Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Cooling - Anyone used a FAST Cool Suit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driver Cooling - Anyone used a FAST Cool Suit?

Anyone have a suggestion on what to do to cool off the driver? It getting way to hot in the car after 20 minutes or so and the fresh air ducts I have coming in are just not doing enough. I am wearing a full Nomex suit too. I have no AC or fans inside the car. I was thinking about getting a fan or I have seen this Fast system for about 400$. It seems like it would be nice although, I am not sure about cutting a hole through my fire suit to run the hoses for the shirt.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't cut holes in your suit, you fish the tubes through the double zipper near the crotch. A helmet fitted for a blower is also a huge benefit.

When I use both, I always leave the race car comfortably.

Mike
Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 PM
LenovoRepairGuy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of people spend thousands on tires/brakes/go fast mods, but cringe at the thought of a $500 cool-shirt setup and helmet equipped for a blower.

IMO if you're not comforable out there then why bother in the first palce?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:04 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I also use the FAST cool shirt and helmet cooler. Would not think of going out in heat without it.

Ed
Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool Shirt here. Wish I got the helmet cooler too.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:28 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

the newer 968 cool shirt is supposed to be better than the FAST system
Old 07-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Cool... thanks for the advice
Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
the newer 968 cool shirt is supposed to be better than the FAST system
I just got one to try out. The shirt is crazy looking compared to a traditional Cool Shirt. I will see how it does at the Aug Double National at Miller.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At Riley the FAST cool system was what we offered as an option in the cars. We had good feed back from the drivers, and great support from FAST.

At Red Bull, drivers use a Kustom Komponents helmet a/c unit
Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Bought the coolshirt last year and love it, WIsh I had the helmet blower but the shirt helps a lot. And as Mike said, just run the hoses out the front zipper. I have the one with the controller so I can ajust the flow, it works great. JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 07-19-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Jaymz
Pro

The 986 system is very nice. I have a FAST system and have issues keeping the ice from melting in the cooler during a race.

The 986 system keeps the ice frozen for at least 3-4 times longer than the fast system. I am sold on it.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jaymz
The 986 system is very nice. I have a FAST system and have issues keeping the ice from melting in the cooler during a race.

The 986 system keeps the ice frozen for at least 3-4 times longer than the fast system. I am sold on it.
Where are you guys finding the 986? I can't find any info on it even on Cool shirt website.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I wrap my Cool Shirt cooler with that silver bubble insulation before I put it in the the car and that seemd to help with the life of the ice.

The most I ask of the ice is to last ~60 minutes.

I haven't seen anything on the 986 or 968 system, what is that?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Jaymz
Pro

I got mine from Discovery Parts, tell him James with the Blue Corvette sent you.

http://www.discoveryparts.com/

The system uses a coil and the water for the suit runs thru the coil and the coil is cooled by the ice. The water in the shirt and the ice never toush each other so it help keep the ice frozen longer.

The shirt is also different. It has a large bladder in the core of your chest and back vs the lines of tubing in the fast system. The shirt is also made with a different material not cotton. it's like a skin tight biccycle shirt. I didn't think I would like the tightness of the shirt but it worked to help hold the water bladder closer to me to keep me cooler.

I had the ice last a couple of hours in June at Road Atlanta. The outside temps were 95 F. I bet it was 120+ inside of my car.

http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bi...s_986&pid=1049

Last edited by Jaymz; 07-20-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added link for 986 system at Discovery Parts
Old 07-20-2010, 10:06 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just starting using my cool suit this year and it is like cheating! I just used it this past weekend at NJMP where the temps were in the mid-90's. I stayed nice a cool for my almost 90 min stint!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I got mine from Discovery Parts, tell him James with the Blue Corvette sent you.

The system uses a coil and the water for the suit runs thru the coil and the coil is cooled by the ice. The water in the shirt and the ice never toush each other so it help keep the ice frozen longer.

The shirt is also different. It has a large bladder in the core of your chest and back vs the lines of tubing in the fast system. The shirt is also made with a different material not cotton. it's like a skin tight biccycle shirt. I didn't think I would like the tightness of the shirt but it worked to help hold the water bladder closer to me to keep me cooler.

I had the ice last a couple of hours in June at Road Atlanta. The outside temps were 95 F. I bet it was 120+ inside of my car.

WOW! $900, and that's with a discount!

I've been using the regular Cool Shirt system for years and won't go to Atlanta (Heck, anywhere in the south) without it.

I always like to get in the car, drive to grid, get real warm, then turn the Cool Shirt switch on and and wait for the shock of the cold water hitting my back and chest.

It's absolutely exhilarating.

BTW, the guy (Rich Shafer) who owned the Cool Shirt company raced with us in NASA SE. He was killed in a Hill Climb event last fall. Heck of a nice guy who always a pleasure to be around. He did a lot for the hobby.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
You don't cut holes in your suit, you fish the tubes through the double zipper near the crotch. A helmet fitted for a blower is also a huge benefit.

When I use both, I always leave the race car comfortably.

Mike
Which helmet and blower are you guys using??

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Cooling - Anyone used a FAST Cool Suit?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for the link!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:19 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's the web site for 986:

http://www.986inc.com/
Old 07-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Yeah, thanks for the links. I was thinking you meant a new version of the cool shirt itself...

Quick Reply: Driver Cooling - Anyone used a FAST Cool Suit?