Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hardbar/AP T1 brake kit!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I picked up a used T1 setup and got it on my 02Z over the weekend. My car is a combo street/track car. On the street I am using the stock 02Z 17"/18" Speedlines and for the track it will be 18" rear Speedlines on all 4. I also have the LG spindle ducts.

With the background info out of the way, I have a question. How much clearance do you recommend between the wheel spokes and the caliper? With the stock 17s, they fit but it is CLOSE. I'm thinking that I'll probably just throw in a .125" spacer on them for the street to be safe but wondered if there was a consensus out there for what was a good air gap between the wheel and caliper.
From this post:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1574785296-post59.html

The issue is width, you need about 57mm from the face of the rotor to the inside of the spoke.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:35 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

The issue is width, you need about 57mm from the face of the rotor to the inside of the spoke.
"About" is a fairly vague answer when you are talking about a scale in mm.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"About" is a fairly vague answer when you are talking about a scale in mm.
Feel better if we say 2.25 inches?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,719 Likes on 929 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

As long as it doesnt touch your good.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM
passmenow
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Agree the calipers clear factory wheels.
Out of 6 17 inch front rims I had one pair of aftermarket chrome spokes that did need a thin spacer.
No tire to fender issues with the thin spacer.
This brake set up will last 2 or 3 times as long as stock front brakes.
Plus they just feel great, I went with the pads reccomended front and rear and gained a couple of seconds a lap in brake confidece right away.
Then I sold the car.
Miller 4.5 track with the brake kit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg-o51nMCA4
Old 10-25-2012, 08:54 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I picked up a used T1 setup and got it on my 02Z over the weekend. My car is a combo street/track car. On the street I am using the stock 02Z 17"/18" Speedlines and for the track it will be 18" rear Speedlines on all 4. I also have the LG spindle ducts.

With the background info out of the way, I have a question. How much clearance do you recommend between the wheel spokes and the caliper? With the stock 17s, they fit but it is CLOSE. I'm thinking that I'll probably just throw in a .125" spacer on them for the street to be safe but wondered if there was a consensus out there for what was a good air gap between the wheel and caliper.
Brian - I run the 17" speedlines on the track (with street tires) quite a bit and haven't had any issues so I can't imgine you'd have a problem on the street.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's actually one of the main advantages of this kit; it clears the factory 17" along with most other wheels.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by argonaut
Brian - I run the 17" speedlines on the track (with street tires) quite a bit and haven't had any issues so I can't imgine you'd have a problem on the street.
Well... apparently something isn't quite the same. I will also add that I am using C6 knuckles, although I think the relevant measurements are the same.

I have everything on, the rotor is dead center in the caliper (had to shim after the LG ducts were added) and with NAPA rotors I hit. When I put on a set of old POS rotors that I had laying around, they hit as well.

The AP rotors are just slightly different, but it is enough. With them it doesn't hit.

Oh well. The track setup with the AP rotors on it is perfect and fits with the 17s, which is my rain setup. For the street with the NAPA rotors I'll toss in the .125 spacers and call it a day.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I run 17" speedlines with NAPA type rotors and they clear AP rotors by about 1/4".
Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 AM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
That's what she said.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I run 17" speedlines with NAPA type rotors and they clear AP rotors by about 1/4".
It seems to me like if the rotor is centered in the caliper (which it is) the only thing that could have an effect on the wheel/caliper location would be the rotor thickness and the wheel itself. Everything behind the rotor is a known once it is aligned.

I'm guessing you aren't going to find Speedline off on the wheels so it really has to be the rotors are a little off.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 PM
lazz
Intermediate

I'm running this kit on the front of my stock-ish c6 z06 with carbotech pads (xp20 for track, 1521 street).

The thick AP rotors interfered with the quantum duct adapters where they bolt together, so I had to pull them off. I'm going with the LG ducts now (sitting in a box in my garage). They don't have the bolts, so I'm hoping they'll work ok.

Does anyone else get humming under hard braking? I get a hum at the end of the long straights (Thill T14, T1 in particular). The pedal feels fine, and the car slows down, so physically things seem to be working. Humming brakes are a first for me though
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by lazz
Does anyone else get humming under hard braking? I get a hum at the end of the long straights (Thill T14, T1 in particular). The pedal feels fine, and the car slows down, so physically things seem to be working. Humming brakes are a first for me though
It's the J-hooks. Nothing to worry about.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:15 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by lazz

Yep...usually the sound is described as a 'whirring' noise.

Hi Guys, I started a new thread for our upcoming Sprint Brake System, which will replace the T1 System. Details on a larger six piston front setup, and a four piston rear setup for all of you T1 owners are in that thread as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Hardbar/AP T1 brake kit!