Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nurburgring Catastrophe, well almost

Old 08-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Nurburgring Catastrophe, well almost

Hi guys, just wanted to share my attempt to set new record on the ring, i participated with a group that rented the track for three days. 0800 through 1930 every day.
A full report will come later when we have figured out what went wrong, and then head back and try again.

First of all, the record i am talking about is for street legel production cars, Viper ACR held the record 7.22 until resently, Porsche GT2 RS just did a 7.18 lap time.
I know that Ferrari 599XX, Radical and few extreme cars has run below 7 min, but hey, they are closer to a GT1 car, so why dont GM just run their race car ?

Anyway, that week become a dark time in my life, as i almost lost the car, one partner at work died age 39 and i got hernia again, just one year after my last operasion.

Arve Steinmo, died just 39 years old, his son turned 4 years the day after, life seems so unfair at times.
He just completed his dreamhome, and a few years from now he hoped to cash in on our business so life was secured.
RIP Arve, you where one of those unique persons on the planet, that always smiled and had a good remark on his tongue

I go to the ring, monday was raining and the laptimes was slow, but it was good to go around and build up the rythm again.
Tuesday just before lunch it was dry and i filled up E85 from my "private" gas station at the hotel and set out to test for lap times.
I put memory card in camera and racetechnology equipment, but FORGET to turn it on

After two laps, car was flying, i had previous done 7.48 so the gap down was scary big, but now my car was flying, the Katech build 472 engine is a monster and the rest of the car set up to perfect balance.
I passed Porsche GT3 RS, 997 Turbo and Ferarri Scuderia 430 as they was parked.
The speed i could carry into turns was unreal, just a dab of break and wait for apex, then lay it down again.
I always have my DIC info set on oil pressure so anytime i have a sec available i glance down to see.
It is a habbit i have made after two engine break down, but hey now i am running Katech, and we all know they dont break
Oil pressure in the 472 have always been much lower than my stock LS7, but according to Jason, nothing to worry about.
oil pressure under 45 psi at WOT 6800 rpm is too low in my book, but hey, they are the experts.
On flugplatz on my fourth lap, i noticed smoke getting into car after the second right hander, just as i prepared for a takeover.
i looked down and DIC said low or no oil pressure, wtf. ?
i passed the other car just by the speed i gained after the turn and the shut down engine and coasted by him propably doing 140 mph.
i coasted down to Arenberg to get a safe place to park the car, the stretch Schwedenkreutz is not a safe place to leave car at side of the road as most of the car will do 150 to 170 mph here.

The car i passed pulled over and told me i was on full fire when i was behind him, the whole underside of the car was burning as oil hit the headers.

Long story short, my 3 stage drysump pulley wheel was not secured good enough and let go and then my engine quickly got filled with oil, and at some point crank/piston hit oil genereating tremendous pressure and forcing oil through valve cover gasket, spewing oil all over engine compartment.

I was depressed, furios and went to room, just to get notice that Arve had died that morning. omg. my problems suddently was microscopic.

A few days later i get home, just to be hospitalized with hernia and my intestians squeezed so i was in big pain and almost had an emergenzy operation done that night, well they pushed intestians back and i avoided the operation now and was able to go in my friends funeral.

Well i just had to share, engine troubble was suddently nothing compared to Arves wife and his son situation.

Today we looked over the car, drained oil (only a gallon left), will do analyze on oil toi see for internal damage, i hope not.
Got pulley back, will do locktite and make sure it does not come loose again.
Then i discovered another disturbing thing, my rear diffiser has been touching ground, and both rear wheels has bottomed out so badly that my lower A arms was chewed on bad
i guess 155 mph in fuchsrore with the big wing was too much

Pictures can be found here
http://gallery.me.com/z06norway#100074

regards
Rune
Old 08-14-2010, 02:38 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

that's a tough weekend
Old 08-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Hi Rune:

Sorry to hear of your loss and misfortune. Losing someone close is always tough.

