc.), daily driven C6.

http://www.njmp.com/tracks.html
Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Look for member Steve Landstra to chime in. He instructs there quite often and can give you good insight. I sent him an email to reply/

Mike
Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I've done both several times and prefer Thunderbolt. I've talked with others who like Lightning better, so its a mixed bag. TB is a little longer and a little more interesting. Lightning is a little faster and has an awesome banked right hander. For first time HPDE I'd go with Lightning, it flows better and is a relatively simple layout.

Last edited by argonaut; 04-19-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:42 PM
OZ51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't go wrong with either but my preference is Thunderbolt. I think its a great first time track for a variety of reasons, including good visibilty everywhere, realatively simple to learn the basic track (not too long, not too many turns, relatively little elevation change), decent passing zones and decent runoff everywhere (just in case). Its a fun track for a vette.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will go opposite on this one. I have driven and instructed at NJMP quite a few times and for a Novice 1st timer I would recommend Lightning as I think it is less complex and easier to learn than Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt is the more complex/technical of the two which makes it a bit more fun for those with experience. Don't get me wrong Lightning is technical as well, but the Octopus can really leave a novice scratching their head.

So for a first timer, I think Lightning will be funer and a bit easier.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

I totally agree that Lightning is the track for the first time driver. Thunderbolt is much more complex and technical. Lightning is a faster, but more flowing course. Start at Lightning, you'll be happier. The Octopus on Thunderbolt is a real head scratcher until an experienced instructor shows the line.

Have fun. NJMP is a great facility and both tracks are fun in their own way.

Steve
Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
I totally agree that Lightning is the track for the first time driver. Thunderbolt is much more complex and technical. Lightning is a faster, but more flowing course. Start at Lightning, you'll be happier. The Octopus on Thunderbolt is a real head scratcher until an experienced instructor shows the line.

Have fun. NJMP is a great facility and both tracks are fun in their own way.

Steve
100%

And Steve I need you to show me the line through the Octopus... Frank tried but I never did get it through my thick Irish skull.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Love Thunderbolt and think lightning is ok but I am agreeing with others - lightning is a great track to get out and try HPDEs.

We will probably be doing both tracks with SCDA later this year.

BTW - Frank we will be doing Thunderbolt with trackdaze in June. It is a weekend so if you want to come down I can show you around and probably get you out as a passenger in my car and explain some of the stuff you need to be aware of around the track.

Bob

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 04-20-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
100%

And Steve I need you to show me the line through the Octopus... Frank tried but I never did get it through my thick Irish skull.
Luckily Frank and I ran a full session right on top of each other so I got to learn the Octopus. Where I thought I was left enough coming out of the Octopus, Frank made me move over another few feet. That made a big difference for setting up the esses.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:13 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the same question last year and would emphasize that there's no bad decision here-- both will be tremendous fun your first time out. Try one and then commit to trying the other your next time out.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
I've done both several times and prefer Thunderbolt. I've talked with others who like Lightning better, so its a mixed bag. TB is a little longer and a little more interesting. Lightning is a little faster and has an awesome banked right hander. For first time HPDE I'd go with Lightning, it flows better and is a relatively simple layout.
What do you think of the banking on Lightening? It had me worried about running a stock oil pan without accusump.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:09 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
What do you think of the banking on Lightening? It had me worried about running a stock oil pan without accusump.
Someone had brought up that same concern to me. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:21 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

I've been there for well over 20 days and have yet to hear of anyone starving an engine for oil in the lightbulb. I have an '09 Z06 with the upgraded, 10.5 quart dry sump system.

You'll have to be your own judge on that one. I don't think it will be an issue from what I've seen.

Steve
Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. Lightning seems to be the popular choice, the only thing concerning me now is the banked turn and my stock oiling system. I'd still like to hear more opinions on this please.

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS

BTW - Frank we will be doing Thunderbolt with trackdaze in June. It is a weekend so if you want to come down I can show you around and probably get you out as a passenger in my car and explain some of the stuff you need to be aware of around the track.

Bob
Not sure if this was directed towards me or the other Frank.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The banking on Lightning is no where near as steep as turn 1 at Pocono. Lots of Vettes seem to do that one without problem. Plus, its a right hander - from what I understand we have issues with left hand sweepers. Last year on Lightning I didn't think about the banking to be honest. This year I have installed an Accusump.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by k0bun
Not sure if this was directed towards me or the other Frank.
It was directed at you k0bun.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
I've been there for well over 20 days and have yet to hear of anyone starving an engine for oil in the lightbulb. I have an '09 Z06 with the upgraded, 10.5 quart dry sump system.

You'll have to be your own judge on that one. I don't think it will be an issue from what I've seen.

Steve
First couple of months opened a new Honda starved and blew the engine. I have not heard of any vettes.

Get notified of new replies

To NJMP: Lightning vs Thunderbolt?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 AM
OZ51
Instructor

I think that the most important concepts for a first timer to understand on a track are things like safety and situational awareness. One could argue that coming over the blind crest of 1 or the reverse camber pitch of 5 on Lightning is equally unsettling for a first timer as the complexity of the octopus. You'll probably be focusing on basic track skills more than correct lines for a couple of sessions, at least untill you feel comfortable on the track. Things like monitoring the flag stations, watching the track, basic car control, body posture, etc... take some time to learn and you can learn those skills on either. The LS3s have issues with high G left hand sweepers so you should be okay in the lightbulb. Go where you think you'll be most comfortable. NJMP is a nice facility whichever side you choose.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Thanks guys. Lightning seems to be the popular choice, the only thing concerning me now is the banked turn and my stock oiling system. I'd still like to hear more opinions on this please.
On stock tires and your first time out I think you will be fine.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:16 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Someone had brought up that same concern to me. Any thoughts on this?
For what it's worth, I took a little poll on this topic by reaching out to a few of the serious road racing shops and got unanimous feedback that street tires + stock suspension = fine.

Add sticky tires OR serious suspension and that's when you need to start worrying or slowing down.

Quick Reply: NJMP: Lightning vs Thunderbolt?