Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buttonwillow raceway trackday

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 PM
jalsh
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Buttonwillow raceway trackday

Hello everyone,

I have the full track reserved for May 18th. Max number of cars for this event are 12, that's right only 12. Still have a couple of spots open. the price is $290.00. this is an all day event. any takers?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:13 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd jump on it if it weren't a Wednesday
Old 04-27-2010, 02:00 PM
aecmew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wow!!!

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Jalsh... i'm IN! $290... full track?? all day?? r u kidding? that crushes the weekend crap with like 80-100 people...

i've got an 09' ZR1 and $290 burning a hole in my pocket. that's a Tuesday though... not a wednesday? just checked... yes. it's a tuesday.

awesome deal dude... thx!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Tuesday/Wed...all the same for a simple minion such as myself
Old 04-27-2010, 03:07 PM
C5Lion
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should post this in the southern california section. I lot of us road racers visit this site often. Why only 12 cars? You can only run for 25 or so minutes before you need to come in for a break for not only the car but the driver. You could have 2 run groups of 12 and bring the cost down and still have more track time than anyone would need.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:20 PM
aecmew
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Originally Posted by C5Lion
You should post this in the southern california section. I lot of us road racers visit this site often. Why only 12 cars? You can only run for 25 or so minutes before you need to come in for a break for not only the car but the driver. You could have 2 run groups of 12 and bring the cost down and still have more track time than anyone would need.
dunno... but who the heck wants to run with 12 cars on the track? the problem with most track day events i've been to... no matter what... you end up stuck behind someone going slower... you can't get good lap times if you wanted. plus... at least 1... some times 2 or 3 sessions get bunged up cuz someone went off the track or had a break. so you sit all day long waiting for your 3 or 4 20 minute sessions. with 12 people total, i imagine you could all the time you wanted! sounds like the guy isn't trying to make cash... he just wants exclusivity and a "reasonable" price. i'd pay 1k if i could get the track for an hour alone or with cars fast enough i never see them. plus... no waiting for your session to start. all i see are positives. the only negative... you could pay $100-150 less... but for 10 times the track time... i think it's a steal. heck... i'll spend that in gas alone... plus tires and wear... we're talking a 1k day anyway. so i pay 1.1k. 10% more for virutally unlimited time? ya gotta see the advantage to that. :-) plus he said we could do top end runs... drag races on the 3800 ft straight... AND he said he usually runs multiple track configs... sometimes CW and then Counter-CW. that's never happened at any 1 day event i've been to. cheers!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 PM
jalsh
Cruising

Originally Posted by C5Lion
Thanks for the tip on the so. cal. section.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 PM
jalsh
Cruising

Originally Posted by aecmew
Jalsh... i'm IN! $290... full track?? all day?? r u kidding? that crushes the weekend crap with like 80-100 people...

i've got an 09' ZR1 and $290 burning a hole in my pocket. that's a Tuesday though... not a wednesday? just checked... yes. it's a tuesday.

awesome deal dude... thx!!!
aecmew, glad to see someone understands what it means to have a nearly exclusive track. you are all signed up.

thanks again.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the details? Hours? Will there be corner workers etc.? Can we have a passenger? Any other info?
I've never been there before. I'm a recent transplant to CA.
Thanks
Rob
Old 04-28-2010, 12:17 AM
aecmew
Intermediate

Originally Posted by robvuk
What are the details? Hours? Will there be corner workers etc.? Can we have a passenger? Any other info?
Thanks
Rob
contact Jalsh directly... he sent me a list of cars on the track and all the info you'd want. i know you can have a passenger... i also know there are no corner people. he said usually there are only 2 or 3 cars on the track at a time and that the track has no blind spots... he also told me all his events have been 100% accident free. it's basically just 12 of us policing each other... taking vids, pics and lap times. where did you move from?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:29 AM
jalsh
Cruising

Originally Posted by robvuk
Thanks
Rob
details:
Buttonwillowraceway.com
Full track
May 18th 2010
$290.00
open track from 8:30am to 5:00pm
no corner workers
passengers are allowed
helmets required

its a pretty good track. nice mix of technical and moderate speed. but as always with any day i have set up, its all about having fun in a safe and controlled setting.

let me know if you have any other questions.

