Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hardbar/AP T1 brake kit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Thanks John. I spent some hours on that bad boy. I tried to cram as much usable info in there as possible. True to my usual form, probably a bit long winded. I'm working on something similarly long-winded for the discs.

Lol...something like that...but it was definitely a solid effort on both sides of the pond. AP really did an an admirable job taking our input on the design changes/features we wanted, and our in-house race engineer was a great asset to keep things pushing forward. As always, Gary was persistent in supporting vette racers. I think he was possibly the first guy to call me when I switched teams. He had me on the phone asking about corvette brakes before I even started work at my new job.
I think around that time I had emails going across the pond to AP to help me figure out a package, copied Gary on one, and Gary's response was basically cease and desist bc he's on it
Old 07-14-2010, 11:41 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

BTW, email is the best way to get a hold of me, I only check the IM's here once in a while, but I see the emails on my iPhone4 right away. Thanks everyone for the good comments and orders!

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-15-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM
racerx8
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Jeez Gary now I've gotta break open the piggy bank...
Great looking brake package, as usual Great stuff from HARDBAR I'm in for T-1 fronts then rears when available
Old 07-16-2010, 09:17 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks! We really are into technical superiority. Check out the rotor's 70 fins for much improved convection coefficients (as compared to a typical 36-40 vane rotor). This means that the rotor is able to have much improved heat transfer. It is not just about "more airflow", it is more like a 4 row radiator versus a 2. Air molecules are very small, they do not need 1 inch fin spacings to get airflow through. If you ever see an air cooled aircraft engine, you will see many thin fins, closely spaced. The limit is the ability to cast iron with thin, structurally sound, fins with thick rotor faces. The casting quality of this AP rotor is amazing, especially at this price. Also, check out the video, you can see the the security and symplicity of the "captured" fasteners that is an integral feature of the hat that makes rotor swaps fast and easy without clips, springs, wire, etc.

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-16-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You definitely have the market by the nuts now! Rears soon?

Anyone install them on a C6Z yet?

Last edited by John Shiels; 07-16-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:33 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes, the rears will be a smaller piston version of the same. Guess who's C6Z will have them soon?

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-16-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

GH ?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Gary,
Is this T1 front kit for 17" or 18" wheels. If 18's i'm out, just can't swing 3 sets of new wheels.

Great looking set up buddy!

Aaron
Old 07-17-2010, 12:23 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aaron,

I have been told these will work with many 17s. Just not the CCW Classic.

I like the new wheels Oli is testing (with this setup) SWEET!!!

Gary,

The Penskes landed today!!! Will call you next week and talk dyno sheets. Thanks for the blazing fast shipping!!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
Aaron,

I have been told these will work with many 17s. Just not the CCW Classic.

I like the new wheels Oli is testing (with this setup) SWEET!!!

Gary,

The Penskes landed today!!! Will call you next week and talk dyno sheets. Thanks for the blazing fast shipping!!
Thanks Steve! Figures, I have 3 sets of classics! What brand and cost is Oli using?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:12 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://949racing.com/17x10-6ULR-Charcoal.aspx

Much cheaper than CCWs but price isn't posted yet (I don't believe).
Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Even stock C5Z wheels will fit.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:33 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Even stock C5Z wheels will fit.
I have a set of 4 18X10.5 Z wheels, just wish SCCA would approve these for us T1 guys and gals as they are cheap and easy to find.

Aaron
Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
http://949racing.com/17x10-6ULR-Charcoal.aspx

Much cheaper than CCWs but price isn't posted yet (I don't believe).
You guys should talk to oli. I know oli tested the wheels but not with the brakes because iirc they were not available yet. I also think the link is for 17x10" wheels and the ones oli tested were 18" special order as a test with offset needed based on just doing some math aka I think it fits.

I have my T1 car on the lift now and waiting for my brakes to arrive.

I'll have the calipers installed in an hour and post back pics with how far off the 17" ccw is and how it looks with rear C5Z06 18" wheels on front which the SCCA CRB will not allow to be run for some reason. So that means we need to find a 18 x10" wheel and it looks like it is the 949 wheel or the forgelines that chris R has. Any others?

Originally I had the bright idea of seeing if the 17x10 ccw could be converted to 17x11 by changing the replaceable barrel then front wheels could be converted to rear use. Then if John had a 18" ccw that looked close to the ccw race wheel we could match that with Gary's brakes. This way we only needed to buy front sets of wheels. John was silent so maybe he has nothing that will come close to fitting.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rasrboy
I have a set of 4 18X10.5 Z wheels, just wish SCCA would approve these for us T1 guys and gals as they are cheap and easy to find.

Aaron
Aaron,

I tried letters to crb. You may have seen the denials in fastrack. Maybe if others like yourself ask they will approve. CRB said they did not fit. I sent them pictures. Then they just denied them. I said nothing is more in the T1 class philosophy than a stock wheel on the car. They denied it. I told them we can keep max front tire size the same width. Denied anyway. Go figure. If we keep asking maybe we will get somewhere. Rear wheels are so cheap too. It would make a perfect way to ramp up for eventual purchase of good wheels. It is just hard to come up with cash for great brakes AND wheels. I'm going to illegally run my rear wheels on front for now. The 949 wheels will not be available until late this year anyway. I have not seen the brakes w/ forgelines on Chris's car yet but we think that is an option.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by rasrboy

Aaron
Well that is the key point here. There are alot of cheap wheels that will work it is a CRB approval that is the roadblock.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:00 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Well that is the key point here. There are alot of cheap wheels that will work it is a CRB approval that is the roadblock.
Hey Gary,

Stop posting on CF. Put my brakes in a box and get them to fedex. I can hardly wait for my new jewels to come in the mail. Oh..... and send me the "good set" I'm up against stiff competition with Dr. Benne and company. I need an edge!

All the Best,

Doc in PV.

Get notified of new replies

To New Hardbar/AP T1 brake kit!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:32 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I would but I am on Cape Cod with family and only have my new iPhone4. The caliper adapters will be done Monday afternoon then they go to the anodizer shop later in the week. Roy has to ask Nancy's permission to get this system....
Old 07-17-2010, 11:44 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
You guys should talk to oli. I know oli tested the wheels but not with the brakes because iirc they were not available yet. I also think the link is for 17x10" wheels and the ones oli tested were 18" special order as a test with offset needed based on just doing some math aka I think it fits.

I have my T1 car on the lift now and waiting for my brakes to arrive.

I'll have the calipers installed in an hour and post back pics with how far off the 17" ccw is and how it looks with rear C5Z06 18" wheels on front which the SCCA CRB will not allow to be run for some reason. So that means we need to find a 18 x10" wheel and it looks like it is the 949 wheel or the forgelines that chris R has. Any others?

Originally I had the bright idea of seeing if the 17x10 ccw could be converted to 17x11 by changing the replaceable barrel then front wheels could be converted to rear use. Then if John had a 18" ccw that looked close to the ccw race wheel we could match that with Gary's brakes. This way we only needed to buy front sets of wheels. John was silent so maybe he has nothing that will come close to fitting.
forgeSTAR
Old 07-17-2010, 12:49 PM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary knows me too well. I am sending all my new stuff to where my car lives to avoid my boss noticing new boxes arriving at home. I am still awaiting a more cost affective wheel to present itself before I make the swap. Until then, all you big brake guys will have to give up 50 Lbs to me and hope I don't have brake problems when I am behind you going into a corner.

Oli already knows how risky that can be.

Roy

Quick Reply: New Hardbar/AP T1 brake kit!