Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-1 @ Spa this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
I've really grown to dislike Vettle...blazing fast but prone to crash...and take others out with him.
....I pretty much pull for everyone with the exception of him and Alonso.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:59 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
....I pretty much pull for everyone with the exception of him and Alonso.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I got excited when I saw Button and Hamilton 1-2, so we could finally see them mix it up a bit (and show Vettel how to properly race between teammates). That lasted about a half a lap until they announced Button had damage.
Button deserves a little credit for helping Hamilton get out as much as he did (gave him enough cushion to survive going off). For Button to keep the other guys back as long as he did with a car that was pushing was pretty impressive.

Also deserving of some attention is Kubica (Hamilton thinks Kubica is the best out there). He is coming right along.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

On the broadcast here, word was that Vettle's crew came out
of the garage, folded their arms and stared at him as he fulfilled
his drive-though.

Originally Posted by argonaut
"I'm sure Vettel will be worthy of like praise in the future ...".
Vettel? Becoming more Hamilton/Webber/Button-like?

I'll take odds against that eventuality.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
On the broadcast here, word was that Vettle's crew came out of the garage, folded their arms and stared at him as he fulfilled his drive-though.
I wouldn't be surprised as his rash acts are going to cost those mechanics some serious year-end bonus money.

Vettel? Becoming more Hamilton/Webber/Button-like?
I'll take odds against that eventuality.
I'd give it 50/50. Vettel, like Hamilton, is a natural talent. But just having the driving talent is not enough. They all have that in F1 (well, most of them.) What's missing (or seems to be) for Vettel is someone to mentor him and bring him along; someone to teach him racecraft.

Don't forget that Hamilton was also very impetuous and overdrove a lot at the beginning of his F1 story. He would often throw away 7 points to roll the long shot for more. That's NOT how you win world championships in a competitive season. Now he's cooled down and look who's leading the championship through consistancy

Z//
Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
What's missing (or seems to be) for Vettel is someone to mentor
him and bring him along; someone to teach him racecraft.
With Red Bull team principal Christian Horner and others stroking
Vettel as occurred following the Webber incident in Turkey this May,
I don't hold much hope for Mr Vettel receiving a reality check from
anyone with influence there at Red Bull.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
With Red Bull team principal Christian Horner and others stroking Vettel as occurred following the Webber incident in Turkey this May, I don't hold much hope for Mr Vettel receiving a reality check from anyone with influence there at Red Bull.
I agree. It seems to me that Horner is kind of at the mercy of the Mateschitz/Marko pair with Marko whispering "ideas" in Mateschitz' ear.

Marko is the reason for both Scott Speed and Sebastian Bourdais being ousted from the RB teams - they refused to take his crap and play his game. More power to them.

Z//
Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Vettle and Webber have been going at it all year, and I think Mark needs to teach the kid a thing or two.
I'd say he already has.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:44 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Will someone get Schumi a new car soon! Nico's and his both can't keep up with the others.
Schumacher can ask for a new car when he starts besting his own team mate.

Points total after Spa:
Rosberg 102
Schumacher 44

Z//
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

Points total after Spa:
Rosberg 102
Schumacher 44

Z//
Oof, Oof, Ow, Ow, Ow!

I'm a Schumacher fan, but that summarizes it nicely! Although I thought MS drove a great race (including strategy) to come all the way from 21st to 7th. I'm looking forward to 2011, see if Mercedes can improve their car.

I hope Vettel does learn the racecraft he needs, he can sure hustle a car!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-31-2010, 06:24 PM
andrewjhaley
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vettel's errors, shortcomings, have not been managed well. People are focusing more on Vettel instead of management in Red Bull. Red Bull is stroking Vettel's ego. The upper brass is pushing off a veteran driver which is either a brilliant strategy for the championship, Webber NO 2 in points right now, or a young team unable to manage it's charismatic employee. Either way, the team has been self sacrificing with its goal to reach the championship and that is no way to grow a respected program. The "spearing" incident with Button was unforeseeable, but could have been prevented with more control that surrounds the ever weakening fragile Egg that is Vettel. Help this kid out, or help yourself before the team is scorned with a stigma.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Vettle and Webber have been going at it all year, and I think Mark needs to teach the kid a thing or two.

Will someone get Schumi a new car soon! Nico's and his both can't keep up with the others.
Shumi came back to develop the car, he knew it was a dog when he signed on. His stint is payback to his old chief engineer, helping him produce a winner. Well see if the magic is still there when you don't have 100% comittment by the engine manufacture. I think they hoped that Mercedes couldn't leave him in the cold.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Points total after Spa:
Rosberg 102
Schumacher 44

Z//
Man....no kindness at all

Point taken.....however he did start doing better once they changed to last year's chassis, and he was starting to do better than Rosberg....

Hopefully the team is sandbagging until next year? Maybe....
Old 08-31-2010, 07:17 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by grantar2
Shumi came back to develop the car, he knew it was a dog when he signed on. His stint is payback to his old chief engineer, helping him produce a winner. We'll see if the magic is still there when you don't have 100% commitment by the engine manufacture. I think they hoped that Mercedes couldn't leave him in the cold.
Mercedes is in for the long haul...there has been no further development of the Mercedes engine because there has been no finalized regulations for 2011 for the engines. Any money spent now could be a total waste if F1 decides to go another route.

His "points" total isn't as clear cut as it appears. Retirements, penalties by the stewards, tire/pit strategy...they all contribute to the tally. He's still a great driver, and has definitely worked to get the Mercedes chassis to a reasonable qualifying position. When he went to Ferrari they had an absolute dog of a car. It took them over a season to make the turn (more like 1.5)...I think he'll get them competitive...next year they'll have a good chance.

You don't honestly think that Mercedes is going to give McClaren a better engine than their own team, do you? They will all be equal...but the chassis is where the power gets put on the pavement.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:33 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Right now MS and Rosberg are having to go 52 yds in a 50 yd race, the Redbulls only have to go 48. I think Hamilton, Kubica, Button and Webber are getting the most out of their cars (in that order). Put any of the four in Vettel's car and they would be in the lead, by a lot.
The fact that Vettel has the absolute best car amplifies his failures (and his car is better than Webber's). In the car he has, his biggest advantage is that he can be patient. Last year Button was in his shoes for the first half of the season, and did his job (I remember him lapping Hamilton).
Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07

You don't honestly think that Mercedes is going to give McClaren a better engine than their own team, do you? They will all be equal...but the chassis is where the power gets put on the pavement.
Actually yes I do, failure of long term relationship such as the one with McClaren would be far more obvious and do much more damage internationally to the brand. Because the McClaren chassis is the more mature if there are 2 engines available at any time they will go to the team that has the chance to earn the most manufactures points. As for cost F-1 engine development is slower and less expensive now than in years past. In the past as late as 2005 it was not uncommon for the engine in the first race to have nothing in common with the engine at the last race other than cylinder count, displacement and brand. I have seen Ferrari and Honda engines that couldn't swap pistons or heads between races. So do I think a manufacture like Mercedes would spend. Yes, are they I don't know. I agree with you by the end of next year Team Mercedes will have it figured out. The difference between Shui and so many others is that he doesn't mind doing development work to breed dominance.

Last edited by grantar2; 09-01-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

McLaren.

As in Bruce McLaren.

Quick Reply: F-1 @ Spa this weekend.