Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered GT2 coilovers for my C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:38 AM
QUIKSILVERZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered GT2 coilovers for my C5Z

Just ordered a set of LG GT2 coilovers for my C5Z from ECS! Chris/ECS as always was a great help and i look forward to getting them here and installed. My car is a cam/bolt-on (ECS N/A CAM) car that makes 428rwhp/365rwtq with peak power near 6800 rpm. Look forward to getting it out to an open track event maybe in the fall.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

** IMPORTANT **

Please check your rear coilovers when you receive them to ensure you have the longer shock body design. LG revised their original design - did you know that? - which had a much shorter shock body in the rear that caused me problems on the road course.

I apparently received a set from their "initial batch", which later cost me $850 to have them removed, shipped, (free exchange), re-installed and car realigned and corner balanced - not to mention my weekend at VIR, but I did get a $250 in store credit.

** IMPORTANT **
Old 08-17-2010, 02:51 PM
QUIKSILVERZ
Burning Brakes

can you give me any specs on your new rear coilovers? like length? thanks for the heads up
Old 08-17-2010, 03:08 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

There were only a handful that had the shorter rear shocks, everything since then has had the longer shocks for those waiting to run the cars at a higher setting.

AlohaC5's issue, I think, was in setup and to much pre-load on the rear spring after looking at the shop. At any rate, yes we did replace his at no cost to him from us. Both were tested street and track on Lou's cars.

If anyone has any questions at all, please do not hesitate to call, email, or PM me with any questions, concerns, or thoughts. Always glad to help in any way I can.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
QUIKSILVERZ
Burning Brakes

My kit is out of the shipment ECS got a few weeks ago.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM
jmorgan07z06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The GT2's are great!
Old 08-17-2010, 03:38 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I must have the short shocks in my G2 coilovers (not GT2) that I bought earlier this year. I love the coilovers and my car handles great, but I'm concerned about how low my car is riding. My exhaust scrapes the pavement at Laguna Seca and anywhere there is a bump or serious dip. I have preloaded the springs quite a bit to raise the car, but it still rides VERY low.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:05 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by redtopz
I must have the short shocks in my G2 coilovers (not GT2) that I bought earlier this year. I love the coilovers and my car handles great, but I'm concerned about how low my car is riding. My exhaust scrapes the pavement at Laguna Seca and anywhere there is a bump or serious dip. I have preloaded the springs quite a bit to raise the car, but it still rides VERY low.
I would look at the actual shock length at the body, and we can adjust it from there.

Give me a call here at the shop or shoot me a PM. 972-429-1963
Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have them and they are unFRICKINbelievable. Another note about inspection, make sure that the actual ***** are on TIGHT for the rear adjusters. Mine came off in my hand the first time I went to adjust the shocks. I haven't fixed it yet because I will have to drop the whole corner to do so. I have since talked to three different people that have had the same issue.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

The overall length of the short shock body version measured 16.0" or 16.5" from tip to tip (shock mount to end of the fork), while the longer shock body measured 18.0" or 18.5". The preload was not an issue. You could see actually where the rear springs compressed and binding by the marks they left on the springs from the contact, which is very unusual. Now that I have the longer shock spring - they work great. The fact that their initial batch were 2" shorter, which is significant, was never released by LG - so, you had to find out for yourself and deal with the situation as it came.... as a note, these were mounted on a 2004 C5 that was not lowered much. Redtopz - I had a similar problem whenever my car hit a bump or dip and compressed the suspension, I would hear a clunk, but now its fixed with the longer shock body.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 08-17-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
At any rate, yes we did replace his at no cost to him from us.
No offense, but it doesn't sound like it was at no cost to him. It sounds like it cost him $850 plus shipping and the price of a wasted track day for your mistake. Is this the way you would want to be treated if you were him?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
No offense, but it doesn't sound like it was at no cost to him. It sounds like it cost him $850 plus shipping and the price of a wasted track day for your mistake. Is this the way you would want to be treated if you were him?
Welcome to the world of modifying cars. NO vendor/manufacturer will typically cover labor. At least it was something simple like suspension and not a clutch or motor in which case i have had to pull both due to mfg issues where only the parts were covered.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Welcome to the world of modifying cars. NO vendor/manufacturer will typically cover labor. At least it was something simple like suspension and not a clutch or motor in which case i have had to pull both due to mfg issues where only the parts were covered.
My issue is one of simple "Quality Control" before shipping an order to a customer. LG knew they manufactured a version that was 2" shorter and 'could potentially' cause an issue, especially for those of us that drive on a road course. It's an excellent product, just poor sales/service.

LG should have checked the coilovers to ensure they were the longer (revised) version - there is a reason why they no longer offer the short version. It would have saved me money, time and effort. Ask what happens when you hit a bump or dip at speed with a compressed spring.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by doje
I have them and they are unFRICKINbelievable. Another note about inspection, make sure that the actual ***** are on TIGHT for the rear adjusters. Mine came off in my hand the first time I went to adjust the shocks. I haven't fixed it yet because I will have to drop the whole corner to do so. I have since talked to three different people that have had the same issue.
That is another known issue with the G2 adjustable coilovers. The adjustable **** and cable on the rear coilovers. The **** will simply twist right off because (1) the cable is often bent over creating tension so you can access it for adjusting, and (2) the **** screw simply pinches the coiled cable inside the tube - unravels in one direction or tightens/binds in the other direction. I drilled two holes in my trunk so the cables would extend straight to eleviate tension so they would turn freely without issue.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 08-17-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
That is another known issue with the G2 adjustable coilovers. The adjustable **** and cable on the rear coilovers. The **** will simply twist right off because (1) the cable is often bent over creating tension so you can access it for adjusting, and (2) the **** screw simply pinches the coiled cable inside the tube - unravels in one direction or tightens/binds in the other direction. I drilled two holes in my trunk so the cables would extend straight to eleviate tension so it would turn freely without issue.
That's what I plan on doing myself.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:39 PM
QUIKSILVERZ
Burning Brakes

thanks for the info guys
Old 08-18-2010, 06:45 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not disagreeing with you on what should happen, i am just stating it is common that mfg'ers don't ever cover labor even if their product is at fault. It is sort of the risk of modding. Believe me, quality control of parts is 99% better for vettes than the import world where cheap parts are king.