Be thankful for your health and be grateful your condition can be treated. Despite your losses, you are living the life. You obviously have financial means that puts you on a world renowned track in an especially unique car for Europe. All that stuff can be fixed and you will return with more vigor and success than before.

My condolences to you, your partner's wife and my heart especially goes out to his four-year old. That is so sad.

Fastest regards,

Oli
Old 08-14-2010, 04:46 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

My condolences rune. Best wishes on your Nurbergring lap record effort.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 PM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry for your loss........losing friends early is wrenching.......no words can comfort.

Tough day at the track, but better days are coming. Everything that happened can be fixed and you can reset and conquer.

Well I have been on Nurburgring a few laps as a passenger in a EVO with a professional driver and what this man is attempting is no small feat. This course is UN BEE LIVE ABLE and you have to know it by heart to drive it fast.

In my case.......He knew,..... I didnt and when you are going that fast and you cant see where you are going to be negotiating the course next ( a blind drop off)........it is spine tingling.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As everyone has already said - very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Hopefully your engine will be fine, and you will be back on your record setting attempt very soon. Keep us posted and best of luck.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very sorry for the loss of Arve. Things like that remind us the rest is just unimportant nuts and bolts.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:00 PM
shifter77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry 4 ur misfotune and mostly about ur friend. Alles goed jonge en bleif voorzichtig.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Rune,

No words will help, sorry to hear about your friend and my prayers for his family.

Nut and bolting a car is so critical before any event. Like you said, a few bent pieces of metal is nothing compared to life itself. Learn from it and good luck when you go back out.

Mike
Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Sorry you lost your friend, & glad you caught the hernia in time. Health is all.

Can you tell from your split if you were on track for a record lap?

Old 08-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
Sorry you lost your friend, & glad you caught the hernia in time. Health is all.

Can you tell from your split if you were on track for a record lap?

First, thanks all, it was a shock, and reminded us all to live in the moment.
I never regret anything i do, just the things i never did

As for the "attempted" record run, it was scheduled for the next day, i was just out getting comfortable, on top of all i did forget to start DL1 and Video4.
But i think i had a pretty good pace in, the speed i carried through most of the tricky curves where ALOT faster than any previous years.
But hey, have to do it first, remember video and logging, then show it to my Porsche friends

We just finalized complete check up of engine today and it seems to have survived with the scare.
Seems like i had oil pressure until shut down, engine started puking out oil, before tank was empty.
There was no visual trace of metal in oil or in oil pan, oil filter get examined tomorrow, and oil is sendt to lab for analyze.
Got the dry sump pulley aligned and secured with the 5 set screws that apparently was not tighten from delivery of engine.
filled here up with fresh fluids, and 48 psi on startup.
Now i am back to 35 psi idle warm and 48 psi at max rpm.

regards
Rune
Old 08-15-2010, 11:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

All the best on your next attempt.

Double ck the recorder.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend Arve. The best thing you can do is make sure his son knows who his father was. I lost my father at 5 and his friends filled in on the father/son events while I was growing up (always telling me things about him). I am now 37 and very appreciative of this, as they are still a big part of my life.

Good luck on your next attempt, I look forward to the video.

One question, are you not running a stock oil pump along with the additional pump?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:24 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn man sorry to hear about your friend and then major car problems does not help that out any more either
Old 08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Sorry to hear about your friend Arve. The best thing you can do is make sure his son knows who his father was. I lost my father at 5 and his friends filled in on the father/son events while I was growing up (always telling me things about him). I am now 37 and very appreciative of this, as they are still a big part of my life.

Good luck on your next attempt, I look forward to the video.

One question, are you not running a stock oil pump along with the additional pump?
Thanks, we will try and involve us as much as Heidi will allow us, she is not as fond of cars and racing, but Arve was so she might let us

I am running stock LS2 pump and then Stage 3 Katech dry sump.

regards
Rune
Old 08-17-2010, 08:03 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Nurburgring Catastrophe, well almost

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nurburgring Catastrophe, well almost