Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3/4" Toe-in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:39 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default 3/4" Toe-in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My rear tires last 3 times as long as my fronts. Street tires and track tires the same. The car tracks straight up to 140+ and seems to handle fine.

I borrowed a Longacre toe plate set and just measured 3/4" difference from front to rear! I did the alignment myself about 4 years ago or maybe more. Used a camber gauge to get about 2 degrees negative and then used fishing lines on jack stands to set toe at near zero. The rear alignment is whatever Bolling Green put on the car in 2002.

Is it possible to have 3/4" toe in and not have really poor turn in etc? I keep checking the plates, tire pressure tape measures and it seems to be the number.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

You mean the front and rear sides of the rear tires? Not quite sure what you meant.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:49 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Originally Posted by mgarfias
You mean the front and rear sides of the rear tires? Not quite sure what you meant.
The measurement at the front of the toe plate is 3/4" less than the rear.

The measuring tapes are 21 3/8" on center, so 3/8" per side trig's out to be a 1 degree angle.

I still can't believe that I set this wrong and have been driving on it this way for years.

Last edited by UstaB-GS549; 08-26-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:35 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow. That's just crazy. I can't imagine that you wouldn't feel that. 3/4 is huge.
The good news is you now know what you need to do to get faster
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3/4 cant be correct . It would tear any tire up in a few hunded miles. I ran with 5/16 toe in for 70 miles and it showed wear .
Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob31
3/4 cant be correct . It would tear any tire up in a few hunded miles. I ran with 5/16 toe in for 70 miles and it showed wear .
3/4" you should see with the naked eye
Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

he says the fronts wear out much quicker, so I bet he's right. Try and get them close to zero, and see what happens. Having that much toe IN in the front certainly is hurting you, as the inside tires are fighting you in every corner, plus you are burning them up going straight!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

On your post it was hard to decifer if your doing the front or rear ...My bad the front
1/16-1/8 toe out in the front
3/4 toe in is nuts . I mean really fn nuts .
0 -1/16 TOE IN the rear .

Are you from Darien < Like north of Woodstock Darien ?? Same town ?

Did you roll the car back / forth after the adustment .
Thrust angle ??
Spend the 80- bucks and get -it aligned
Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Naw, don't spend the $80. Learn to do it yourself. And I thought he was talking rear tires as well. Knowing that its the front tires, then the rear tire life makes a lot more sense.

I've a friend who accidently had 3/4" on the front, said it didn't behave as expected, it was touchy and weird, so he came in to check it.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Naw, don't spend the $80. Learn to do it yourself....
It really is simple to do yourself and then you can check it whenever you want. When YOU do your own alignment, then you get whatever settings you want and you know they are accurate. The alignment shop printout might show the settings you asked for, but is their machine properly calibrated?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:55 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hardest part is finding a level spot... it doesn't take much to throw things off a bit.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:03 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

All: its the front tires on 02 Z06

Rob31: Darien, IL not Darien, WI. 25 miles straight west of Chicago.

John: I can see 2 degrees negative camber, but for some reason the body shape masks the 1 degree toe in angle.

I'm going to try to set toe to Zero to maybe 1/16" toe out. I'm also going to check my fishing line system against the borrowed toe plates.

4 wood "jack stands" with saddle at centerline of wheel. 2 PVC pipes with holes match drilled thru the ends. Pipes are a bit longer than body width. Pipes on jack stands and fishing line thru holes. Jack stands about 5 feet past both ends of the car. Fiddle with pipes to get strings parallel with car centerline. Measure from strings to rim at front and rear to get toe.

Maybe I did something stupid like making tie rod adjustments and not rechecking result.

My race tires usually show cords evenly across tread. If the outside had been wearing much faster than the inside, I might have suspected massive toe-in.

From past experience, 3/8" toe out coupled with 2 degrees negative camber gives great turn in, but also affects high speed stability as well as wearing out the inside of the tire first.

I bet I get nominated for Dumbass of the Year for this one.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I read the title I thought this was your way of starting a thread about an off w/front end damage.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

I set my toe with a tram guage , Body repair tech by trade .
Camber /Caster I use an Intercomp guage
Lately I have been setting the C4 on wheel dollies so I dont have to roll the thing back & forth .
Thrust angle ,I use a lazer level facing two rulers set on the front wheels .
Id lose the wood jack stands ,probably binding in there

I was thinking if someone was having trouble measuring toe then the 80 bucks would be a deal .
Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

I reset the toe to 1/8" total toe out in front. It was a lot easier than I expected. I drove up on my 4.5" tall mini ramps and that was enough to reach the tie rods and make adjustments.

I used David Farmer's rule: 3 flats = 1/16", turned the ends out 9 flats and nailed it at zero toe the first try. I gave it another flat for a little toe out.

Driving to Autobahn this morning did not feel any different with my revised alignment other that it seems to track a little to the right on flat highway. I may have to make a tiny correction.

On track today, the car felt fine. I was hoping for a huge difference, but it didn't happen. Last year my best time on the South course was a 1:35 & today I was 1:38. Oh well.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:50 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you setting your toe with the tires on the ground? If so, roll the car back about 10 feet, then roll it back where you had it and check your toe again. I think you will find you have a differant number. Suspension changes should be made on turn plates, not the ground. Our shop is in Plainfield, IL, give us a call if you would like some help with your setup.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631
Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I reset the toe to 1/8" total toe out in front. It was a lot easier than I expected. I drove up on my 4.5" tall mini ramps and that was enough to reach the tie rods and make adjustments.

I used David Farmer's rule: 3 flats = 1/16", turned the ends out 9 flats and nailed it at zero toe the first try. I gave it another flat for a little toe out.

Driving to Autobahn this morning did not feel any different with my revised alignment other that it seems to track a little to the right on flat highway. I may have to make a tiny correction.

On track today, the car felt fine. I was hoping for a huge difference, but it didn't happen. Last year my best time on the South course was a 1:35 & today I was 1:38. Oh well.
Did you adjust one side or both ?

Get notified of new replies

To 3/4" Toe-in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Robert:

Yes, I did roll car after adjusting. Maybe not 10 feet, but more like 3-4. I think I will borrow toe plates and check it again. The car felt good at Autobahn yesterday, but then it always does.

Rob 31:

I did both sides. 3/4" divided by two (front to back on toe plate) and divided by two again for both sides is how I got 3/16" adjustment, which is about 9 flats or 1.5 revolutions of tie rod.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:39 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I drove up on my 4.5" tall mini ramps and that was enough to reach the tie rods and make adjustments.
Front and rear on the same height and the car was as close to completely level as possible? I find after any changes the car is best rolled a fair distance, or at least jump up and down on the door sill to try to get it to settle. After all my efforts I watched a local shop do it on grease-plates and you could really see just how far things slide as you mess with the alignment.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:37 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Front and rear on the same height and the car was as close to completely level as possible? I find after any changes the car is best rolled a fair distance, or at least jump up and down on the door sill to try to get it to settle. After all my efforts I watched a local shop do it on grease-plates and you could really see just how far things slide as you mess with the alignment.
The car sits high for a little while after jacking it up to change tires too.

Quick Reply: 3/4" Toe-in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!