Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Run the Ring in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:52 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Going to Run the Ring in Germany

Well just got notice I have to head to a meeting at Porsche factory in Stuttgart Germany next week I will be there 3 days then plan on heading up to Nürburg to see if I can get a lap or two on the ring. Seems as if they let any cars on it for a small fee on most days.

Anyone ever run the ring? Any tips? Will be in my cheep rental and will take it quite easy maybe just add a little bit of spirit to the mix :-)
Old 08-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Well just got notice I have to head to a meeting at Porsche factory in Stuttgart Germany next week I will be there 3 days then plan on heading up to Nürburg to see if I can get a lap or two on the ring. Seems as if they let any cars on it for a small fee on most days.

Anyone ever run the ring? Any tips? Will be in my cheep rental and will take it quite easy maybe just add a little bit of spirit to the mix :-)
Be sure to check your rental agreement, as many rental companies have a "no Ring" clause in the contract.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:39 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i ran it ! there are too pretty big outfits that rent race cars for about 400 to 1200 dollars a day. i got the 400 dollar car. it was a turbo golf tuned and race suspension and full cage. little thing was fun to drive and did 140 mph no problem. try to get a ride with someone so you can see the line. the owner of the company gave me one helluve ride, he was a retired race car driver and we passed everything. but after about 20 turns i just lost track. he said it takes a professional almost a year to learn the track it has 73 turns !!!!!!!

if you can......... do two days, you will have much more fun on the second day.

its about 5 bucks a lap and cheaper if you buy 8 or more tickets.

dollar is stronger now so maybe 300 for a race car and 3 bucks a lap now. i was there when the dollar was at the bottom

FYI all the rental agreements in Europe forbid tracking rental cars.

i really recomend renting a race car.

otherwise it is a waste
Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

That should be fun!! It is one of the things I want to do eventually. My grandpa was stationed in Germany when he was in the army, late '40s I think. He took his '42 Mercedes, he bought while over there, to the ring. He piled it with three of his friends and he said had tires squealing through most of the track!

Originally Posted by rustyguns
i ran it ! there are too pretty big outfits that rent race cars for about 400 to 1200 dollars a day. i got the 400 dollar car. it was a turbo golf tuned and race suspension and full cage. little thing was fun to drive and did 140 mph no problem. try to get a ride with someone so you can see the line. the owner of the company gave me one helluve ride, he was a retired race car driver and we passed everything. but after about 20 turns i just lost track. he said it takes a professional almost a year to learn the track it has 73 turns !!!!!!!
I believe it!

This probably is no comparison, but any who has played Gran Turismo 4 for Playstation 2 knows it has the ring in it. It took me forever to learn the layout and that was just to make it around without going in the grass! Being fast is another story. Granted it is just a video game but that track is HARD!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you do, do it safe, beware of slow and a lot faster moving traffic, yes they let people with old VW buses drive the ring.

Here's a firm renting cars: http://www.rent-racecar.de/english/v...ices/index.htm

Have fun, I did

Fred
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been there 3 times and logged about 25 laps.

Here is my advice:
1) Learn the track as much as possible on the computer. GT4 or Forza are great. (use a regular car) Viewing videos is not as good, but better than nothing.

2) Rent a real car meant to be run on the 'Ring. I use www.rsrnurburg.com and I rent the old Alfa 75s. This is by far the best bang for the buck, and it is a competent car (the racing seat's padding was toast - bring a pillow from the hotel just in case).

3) Spend an entire day if you can. The Alfa has free mileage, which is unique there, I believe. If not, do an entire evening. Weekdays are by far the best. Check the schedule on the track's website; they are not always open for track touring.

It will be a life changing event. Enjoy!

Last edited by Z06trackman; 08-11-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

I was there about two years ago. Darn good time. There's so stinking many corners (lots of them blind corners) that look alike that it was impossible for me to have any idea how far into the lap I was. It wasn't until I got to the long straight before the exit that I had any idea where I was.
I'm unclear about the rental car issue. I don't recall there being anything mentioned when I rented my car (the silver one) at the airport. The 'Ring is a toll road, and I was told that the usual traffic rules applied.

Definitely take advantage of the opportunity to spend some time there. Most everybody there had some decent road manners, but there is the occasional idiot to be aware of.

Just out of curiosity, whatcha doing at Stuttgart? I've spent a bit of time down the road at Weissach on some engineering business trips. I didn't get to drive on the test track there, but was given some pretty fast rides in some development cars there by their test drivers. It was also amusing to see a caravan of Porsche development cars going in and out of the center with a couple comparison Corvettes in the bunch.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also vote for renting the race car. It will be more fun and if you wreck a rental car in Germany at the ring you will be paying for it!

I go to Germany all of the time and they always go over the cars with a fine tooth comb. I gotten into several heated arguments with the idiots that check the cars in the Munich airport.

Tim
Old 08-11-2010, 11:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Geez Paul

Going to Porsche factory and the Ring this trip

Last winter it was Ferrari in Marrinllo then Shanghi F1 race

Need one of those pocket pen cams ;0

ie dont forget PICTURES if you can
Old 08-11-2010, 02:01 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Geez Paul

Going to Porsche factory and the Ring this trip

Last winter it was Ferrari in Marrinllo then Shanghi F1 race

Need one of those pocket pen cams ;0

ie dont forget PICTURES if you can
I do get lucky sometimes .... been on plenty of trips which totally suck.

Thanks to these post I found some good rental units but now have figured out track is not open the day I want to go ... got to figure this out...
Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Good luck. That would just be WAY too much fun.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Me2d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...now have figured out track is not open the day I want to go ... got to figure this out...
I was just going to tell you - it is closed on monday 16th, BUT - it is ONLY exclusively booked for Manthey Porsche http://www.manthey-racing.de - that could be Your advantage if You make business in Stuttgart - try to ask them!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Extend your trip one way or the other - I've never done it, but you're that close - so make it happen!

I bought a Playstation PSP a couple of years ago for long flights to Asia... It has Gran Turismo and the Ring on it... you can practice on the flight!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I do get lucky sometimes .... been on plenty of trips which totally suck.

Thanks to these post I found some good rental units but now have figured out track is not open the day I want to go ... got to figure this out...
Those Darn Flight delays . . .

Get notified of new replies

To Going to Run the Ring in Germany

Quick Reply: Going to Run the Ring in Germany