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
My issue is one of simple "Quality Control" before shipping an order to a customer. LG knew they manufactured a version that was 2" shorter and 'could potentially' cause an issue, especially for those of us that drive on a road course. It's an excellent product, just poor sales/service.

LG should have checked the coilovers to ensure they were the longer (revised) version - there is a reason why they no longer offer the short version. It would have saved me money, time and effort. Ask what happens when you hit a bump or dip at speed with a compressed spring.

Get notified of new replies

To Just ordered GT2 coilovers for my C5Z

Old 08-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Believe me, quality control of parts is 99% better for vettes than the import world where cheap parts are king.
There is nothing "cheap" about a $2,000 set of coilovers from a shop that has a reputation for road racing and uses the products they sell vs. cheap import parts. We should expect more from the Corvette aftermarket community. I'm 99% happy with most of the aftermarket parts that I've installed on my Corvette over the past 6 years. However, I believe vendors that make up the 1% are those with questionable sales or service that sell headers that leak or have defective welds on the air tube, or new coilovers that were immediately revised after selling to the public, and have adjusters that are problematic. I'm just saying, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." So....
Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dfinke23

And that cost was not brought up to me at any point until everything was done. There was no chance to review, or approve anything before hand. I did not have a clear view of what was going on from the shop, so I offered a replacement for those incase something was damaged so he was not out any money or down time.

Again, I had this same set on Lou's car, both on track and on the street with none of the issues that he listed. This was not an un-proven design. We did update the shocks as time goes on just to improve the amount of adjustment they have. Same as the C6 is a natural evolution of the C5.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
And that cost was not brought up to me at any point until everything was done. There was no chance to review, or approve anything before hand. I did not have a clear view of what was going on from the shop, so I offered a replacement for those incase something was damaged so he was not out any money or down time.
NOT True! The following correspondence took place before the issue was finally resolved with your shop, and the technicians at FunKtion Auto were on the phone with you and Bobby regarding this problem (measurements, photos, etc.) before the new longer coilovers were shipped. It took two phone calls before your team admitted there was a redesign of these coilovers. We even tried to lower the car to make them work, but couldn't without causing problems. Chances are that many that only drive their vette on the street *may* not have an issue, but those of us that push our cars on a road course in a performance environment - the purpose of using coilovers in the first place - could and did.

Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 10:41 AM

To: Higgins, Mike; bobby@lgmotorsports.com
Cc: 'Lou gigliotti'
Subject: ** LGM GT2 Adj. Coilovers: Shipping and Installation Expenses for replacing defective parts**

Mike,

It wasn't a faulty product. These were designed to lower the car and remove droop from the car. I have customers still running the first design without problem. Those wanting to run the car at stock height, did need a longer shock which came up after the first few sets were released thus causing us to change the length of the body of the shock. It wasn't faulty, it just did not cover every aspect at the time as most are going to lower the car.

Lou had them on his Z06 for months before we released these to the public and as far as I am aware never had any binding issues. If there was so much spring pre-load in them, then yes I could see the unit going into coil bind.

I can not make the call to send any money to you, but I will talk to Lou about it today and see what he says.

Anthony

Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 7:37 AM

To: anthony@lgmotorsports.com; bobby@lgmotorsports.com
Subject: LGM GT2 Adj. Coilovers: Shipping and Installation Expenses for replacing defective parts
Importance: High
Anthony and Bobby,

I appreciate your shop shipping me a new set of rear GT2 adjustable coilovers with the longer shock bodies at no charge. However, the problem I experienced with this faulty designed product (initial batch) required me to remove, UPS ship and reinstall them along with having a new wheel alignment and corner balance done for my track car. If you have any questions, please contact Dan at FunKtion Auto in Sterling, VA 703-544-0015. He said he would be happy to answer any questions about this matter.

LGM should have ensured the coilovers shipped to me (and other customers) did not include the shorter shock bodies as originally designed in the initial batch of these new products, which has since been updated and corrected according to Bobby – it was a 2” difference, which is significant.

(1) Remove and re-install rear Coilovers: $267.50
(2) Alignment and Corner Balance: $428.00
(3) UPS shipping overnight to LGM: $109.50

Total expenses incurred because of faulty product shipped by LGM: $805.00.

I’m not including the additional expenses I incurred for the two day HPDE session at VIR Grand Course, which was approx. $600.00, since I wasn’t able to use my Corvette as planned because of the rear shock springs binding on the road course in 4 different areas of the circuit when the suspension compressed, which created a significant safety hazard for me on the road course.

I’ve kept this problem off the Corvette forums; choosing to work these issues, via phone and email, in a professional manner to resolve this issue with LGM. I know LGM will do the right thing here. I have to admit I’m surprised I had this problem with an LGM product, which includes the adjuster **** connected to a cable spring that falls off, since I watch you guys race and know you “test” your products before selling them to us.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 08-18-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Just ordered GT2 coilovers for my C5Z