Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First HPDE Questions

Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 PM
racer313g
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First HPDE Questions

Taking my stock Z06 to it's first HPDE in a few weeks. Was going to do a brake system flush and replace the fluid with Wilwood EXP 600. Not sure if it has ceramic or metallic pads but was told it's a good idea to run metallics. Opinions?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:55 PM
donymo
Intermediate

The short answer is - ceramic pads won't work so good on the track.
You should get a set of track specific pads, like CarboTech XP10 for example.

Read up here for brake pad and other important HPDE info http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 08-12-2010, 03:29 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

What year Z06 are you running. If its a new one especially the cermaics just don't do so well at HPDEs donymo is right. Composite at least like Hawk HP+ or the CarboTech's (i don't have any personal experiences so I am not sure which ones are a good level for street tires and a beginner).

The link above is also huge. I am getting ready to do my 4th one in a few weeks so I have had a bit of learning over the past few months as well. Youll be hooked after your 2nd session when you get to go full out!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:01 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From an instructor perspective, just 4 important things for your first HPDE.

1) Yes good idea to replace brake fluid (wilwood is fine)
2) Listen to your instructor and be willing to learn no matter how much money you make or you social status or prior experience. They will make your time fun and safe.
3) Have fun, don't be nervous or worry about impressing anyone (no one cares at these events).
4) If you remember to be safe and get your car home the EXACT way it got there, you will be fine!

No need for any upgrades or parts yet.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:06 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

don't worry about the pads. For your first event, it is much more important to work on learning the line, using smooth inputs (hand and feet), and add speed gradually. If you do get fast enough to see brake fade, just back off a bit on concentrate more on the corners.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:37 PM
racer313g
Instructor

It's an '01. I've got to have the front rotors turned anyway (the slightest steering wheel shimmy annoys me to no end) so throwing in another set of pads isn't a big deal. I know I'm not going to reach the potential of that car in two days, just would rather be safe. Any opinions on good track/street pads keeping in mind I drive this thing to work about 4 days a week?

Two weeks until VIR....
Old 08-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I agree with whats been said on here already. Listen to the instructor, smooth movements, learn the line before you start adding speed.

I would also recommend some streetable pads that can take some sort of track abuse. I know several people (myself included) had a tendency to drag the brakes at first. This will make them fade fast, even if you are not hard on them from speed. I have used Hawk HP+ pads in the past with my street tires with good results. They can take the temps of the track pretty well, and you can drive home on them after. I use HP+ as my street pad.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by racer313g
It's an '01. I've got to have the front rotors turned anyway (the slightest steering wheel shimmy annoys me to no end) so throwing in another set of pads isn't a big deal. I know I'm not going to reach the potential of that car in two days, just would rather be safe. Any opinions on good track/street pads keeping in mind I drive this thing to work about 4 days a week?

Two weeks until VIR....
I would start with new rotors, you can get quality rotors for a decent price. As far as track pads look at the Carbotech xp8. This pad can be driven on the street no problem. There will be dust and noise. you can call me direct at 216-780-8825 i will be happy to answer your questions and place an order for you!

Price $173.91 I also have these rotors in stock.

Corvette - C5 - Centric C-Tek - Front Left 1987-2004 121.62059 $50.00

Corvette - C5 - Centric C-Tek - Front Right 1987-2004 121.62060 $50.00

Carbotech XP8™ (1108™)
A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range (200°F-1350°F+). Carbotech XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Outstanding initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance, very rotor friendly with 100% non-corrosive dust. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter ITA, ITB, ITC, SRF, H4, H5, and other cars that weigh less than 2,400lbs. Perfect for novice, intermediate and advanced track day (HPDE) use with any tire, and can still be driven safely to and from the track. There are several vehicles that use XP8™ on the street, autocross, and at track day (HPDE) events. Carbotech does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. XP8™ is also a great rear brake pad for almost any race car (Spec Miata-T1/T2/CMC). XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are new, 99% of the basic HPDE questions are answered in this Forum Sticky:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 PM
blkz
Pro

Agree with the above . Don't worry about upgrades . Have your car checked out by a good mechanic before you go . Listen to your instructor , it's not a race , you'll be nervous , hydrate and have fun .
Old 08-17-2010, 06:03 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blkz
Agree with the above . Don't worry about upgrades . Have your car checked out by a good mechanic before you go . Listen to your instructor , it's not a race , you'll be nervous , hydrate and have fun .
Knowing racer313 this one made me laugh. It is very good advice no doubt.

The mechanic and the nervous aren't an issue. Don't let him fool you. Our road racing N00b friend drives 200+ mph on most weekends.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM
racer313g
Instructor

You also may notice...that car doesn't turn....or stop....
Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are ceramic brake pads not as good for H.P.D.E.s oppose to metallic pads, I have someone arguing with me saying that ceramics are better because they come on the Enzo and ZR1. TIA
Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

More important to me would be to bolt check the car or have a good mech you trust do it.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:23 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Threshold
Why are ceramic brake pads not as good for H.P.D.E.s oppose to metallic pads, I have someone arguing with me saying that ceramics are better because they come on the Enzo and ZR1. TIA
What comes on those cars are not your typical ceramics. They are carbon ceramic. There is a pretty big difference. They are more like carbon fiber with a ceramic material to hold it together.

Your typical ceramics that come on newer cars are made to be quiet and not produce any brake dust. They will stop your car normally, but will not stand up to the heat produced at a track. A good semi metallic pad is much better on a track and can still work very well on teh street.

I have been running the hawk HPS on my 98 camaro and they work great. I don't race it much (mainly 2-3 autocrosses a year), but have had the pads on there for 3 years now. My dad runs the HP+ on his 90 ZR-1. They work great for stoping when cold or hot, but they are very noisy when driving around town.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the explanation
Old 12-10-2010, 01:35 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

There are lots of great guys on here to learn from. I was where you are now it takes a little sifting to figure out who is trying to help and who is trying to sell parts. Don't be afraid to send a PM asking questions they don't bite...really. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by ssdeuce; 12-10-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 PM
FlamingZ06
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
What comes on those cars are not your typical ceramics. They are carbon ceramic. There is a pretty big difference. They are more like carbon fiber with a ceramic material to hold it together.

Your typical ceramics that come on newer cars are made to be quiet and not produce any brake dust. They will stop your car normally, but will not stand up to the heat produced at a track. A good semi metallic pad is much better on a track and can still work very well on teh street.
Not exactly.

The "ceramic" on these cars (Enzo and ZR1) refers to the ROTORS, not the pads.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
From an instructor perspective, just 4 important things for your first HPDE.

1) Yes good idea to replace brake fluid (wilwood is fine)
2) Listen to your instructor and be willing to learn no matter how much money you make or you social status or prior experience. They will make your time fun and safe.
3) Have fun, don't be nervous or worry about impressing anyone (no one cares at these events).
4) If you remember to be safe and get your car home the EXACT way it got there, you will be fine!

No need for any upgrades or parts yet.
good advice!

Get notified of new replies

To First HPDE Questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First HPDE Questions