Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need shop that can set up car for track

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 AM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need shop that can set up car for track

I am located in Massapequa NY Long island and I will be purchasing a 2007 Z and should have it in approx 2 weeks. I run DE events currently with my Porsche. I have never owned a vette and I am not sure what shops near me know how to set up track cars - particularly suspension.

Could anyone recomend a shop?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Phoenix Performance - Phoenixville PA 50 miles west of Philly
Old 04-22-2010, 08:33 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 - Phoenix Performance is one the best known and most respected race car builders in the US. For track car setup, alignment, fabrication, corner weighting, etc they are tops. Unfortunately they are about 3 hours from you.

I'm curious - what Porsche do you have and what are your reasons for getting a Vette vs. continuing to track the Porsche?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Phoenix Performance - Phoenixville PA 50 miles west of Philly

other Phoenix (second location) is at Palm near Allentown
Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Z06 Bob
Instructor

Default Track setup

Phoenix Performance
Call Kurt Omensetter at the Palm location 215-679-2232.
He's a little closer than Phoenixville.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Thanks guys. If need be i will travel but would prefer somone close to home

argonaut - It was a dillema for me for a while (still slightly uncertain). I own a beautiful black 993 that can be street driven (I do drive to a lot of events) but is set up for the track (it is for sale BTW). I really learned how to drive that car and I understand its inputs - it took me a while to really get it. Once you understand a Porsche you can drive them very fast for what they are. That being said the Z06's have always caught my interest for both styling and performance and I guess it is a personal preference - nothing can replace the grumble of an all american V8!!! I drove the vette a few weeks ago at Moroso int'l speedway and really liked it. There is not as much input and chassis feedback as the Porsche but it is a great car none the less. Seeing them on the track (and getting spanked by them) then driving one flipped the switch for me. I have no negative quams about Porsche - they are completely awesome vehicles that have a very low maintenance requirement, but when they do break just hand over your check book
Old 04-22-2010, 02:22 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Although he's located in Cincinnati, OH which may be too far for you to travel - Danny Popp would be my recommendation for suspension and lots of other top notch work for your track car. you can reach him at McCluskey Chevrolet...he is most definitely one of the best
Old 04-22-2010, 05:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what are you looking to do?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

looking to have the car corner balanced andthe camber and caster set. I will drive the car to the track at times so I do not want too much camber - so I am not sure how this should be set up. Any recomendations perhaps I can have a local shop do it
Old 04-22-2010, 09:18 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lynmor Motorsports in Huntington. They came with a high recommendation from a forum member. Also, Guelfi alignment located in Islip terrace, off sunrise hwy and carleton ave can do the alignment, I would use Lynmor for a car that is track only but if your driving the car to the track Guelfi can do it.
Guelfi 631-581-0484

Last edited by CodeBlack; 04-22-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 PM
ace996
Pro

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
Lynmor Motorsports in Huntington. They came with a high recommendation from a forum member. Also, Guelfi alignment located in Islip terrace, off sunrise hwy and carleton ave can do the alignment, I would use Lynmor for a car that is track only but if your driving the car to the track Guelfi can do it.
Guelfi 631-581-0484
I will second Lynmor, mostly a Porsche shop but works on other cars, too. Richie has done my past few street/track cars and is very good with setting up a car - cornerweighting/alignment.
I know he is familiar with a Vette and will be setting-up my new (to me) 2001 C5Z06 in the very near future.

Be good,
TomK
Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 AM
TGiuliante
Racer

I know of Lynmor through the Porsche club and DE events. Most people like thier shop. I almost had them do my engine on my Porsche - they are ver reputable. I did not knwo they were starting to work on Vettes. I will give them a call - Thanks!
Does Vette doctors set up suspension - I know they are good tuners any comments on them?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:25 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Vette Doctors is very close to you, but their main focus is drag racing. If you give them a call, Id like to know if they can corner weigh a car.

Ive been told by my friends TKX in Huntington http://www.tkxperformance.com/ is good, but no first had knowledge myself. I do my own corner weight and alignment.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Knucklehead Racing
Instructor

Vette Docs are the best around for tuning. A must. Carmen has been in the biz for 25 years? At least. Never saw better numbers out of my car. And reliable.

They do tons and tons of track cars, high end race cars, whatever. And build engines too.

Great shop. And VERY reasonable.

Cannot say enough good things about those guys.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:51 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

I wish they did but The Vette Doctors will refer you to someone that will. Carmen has been sending his customers to Guelfi for years. Lynmor wants 300.00 to do the alignment on a C6Z06. Guelfi charged me 130.00

Last edited by CodeBlack; 04-23-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Knucklehead Racing
Instructor

Lynmor did an incredible job for my T1 race car. I was really amazed. They have a great record too. Won the 24 hrs of Daytona couple years back etc..... very cool racing resume. They scaled, corners, alignment etc.. for me knowing I was going to Lime Rock.

Car was freaking perfect. Test times were under track record. That car was just a joy to drive.

I am sure there are other excellent guys out there too but for me Tim and the guys at Lynmor were really great.

Again, seems you have a bunch of excellent choices.

Last edited by Knucklehead Racing; 04-23-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
Vette Doctors is very close to you, but their main focus is drag racing. If you give them a call, Id like to know if they can corner weigh a car.

Ive been told by my friends TKX in Huntington http://www.tkxperformance.com/ is good, but no first had knowledge myself. I do my own corner weight and alignment.
What brand scales do you use? I'm in the market for a set

Get notified of new replies

To Need shop that can set up car for track

Old 04-24-2010, 03:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yea get a set and I'll be over
Old 04-24-2010, 03:44 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend has the set and I dont remember the brand. Im not the expert on them as he sets them up while I do the adjusting.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:51 PM
gintama
Instructor

Bite the bullet and make the trip to Phoenix Performance! They will set corners, alignment and most important: rake, since the C6 does not come with aerodynamic aids like the GT3. Most people don't even think about rake and just slam it as low as it will go. Anyone can do an alignment, but Phoenix knows what the best settings are based on how you want to drive. They have given me a very neutral car which is great after being in a P-car. You will need to learn how to exit corners differently since power oversteer is so easy. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Need shop that can set up car for track