Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Ever Been Stuck Behind a 1,200 HP Car Before on a Road Course?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Anyone Ever Been Stuck Behind a 1,200 HP Car Before on a Road Course?

In all fairness this was obviously the guy's first time at Sebring so I get that. When I go to a new track for the first time I usually try to find a local who knows the track and can show me around. I figure it will save me days trying to figure it out myself. Another approach I guess is to make sure you don't let anyone by because.......well actually I don't know why. Anyway, this is a 1,200 HP Scion at the first practice session of the Redline Time Attack event at Sebring this weekend. Was fun to watch it rocket down the straights but had to be careful not to rear end him. Never met the driver and I'm sure he's a cool guy. Incidentally, my car has over 600 HP and was totally left for dead on the straights. Pretty entertaining. Recorded in 720 HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD9wEZIdIn8
Old 08-15-2010, 09:14 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

marked for later as I can't view at work...

1,200 HP Scion seriously??
Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Its clear he had no idea where he was going. Im surprised you just didnt hot pit and create some room for yourself
Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'd think he'd have let you by so he could learn the lines. He could have always caught you on the straights later....
Old 08-15-2010, 09:31 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Its clear he had no idea where he was going. Im surprised you just didnt hot pit and create some room for yourself
It's not every day you get to see a 1,200 HP car on a road course. I wasn't about to give up a front row seat!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 AM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like Chris Rado's car. Ran a 1:26 in the FWD version at Road Atlanta last week. Let us know what he ends up with there.

http://www.world-racing.com/
Old 08-15-2010, 09:40 AM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a WING on his nose... wow

He had straight away speed but no down force on the front for the turns...
I guess the front wing was not helpful .

Why....
Old 08-15-2010, 09:49 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TedDBere
You'd think he'd have let you by so he could learn the lines. He could have always caught you on the straights later....
That's exactly what I was thinking the whole time.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by tomc8at

Why....
FWD.

They talked about his car this month in Grassroots Motorsports.

Pretty impressive straight line speed.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike,

Redline Time Attack -- help me out, is the idea to:

1) Avoid anything that looks like curbing?
2) Drive in the middle of the track as much as possible?
3) Check emails while going through the turns?

Looked like he was pulling up to a drive-through Starbucks in 17.

Learning the track or not, he should have followed you once it was clear you were on his bumper in every single turn. My guess is you could have passed him in the slower parts of the course and check out, but playing cat and mouse is surely fun, and you're usually the cat!

Is this the guy in the Trackday Comedy video?

Love the HD but miss your 2 camera front/rear video.

Nice job being a gentleman out there. Looks like the guy missed the turn off for the drag strip.

Mike
Old 08-15-2010, 10:35 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Mike,

Redline Time Attack -- help me out, is the idea to:

1) Avoid anything that looks like curbing?
2) Drive in the middle of the track as much as possible?
3) Check emails while going through the turns?

Looked like he was pulling up to a drive-through Starbucks in 17.

Learning the track or not, he should have followed you once it was clear you were on his bumper in every single turn. My guess is you could have passed him in the slower parts of the course and check out, but playing cat and mouse is surely fun, and you're usually the cat!

Is this the guy in the Trackday Comedy video?

Love the HD but miss your 2 camera front/rear video.

Nice job being a gentleman out there. Looks like the guy missed the turn off for the drag strip.

Mike
It was just fun watching that thing accelerate down the straights. I kept thinking there was something wrong with my car. I actually had the impression while driving behind him that he had no idea I was even there. Yes, I think he had time to grab an espresso at the end of the back straight and still end up ahead of me on the front straight and yes, I'm sure he thought if he let me by I would burst into flames!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 AM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc8at

Why....
Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Wasserott
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Complete arrogance and I hope he finds this post...it should thoroughly embarrass/humble him.

"Looks like the guy missed the turn off for the drag strip."
Old 08-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how does the Redline Time Attack event work? Can you participate only in the Saturday practice or do you need to be entered in the Sunday Redline Time Attack(with their classing rules) to be able to run with them on Saturday. Cool video.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:51 AM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

World Racing is here debuting their all new, incredibly engineered all-wheel drive Super Modified class time attack Scion tC and of course their famous dual winged Super Modified front-wheel drive Scion tC. This is essentially the first event for the highly anticipated all-wheel drive car, but unfortunately the team could not get it out onto the track today. Rado did get a chance to take out the front-wheel drive beast, but unfortunately was plagued with some major brake issues. Regardless, Rado posted the 3rd fastest time of the day with a 2:21.532.

http://redlinetimeattack.com/ti/rl/c...ml?id=JNegeAG5
Old 08-15-2010, 11:52 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Once he gets things figured out a bit he is much faster in the turns than that usually but he could make much quicker lap times if he kept his foot off the go pedal a bit more!

I also have a Scion tC TA car and have ran a Redline event, finished second in class, would of won but blew 5 holes in the block during the second days warm up session. (reflashed stock ECU fighting with the piggy back was the culpret)

Manifold I designed and built, hybrid twin scroll with a single waste gate to save weight(split runner going right up to the valve, my idea, that part will be interesting to see how it works in testing)

TC, custom coilovers, sways, LSD, clutch, flywheel, mounts, etc....not much off the shelf on this car.

I only had 250 WHP but the chassis is very well sorted out and I have shocked quite a few with how quick the car is in the turns. One day I will finish the turbo build I started, GT3076R, twin scroll, huge IC, etc....and get the car back out a bit with 350 WHP on pump gas and stock internals. If I build the engine it will easily do 550WHP, reliably, on pump gas and I know this as fact, been done very very successfully. But, I do not want 550WHP, in fact I just want to sell the car but no takers I would let have it(ricers not allowed, this is not a ricer car, it is very well built and sorted out)

I started this car in 05 and have never really finished it since I moved twice then highly modified a Forester, bought my first, then second Vette, just not as much fun in a FWD though they can be a handful and entertaining in that way.

Forester with 10.5 wheels and 305 tires, for autocross, for the track I ran 9.5 and 285 to tuck them into the fenders out of the air. $30k in brakes, suspension and bolt ons under the hood, it was pretty fast

I came very close to putting my LS6 in the back seat of the tc, if I do not find a buyer I might just do that someday

Though a race car I could license it and it has a 15 sub that does 138.4 db on music, crystal clear with no distortion. I never raced it with the sub installed so have to do that at least once

Anyway, that Scion is a bit nuts and was and is a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$$$to build and run, (fuelie that it is

I have heard they are working on a AWD version, the chassis has to be pretty stock by the rules and it was an AWD platform by design so not that hard to do.

Rick

Last edited by RAAMaudio; 08-15-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:14 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
So how does the Redline Time Attack event work? Can you participate only in the Saturday practice or do you need to be entered in the Sunday Redline Time Attack(with their classing rules) to be able to run with them on Saturday. Cool video.
I've never really looked at it, but looking at the 4 classes they offer, you can only run R comp tires in the highest unlimited class. The first 3 classes have to run 140 treadwear street tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Ever Been Stuck Behind a 1,200 HP Car Before on a Road Course?

Old 08-15-2010, 01:52 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new AWD scion?
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...k-extreme.aspx
Old 08-15-2010, 02:10 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe his front wing is too small

Randy
Old 08-15-2010, 02:33 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

LOL I dont care how much the front wings help it is still

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Been Stuck Behind a 1,200 HP Car Before on a Road Course?