Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain break again. How about a ls6 swap for cure..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 AM
billy25us
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Timing chain break again. How about a ls6 swap for cure..

I just broke a Katech timing for the second time at Ra this weekend. Obviously there is a problem somewhere. I bought this car ;C5 ls1 w/ls6 heads ,intakes ,injectors ,comp cam and first time on track broke a katech chain. Bought another chain, had the heads reworked put it all back together verifying the aliment and everything was good. 4th day on track same thing. When I bought the car the motor had been rebuilt several time and it came with several different spare cams so I think I bought into this problem and the guy got tired of throwing stuff at the problem. Am tired of not finshing events so I have decided to swap the block this time to a ls6. Anyone have a lead on who is running specials on the motors. With the top end of my original motor already ls6 can I get away with just the short block or try and find a deal on a crate engine. Are the computers and harness compatible.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:20 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by billy25us
I just broke a Katech timing for the second time at Ra this weekend. Obviously there is a problem somewhere. I bought this car ;C5 ls1 w/ls6 heads ,intakes ,injectors ,comp cam and first time on track broke a katech chain. Bought another chain, had the heads reworked put it all back together verifying the aliment and everything was good. 4th day on track same thing. When I bought the car the motor had been rebuilt several time and it came with several different spare cams so I think I bought into this problem and the guy got tired of throwing stuff at the problem. Am tired of not finshing events so I have decided to swap the block this time to a ls6. Anyone have a lead on who is running specials on the motors. With the top end of my original motor already ls6 can I get away with just the short block or try and find a deal on a crate engine. Are the computers and harness compatible.

I swapped a LS1 to LS6 I forgot what chain I have.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

We've never broken a C5-R chain in 10 years. That includes the 24 hours of Le Mans, Daytona, Spa, and 30-hour dyno durability tests. Since you've broken two, I've got to agree with you that there is a problem somewhere else. Do you transport the car in gear? What kind of damper do you have?

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 04-25-2010, 05:09 PM
billy25us
Racer

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
We've never broken a C5-R chain in 10 years. That includes the 24 hours of Le Mans, Daytona, Spa, and 30-hour dyno durability tests. Since you've broken two, I've got to agree with you that there is a problem somewhere else. Do you transport the car in gear? What kind of damper do you have?
I am not sure on the damper. There is a small fraction of paly in the cam, I am not sure on the tolerance but when I push the cam back and spin it the cam gear will srub the bolt behind it once on each revolution. Could the cam face not be machined flat. I replaced the cam gear the last time so I dought it is off. I do recall the last time we spoke Jason and I make sure that the car is out of gear during transport.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Do you have to broken chains or did you throw them away?

If you still have them look and see of you have any stiff links, if you do then I would look at the balancer. The only ones to trust are stock or the ATI balancer with the softer rubber.

If your cam gear was hitting one of the cam cover bolts I would definatly find out why.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ASP under drive pulley? I busted two chains with one. The second was a double. It did last longer....17 track days.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:44 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I vote damper !
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very late to this thread, but Billy, I'll see your 2 broken timing chains at Road Atlanta and raise you 1. Yep, this weekend I broke my 3rd chain. My car is a '99FRC w/ an LS6-to-402 LS2 conversion from my previous '01Z in it. I started w/ the stock LS6 chain and broke it. Then replaced w/ the beefier LS2/LS7 chain, and broke that. And Sunday, I even managed to break the Katech chain. The first and third times were w/in mere feet of each other, exiting Turn 5...kinda freaky. I even knew exactly where to pull off track between T7 & T8 after coasting around T6 & T7.

Anyway, I had issues initially w/ the stock balancer "walking" itself forward on the crank, so I replaced it w/ a "Moto Blue LSx Underdrive Pulley" from RPM Outlet and pinned it to the crank. I believe this balancer is similar to (or maybe even the same as) the ASP and Power Bond ones. So, perhaps this is my issue? I sure hope so-- I'm ready to solve this thing or just give up and swap in an LS3 crate engine or something.

