Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EMRA Time Trial at NJMP Lightning...enterted at last minute, walked away with a win!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:32 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default EMRA Time Trial at NJMP Lightning...enterted at last minute, walked away with a win!

I have to tell someone as none of my real friends care

Entered ST1 last Sunday at the last minute (actually just showed up that morning) and on my last session came out with a 1:12.6. I got a nice 2.5ft tall plastic trophy (at least my 6 year old was impressed)

My last time at CART was a 1:12.7, so I beat myself by a tenth of a second. This was also done on 4 track day old used Hoosier R6's with a dozen heat cycles (running at 32lbs cold). This time around there were actually several ST1 competitors, so it turned out to be lots of fun. Weather stayed relatively cool in the high 70's, which probably helped the HP factor.

Not sure I was fond of their new format. Instead of having dedicated timed runs like CART, NASA, SCCA, at the end of the day, they simply took your times from the practice sessions. Yes, I also thought this was strange for a couple reasons:

1) Your constantly fighting traffic for a clean lap.
2) It created a competitiveness in the practice sessions that was almost equal to actual racing (as everyone is trying to get in good times).

The sessions weren't as crowded as typical HPDE, but nontheless, unless they change their format, I don't think I will be running with them any time soon. Don't get me wrong, GREAT group of people and saftey is their priority, I just think the new format puts folks in awkward situation to make poor judgement calls for the sake of good times. It seemed their goal in this decision was to allow folks to have more track time, but in my opinion if you are looking for abundant track time, TT is not the event for you. It is for those who wish to compete and win vs. having 3 hours of track time in a day.

In the end, I made it home safe once more and got another piece of fine plastic sitting in my office
Old 08-05-2010, 11:02 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Cyclonite
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was supposed to be there but the trans in my truck went out last Monday and I couldn't tow my car there. Glad to hear you did so well.

I haven't run with EMRA since they changed their timing format. Were there enough cars on the track that you couldn't come in to the pits for a second and wait for a good opening to get a clean run?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclonite

I was supposed to be there but the trans in my truck went out last Monday and I couldn't tow my car there. Glad to hear you did so well.

I haven't run with EMRA since they changed their timing format. Were there enough cars on the track that you couldn't come in to the pits for a second and wait for a good opening to get a clean run?

Thanks for the thumbs up guys!

They put in standard HPDE guys in the run groups, so there were too many cars that I could not get a clean lap until the very last session of the day (after most the HPDE guys left).
Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

When I did EMRA we ran all day and then blocked the last 2-3 hrs for solo runs, basically like NASCAR qualifying. It was fun to stop and watch everybody else run, and the "all eyes on you" and have 1 crack at it, really teaches you to sit on the stove and sweat ice water.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats Matt good work
Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

but one question if they are real friends are we fake friends?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Nice Job Congrats, my kids love those trophies also
Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

That does sound like a stange format, but congrats either way Matt.

Get notified of new replies

To EMRA Time Trial at NJMP Lightning...enterted at last minute, walked away with a win!

Quick Reply: EMRA Time Trial at NJMP Lightning...enterted at last minute, walked away with a win!