Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA auto-X Street Prepared rules...removal of Rear Z06 brake ducts for wheel fitment

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA auto-X Street Prepared rules...removal of Rear Z06 brake ducts for wheel fitment

I'm looking for a pair of 18x12 wheels for rear wheel fitment to fit 335/18 A6 tires on. CCW told me that a backspacing of 8.75" will fit without mini tubbing. I'm not sure if the rear Z06 brake duct will rub though. Does anybody know if removing this brake duct to fit wheels is legal under SCCA's Street Prepared rules?

I also realize i can go with less backspacing to move the wheel out, but I want to minimize that as much as possible to keep "cone hitting" wheel track to a minimum.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 AM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by thehammer69
I'm looking for a pair of 18x12 wheels for rear wheel fitment to fit 335/18 A6 tires on. CCW told me that a backspacing of 8.75" will fit without mini tubbing. I'm not sure if the rear Z06 brake duct will rub though. Does anybody know if removing this brake duct to fit wheels is legal under SCCA's Street Prepared rules?

I also realize i can go with less backspacing to move the wheel out, but I want to minimize that as much as possible to keep "cone hitting" wheel track to a minimum.
Don - not sure if this helps, but I've been running rear CCW 18x12's with 335 A6's for a while now. I do use a 3/16" spacer, which pokes the tires out some, but no rubbing issues to speak of... and yes, I do hit cones, but more often with the front tires which are 315x18's
Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ERND IT
Don - not sure if this helps, but I've been running rear CCW 18x12's with 335 A6's for a while now. I do use a 3/16" spacer, which pokes the tires out some, but no rubbing issues to speak of... and yes, I do hit cones, but more often with the front tires which are 315x18's
What offset or backspacing are your wheels?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The rules permit modificaton to the fenders and surrounding bodywork OUTSIDE of the plane of the wheel mounting, and the rear brake duct is inside of that so you can't mod it and call it part of the fender flaring allowance.

Now there is a note in the rules that say brake ducts may be added, provided there are no other changes to the bodywork, so you are SOL on that one too.

There is one way to do it legally...

Since you are on the same line as the cars that didn't have the brake duct you could remove them so long as you configure the car as the model that didn't have them. That means that technically you could remove the ducts, but would have to remove the scoops on the rocker panel and cover the hole where the scoops were with the rocker panel from a non-Z.

So yes it can be done, but it's more than just yanking out the offending duct....
Old 04-27-2010, 11:44 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Solofast
The rules permit modificaton to the fenders and surrounding bodywork OUTSIDE of the plane of the wheel mounting, and the rear brake duct is inside of that so you can't mod it and call it part of the fender flaring allowance.

Now there is a note in the rules that say brake ducts may be added, provided there are no other changes to the bodywork, so you are SOL on that one too.

There is one way to do it legally...

Since you are on the same line as the cars that didn't have the brake duct you could remove them so long as you configure the car as the model that didn't have them. That means that technically you could remove the ducts, but would have to remove the scoops on the rocker panel and cover the hole where the scoops were with the rocker panel from a non-Z.

So yes it can be done, but it's more than just yanking out the offending duct....
Excellent information...Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA auto-X Street Prepared rules...removal of Rear Z06 brake ducts for wheel fitment

Quick Reply: SCCA auto-X Street Prepared rules...removal of Rear Z06 brake ducts for wheel fitment