Billy and Rob, did you guys ever get to the bottom of your issues? Did you try an ATI pulley and that fixed it?

Thx,
Fred
Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by fhturner
Very late to this thread, but Billy, I'll see your 2 broken timing chains at Road Atlanta and raise you 1. Yep, this weekend I broke my 3rd chain. My car is a '99FRC w/ an LS6-to-402 LS2 conversion from my previous '01Z in it. I started w/ the stock LS6 chain and broke it. Then replaced w/ the beefier LS2/LS7 chain, and broke that. And Sunday, I even managed to break the Katech chain. The first and third times were w/in mere feet of each other, exiting Turn 5...kinda freaky. I even knew exactly where to pull off track between T7 & T8 after coasting around T6 & T7.

Anyway, I had issues initially w/ the stock balancer "walking" itself forward on the crank, so I replaced it w/ a "Moto Blue LSx Underdrive Pulley" from RPM Outlet and pinned it to the crank. I believe this balancer is similar to (or maybe even the same as) the ASP and Power Bond ones. So, perhaps this is my issue? I sure hope so-- I'm ready to solve this thing or just give up and swap in an LS3 crate engine or something.

Billy and Rob, did you guys ever get to the bottom of your issues? Did you try an ATI pulley and that fixed it?

Thx,
Fred
I say put an ATI damper on it.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't run the cheaper 25% underdrive pullies... ATI 10% underdrive superdamper is all I'll ever use.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

I agree with Jason, check the most recent broken chain for stiff links, it's a tell tail sign of bad harmonics. These engines are violent around peak torque and you need a balancer that can handle that.
We had a LS7 that broke 2 chains with an ASP, Katech installed an ATI and 3 years later no issues.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Have road raced LS motors for years, we use LS2 chains and the ATI
Dampers............NEVER ANY ISSUES.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I too am a member of the Powerbond/ broken chain club...
Now ATI and no problems.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by fhturner

Anyway, I had issues initially w/ the stock balancer "walking" itself forward on the crank,
Thx,
Fred
Yep, mine is in shop now to install an ATI because my harmonic dampner walked off and got against the steering rack..... (I hope my chain is still good )
Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I just checked the mod list on my new (to me) '01 Z06. Sure enough... Powerbond damper and LS2 timing set. What should I keep an eye on to make sure I don't break the chain? Is the failure mode that the damper walks off the crank?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:34 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Probably not necessarily the damper walking off but rather what caused it. I am no expert, but I am just concerned that an imbalance caused the damper to loosen and how long I ran with it loose. But then, I spend a lot of time worrying about such things.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:31 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I just checked the mod list on my new (to me) '01 Z06. Sure enough... Powerbond damper and LS2 timing set. What should I keep an eye on to make sure I don't break the chain? Is the failure mode that the damper walks off the crank?
It's the Powerbond balancer itself, it doesn't absorb (dampen) the harmonics as well as a stock or ATI dampener. Basically replace the dampener or join the broken chain club.
The only balancers that I've heard the come loose are the 05 LS2 balancers. I've snugged a few of them up by replacing the stock bolt with an APR balancer bolt. The later LS2's added a shim between the crank and the balancer to keep the balancer from spinning loose. Another option is to pin the balancer to the crank.
But this isn't an issue with the LS6's.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing chain break again. How about a ls6 swap for cure..

Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now running an ATI Ballancer with no issues
Old 04-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Do you have to broken chains or did you throw them away?

If you still have them look and see of you have any stiff links, if you do then I would look at the balancer. The only ones to trust are stock or the ATI balancer with the softer rubber.

If your cam gear was hitting one of the cam cover bolts I would definatly find out why.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
billy25us
Racer

I did have the asp under drive pulley and would assume that was the culprit. I put in a new ls6 and tossed the asp in the garbage. If I were buying a used car and it already had that dampner on, my first mod would be to replace it.

Quick Reply: Timing chain break again. How about a ls6 swap for cure..