Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Ohio ALMS Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:52 PM
slove
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mid-Ohio ALMS Results

#4 Corvette took second place,# 3 Corvette went out early with an overheating issue.

The GT2 race was by far the best race to watch as usual the Porsche,BMW,Ferrari and Corvette's mixed it up.

Ferrari 1st

Corvette 2nd

Porsche 3rd
Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 PM
gbecton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I think BMW was third. (3rd)
Old 08-08-2010, 12:53 AM
sundiego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.americanlemans.com/files/...rov%20Race.pdf
Old 08-08-2010, 12:59 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

nice wish i coulda watched on the web
Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 AM
slove
Intermediate

You are correct BMW was third,I was mistaken. I saw the Porsche pass both BMW's on a restart and I thought that was how he gained a postion. I think they made one more pit stop that I forgot about. On to the next race !!!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:25 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by dvandentop
I do too...

Hell, I wish they'd not air it on TV at all if they're going to wait a week to show it. At least show it that night. I've not even looked, but is the IRL going to be live on TV?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:42 AM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

... some really good racing. That was fun to watch. Gavin just ran out of time. He would have eventually taken out Melo. Of course Risi probably wouldn't have put on a half set of tires if there were more time!... but then again, if they hadn't, they wouldn't have beat #4 out of the pits and Gaven would have maintained the lead... yep, Gavin just needed a bit more time.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
I finally got it to load for the last few minutes. My ol countryfied DSL would skip and run, skip and run but it was better than nothing.

HD is a great thing for those who have great connections to the web but limits the number of viewers that get to enjoy the programming.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:37 AM
sinatra vette
Instructor

it was good racing to watch. i think the gt2 series can survive on its own. is it me or does anyone else just get anoyed when they switch to those lmp pieces of junk??
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by sinatra vette
it was good racing to watch. i think the gt2 series can survive on its own. is it me or does anyone else just get anoyed when they switch to those lmp pieces of junk??
I dont' mind the LMP cars, but don't like the lopsided focus on them vs the other classes. All of the classes deserve their time to shine.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:43 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Was a fantastic race. I enjoyed every minute of it. It's been a great year overall for the ALMS. Just need to work out the bugs on that 3 car. But it seems like when it rains it pours. Was nice seeing someone other than the Patron LMP car win. Been rooting for the Dyson and Drayson LMPs this year.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:32 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

If I am reading the results correctly, the Corvette finished under a second behind the Ferrari! 2 hour and 45 minute race separated by less than a second! Now that's racing.
Congrats to Team Corvette on the Podium finish, keep it up.

Now it's time to watch one of the two NASCAR races I watch all year, Go Ron Fellows!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:40 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut
I dont' mind the LMP cars, but don't like the lopsided focus on them vs the other classes. All of the classes deserve their time to shine.
Actually I thought the web cast did a great job of showing each class. They were always switching back and forth to show how each were doing. I saw more GT racing in the 2 hours and 45 minutes then I have seen all year.

Originally Posted by zipity
If I am reading the results correctly, the Corvette finished under a second behind the Ferrari! 2 hour and 45 minute race separated by less than a second! Now that's racing.
Congrats to Team Corvette on the Podium finish, keep it up.

Now it's time to watch one of the two NASCAR races I watch all year, Go Ron Fellows!
That is not unsual for the GT field to be bunched close all day long. I do think that the Rici Ferrari is the class of the GT field right now, but Corvette seems to have gained. I also think Rici has not shown their complete hand yet. They seem to be able to run fast enough to stay in front, but not run away.
They had that fuel issue and fell way off the pace, but did not have a bit of trouble to simply pass everyone with ease. Hopefully someone will notice and add a little weight or a smaller air restrictor.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:57 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by TR6speed
They had that fuel issue and fell way off the pace, but did not have a bit of trouble to simply pass everyone with ease. Hopefully someone will notice and add a little weight or a smaller air restrictor.
That and Melo is absolutely NUTS. That pass he made on BOTH BMWs was simply amazing. Damn mid-engined cars. Personally, if he hadn't made that pass then, the race may have finished differently. Not sure the Ferrari is that much faster than the rest of the field. When you get lucky, you just keep getting lucky (or unlucky in the #3's case). If the corvette boys have to lose, I'd prefer it be to Risi. They've got a stand up team.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:06 PM
gtb75
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Any word on what happened to the #3 car? I know it came in for overheating and turned out to have no coolant. They filled the car up, went back out for a lap, and then retired.

With all of the engine related problems they've been having, maybe they should consider going back to having Katech build their engines for them
Old 08-08-2010, 07:40 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gtb75
Any word on what happened to the #3 car? I know it came in for overheating and turned out to have no coolant. They filled the car up, went back out for a lap, and then retired.

With all of the engine related problems they've been having, maybe they should consider going back to having Katech build their engines for them
A reliable Corvette Racing source told us at the Mid-Ohio Corvette Corral ... that the majority of development people involved with the race engine are the same Katech people that work on the GT1 engines (that are used over in Europe) ... so I don't think that is the issue.

I think the fact that they have developed a brand new 5.5L engine is the issues, and bugs need to be worked out.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 PM
slove
Intermediate

This was the first time I watched the web-cast and I was very happy with the coverage. 1st no ad's and they did do a good job showing all of the classes. They did spend quite a bit of time on the GT2 event. I will try this again

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-Ohio ALMS Results

Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I didn't get to see the webcast so I can't comment on how even it was, I just know that the TV coverage seemed lopsided in the past unless something they felt was worth showing was happening in GT
Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think engine related problems had much to do with one car hitting another in the pits this year..... and similar other "team" mistakes. They have not been executing like the teams of old.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The web cast was great, I watched the Laguna one and then this one. I hope ALMS keeps doing this. They had lots of GT coverarge, unlike Grand Am who hardly shows GT. They were also streaming practice and qualifying on Friday. Gavin was in the lead for quite a while. On the last pit stop, under yellow, he took 4 tires which unfortunately turned out to be the wrong decision. Melo took two and beat him out of the pits. Meanwhile the BMWs went into the lead. Melo passed both at the key hole on the restart, incredible move and then went way into the lead. By the time Gavin got by BMWs Melo was to far ahead to catch. As mentioned, he just ran out of time. Great race.

Quick Reply: Mid-Ohio ALMS Results