Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just purchase my first Z - need advice on Brakes

Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid replacement question

Hey guys, relatively new to this thread. I crossed over from a Porsche to a 2007 Z. I have been running HPDE's for about 4 - 5 yrs now in my carrera. The Z that I just purchased has a fresh new motor built by RPM motors. A track built motor putting down approx 530 at the wheels. Car has a Bilstein LG motosports coilovers with Phadt sway bars as wel as a few other goodies - I'm pretty excited about my new toy.

What do I need to do with regards to preventative maintenance while running De's. It seems like guys flush thier brake fluid regularly - how often? What about clutch fluid? Power steering? etc..

Could you guys school the newbe.

Last edited by TGiuliante; 04-28-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

A flush to DOT4 would be a good idea. With that much HP you're gonna get to speeds that will heat up the brakes in a hurry. I don't know that there's a set schedule to follow and it will be dependent on how many you run but minimum yearly would be a good idea. Keep an eye on the fluid and if it starts to look dirty at all, give it a bleed. You'll read a lot of good about Motul fluid, I personally like ATE because you can go back & forth between amber & blue to know when you've bled to the new fluid. But really any DOT4 fluid will be an improvement over the factory DOT3. And since your car is an '07 I'd recommend getting to that before you head to the track.

Single piece brake pads are a good idea as well. You get better heat dissipation through a single large pad vs the factory padlets but you do have to remove the calipers for that (not difficult, 2 bolts). I have the entry-level track XP8 pads from Carbotech and they provide noticeably better stopping power.

Good luck & enjoy!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Liquid1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new to the Z as well and this is what I've gleaned thus far.

Bible on Cluth Fluid Maintenence: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-and-cure.html

Obviously you should be running a high quality brake fluid. ATE and Motul as mentioned are the usual suspects. Some people use other brands based on personal preference. As I'm sure you'll know, you'll be looking for high dry, and to a lesser extent, wet boiling points. You should change your fluid regularly (I do before every HPDE weekend), and many trackers bleed during the weekend depending on how hard they are running. Most trackers upgrade to SS braided brake lines as well.

Improved front brake ducting also seems to be fairly consistently recommended. I went with the Quantum Motorsports based on this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html It is for a C5 but I found it a very good read nonetheless. I also understand hubs and bearings are sensitive to heat generated by the brakes on this car so I bought the shielding at QM as well.... no idea how effective it is (It doesn't seem that great but on the other hand it was very cheap). We'll see.

You know you need spares for pads and rotors. As said in the earlier post, most trackers prefer the 1 piece pads over the padlets due to more consistent wear and easier changing. I went with the XP10/XP8 front/rear combo. Others prefer Cobalt XR2's which are more pricey but apparently more durable. Depending on budget, most heavy duty trackers upgrade to a BBK not so much for performance improvements (although there are some) but to reduce the costs of consumables. Rotors - seems like DBA 4000's are run by a lot of people here. That's what I went with. Some go with cheap rotors and dispose of them very frequently.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:25 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TGiuliante
Hey guys, relatively new to this thread. I crossed over from a Porsche to a 2007 Z. I have been running HPDE's for about 4 - 5 yrs now in my carrera. The Z that I just purchased has a fresh new motor built by RPM motors. A track built motor putting down approx 530 at the wheels. Car has a Bilstein LG motosports coilovers with Phadt sway bars as wel as a few other goodies - I'm pretty excited about my new toy.

What do I need to do with regards to preventative maintenance while running De's. It seems like guys flush thier brake fluid regularly - how often? What about clutch fluid? Power steering? etc..

Could you guys school the newbe.
Just be careful out there...the Z06 stock is in a new league all together, let alone one with 530rwhp. Car should be the fastest thing on the track barring someone shows up with a modified Enzo

It is all about throttle steer and modulation in this car. You no longer have all that weight over the rear axle, so can't just mash the pedal coming out of a corner, especially with all that torque. Car has great turn in and mid corner speed, just need to learn to steer with your foot instead of the steering wheel.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
It is all about throttle steer and modulation in this car. You no longer have all that weight over the rear axle, so can't just mash the pedal coming out of a corner, especially with all that torque. Car has great turn in and mid corner speed, just need to learn to steer with your foot instead of the steering wheel.
Very true. You need to be very judicious on the throttle. Learn to squeeze it with your big toe rather than your whole foot. The car is very easy to drive fast on the straightaway but the real thrill comes from going fast in the turns.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

All you will need to observe is here for a C5 and very similar to all C5/C6:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

Get notified of new replies

To Just purchase my first Z - need advice on Brakes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just purchase my first Z - need advice on Brakes