James
Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

...the track has no blind spots...
...except for Phil Hill, aka Magic Mountain.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jalsh
...glad to see someone understands what it means to have a nearly exclusive track. you are all signed up.
I don't like open tracks:
http://vimeo.com/11298617

Personally and seriously though, even for track days I like having other cars on the track. Some guys bitch about it, but I find it boring when the the track is empty or light. Too crowded with more than 10 cars per mile of track is a problem at the other end of the spectrum, but most reputable track day organizers don't go that high. They stop at 8 per mile.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:41 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Olitho

Personally and seriously though, even for track days I like having other cars on the track. Some guys bitch about it, but I find it boring when the the track is empty or light. Too crowded with more than 10 cars per mile of track is a problem at the other end of the spectrum, but most reputable track day organizers don't go that high. They stop at 8 per mile.
for testing purposes and car setup, i like having an empty/open track.

but if i'm just going for fun, i prefer having cars around.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:44 PM
aecmew
Intermediate

to each his own... but i can't imagine 24-30 cars (or more) on the 3 mile buttonwillow track at 1 time. i do understand the thrill of passing people... but 90% of the fun is in the turns and you'd be stuck behind someone 100% of the time. passing cars in straight line acceleration, i can get that thrill on the freeway. imo, that many people kinda defeats the purpose of track day. plus... when you have justa few people... you can run multiple track configs. it's like driving something new the entire day. it's a true drivers day. the big events are more like car shows so people can show everyone their latest pep-boys 15 hp upgrade. every friday they do that at Ruby's in redondo beach... for free. anyway... just my worthless 2 cent.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

to each his own... but i can't imagine 24-30 cars (or more) on the 3 mile buttonwillow track at 1 time. i do understand the thrill of passing people... but 90% of the fun is in the turns and you'd be stuck behind someone 100% of the time. passing cars in straight line acceleration, i can get that thrill on the freeway. imo, that many people kinda defeats the purpose of track day. plus... when you have justa few people... you can run multiple track configs. it's like driving something new the entire day. it's a true drivers day. the big events are more like car shows so people can show everyone their latest pep-boys 15 hp upgrade. every friday they do that at Ruby's in redondo beach... for free. anyway... just my worthless 2 cent.
Some groups allow open passing even in the corners....
Old 04-29-2010, 06:30 PM
aecmew
Intermediate

Some groups allow open passing even in the corners....
that's scary! unequal cars, variable driving skills, lotsa participants... just add high speed and it sounds like the perfect recipe for "suck".
seriuosly though... i'd save that kinda stuff for cart days... i think you might be confusing "track day" with scca santioned racing.

Last edited by aecmew; 04-29-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:45 PM
jalsh
Cruising

hey, i didn't post this as an opinion poll. my orignal post was pretty simple..."any takers?" If you are interested, great. if not, I don't care. I picked up a couple guys that are interested, thank you again to them. But as far as what you like, don't like or how YOU would do it... keep a lid on your subjective comments and go rent the track yourself.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:32 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

that's scary! unequal cars, variable driving skills, lotsa participants... just add high speed and it sounds like the perfect recipe for "suck".
seriuosly though... i'd save that kinda stuff for cart days... i think you might be confusing "track day" with scca santioned racing.

No, I am not confused. I do about 20 races per year and about 30 open track days each year. The are virtually no car-to-car incidents each year. Here is a good example:
http://vimeo.com/4965448
But hey, it is your track day and you do what you like. I can appreciate an open track, but I just feel like it gets a bit lonely.

Oli

Get notified of new replies

To Buttonwillow raceway trackday

Quick Reply: Buttonwillow raceway trackday