Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye to the Roval at TMS

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 02:38 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Goodbye to the Roval at TMS

Got the email this morning:

ROVAL is cancelled by TMS for September 10, 2010
Dear Roval Participant:

Texas Motor Speedway has instituted new requirements regarding all high-performance cars on the 1.5 mile OVAL and 2.3 mile ROVAL.
(This does NOT apply to the 1.0 mile Infield Road Course).

All vehicles running "at speed" (greater than 70 mph), will be required to have a full roll cage and safety harness to participate in any OVAL or ROVAL track events at TMS. This protocol will apply to ALL events at TMS.
Since our Roval events have always allowed "street cars", this news obviously affects our upcoming ROVAL event, scheduled for September 10, 2010. Unfortunately, because the majority of the participants run "street cars", we will be cancelling this event. For those of you that have already paid, we will be contacting you and getting your direction on a refund or signing up for the next stop on our "Texas Tour"!

The response (over-reaction?) to the older gentleman being killed out there earlier this year, no doubt. Man am I glad I made it out there last year. Hitting 130 on the front straight, working the big banked turn at the limits, that was nice. This will suck for the Corvette Classic as well, as (at least it seemed to me) the standard speed for our "parade" laps was 90-100. The Make-A-Wish kids really enjoyed that as well. Hopefully we'll still at least get to go around.

I guess there is always Texas World.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:09 PM
C6MagRed
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Got this same email earlier..... Guess no more Drivers Edge or TDE Roval at TMS..... Laps for Charity rides will suck if you have to stay under 70 also.....

Kinda strange because the death at TMS was in a track oriented C5 with harnesses driven by an instructor.... Hit the wall and didn't roll over or otherwise compromise structure...
Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow, that truly stinks. At Pocono (similar situation - banked tri-oval with infield) I get up to about 145 on the straight going into NASCAR turn 1. The C6 Z06's hit ~160+. I sure hope the owners of Pocono and other high speed tracks don't start implementing similar policies.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This is surely a response due to insurance - whether a cage would've prevented the unfortunate fatality or not.

Is there a cushioned wall (SAFER) there? If not, that would've made a lot more sense vs. forcing caged cars. More expense for the track, but my understanding is that it would actually be safer.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
Wow, that truly stinks. At Pocono (similar situation - banked tri-oval with infield) I get up to about 145 on the straight going into NASCAR turn 1. The C6 Z06's hit ~160+. I sure hope the owners of Pocono and other high speed tracks don't start implementing similar policies.
C5 can hit 165 too well tat is on Long Pond straight front straight is 157.

This will be the wave of the future. I think all these high speed events will be caged cars only and others for street cars will be at best 120 mph.

This is like the thread I started Race car speeds in street cars or what ever it was. All insurance driven and I bet the cost of events rises also.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-26-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:25 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
This is surely a response due to insurance - whether a cage would've prevented the unfortunate fatality or not.

Is there a cushioned wall (SAFER) there? If not, that would've made a lot more sense vs. forcing caged cars. More expense for the track, but my understanding is that it would actually be safer.
Texas Motor speedway is a NASCAR track so it does have a safer barrier. All NASCAR tracks have them in place (at least on the outside wall) except the road courses.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Hate to see that happen but I guess it was inevitable.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:05 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,391 Likes on 744 Posts

Cage wouldn't have made any difference in the death at TMS; that accident impacted on the driver's side, which is why the driver suffered such extensive head injuries. The passenger side was untouched.

Not surprised at the move, though.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-30-2010, 10:30 PM
saibel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any word on how this effects the Corvette classic in May?

This is unfortunate in many many ways. Ultimately mostly for the families involved. God bless you all.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettehardt
All NASCAR tracks have them in place (at least on the outside wall) except the road courses.
They do set up SAFER barriers on the road courses in strategic locations when NASCAR is in town. They're not permanent setups (at least they weren't a few years ago), but they do put them up. A lot of times you can't see them on TV because of where they're located.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,391 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by saibel
Any word on how this effects the Corvette classic in May?

This is unfortunate in many many ways. Ultimately mostly for the families involved. God bless you all.
I think the infield autocross will remain as is. The laps on the oval will be significantly more speed-limited than in the past. Roval lapping will probably be a no-deal.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:22 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

This is a tough situation from the tracks point of view, I can understand the liability. I agree that these kind of safety requirements may start being implemented at more and more tracks. And maybe they should be.
But I also understand that this will decrease participation numbers as well, so thats not good for the tracks or event hosts financially.

Recently some of the members in our local Corvette Club went to their first HPDE at Nashville Motor Speedway after a couple of sessions some of them commented that they were amazed that they were being allowed to drive their cars at these kind of speeds and with other cars so close to them with nothing more than a helmet without getting in trouble.

Get notified of new replies

To Goodbye to the Roval at TMS

Quick Reply: Goodbye to the Roval at TMS