Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Logging with OBDII & Laptop - ?

Old 07-12-2010, 01:07 PM
the_teapot
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Data Logging with OBDII & Laptop - ?

I am contemplating the use of hardware including a small laptop, OBDII cable, and a GPS antenna in conjunction with data logging software to record track day data. I already have a small laptop computer, digital mini HD camcorder, & camera mount. The camera & mount work great to capture track videos. I figure the cost of an OBDII interface cable, a gps antenna/sensor, & gps data logging software would be significantly less than a data logging/data acquisition unit. My search attempts have gotten me zippo with regard to the above setup. In the end, I may simply end up using something from Mapqdata or a competitor.

I'd like to be able to review trackday data as well as integrate the data in an overlay (speed, tach, trackmap) onto in-car track video (I believe trackvision software will do this).

Has anyone tried this type of setup and if so, what are your thoughts/advice/recommendations (hardware&software)? The only issues I can forsee are securing the laptop and motion/vibration potentially causing read/write issues with the harddrive. Thanks!

Last edited by the_teapot; 07-12-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 354 Likes on 221 Posts

This is what I use....
Datatoys.com from MN
Datacam2.com from I forget where

And here is the easy to download from CF card with not merging and synching to do. Just download from Compact Flash and watch.

http://vimeo.com/12941616

Oli
Old 07-12-2010, 04:47 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are determined to use a laptop, replace the HDD with a SSD. No moving parts. As long as the write speed is good, you should be fine.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:30 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sucking data off the CAN bus is all fine and dandy but you're going to need something to interpret it...
Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at RLC racing if you haven't already. Unfortunately their system are only set up for the Chase cam camera but they have everything that your talking about and more.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure what year they made the switch but most OBD II systems only record at 1hz. That's not fast enough to really tell you much.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM
not sure what year they made the switch but most OBD II systems only record at 1hz. That's not fast enough to really tell you much.
I think '06+ the CAN bus is high speed.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 AM
Me2d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the way You are going to follow.

I recently purchased Dash Command iPhone app, - it maps the track, and is able to comunicate with WiFi OBDII adaptor.
http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...hone/index.php

Here is the list of supported wireless OBD-II Interfaces
http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...e/hardware.php

I think this should work quite well, BUT someone who tried this WiFi adaptors could tell us if the work!

Dash Command app (available for Windows too) can map the track very well, but i cannot see lap times / predicted sector times in this version, but they promote the update - I recomend you to wait for it - list of features is great.

Get notified of new replies

To Data Logging with OBDII & Laptop - ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Data Logging with OBDII & Laptop - ?