Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone a pca member??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 03:25 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default anyone a pca member??

anyone join up with pca to save on the track fees if you run alot of events with them??
Old 08-29-2010, 03:40 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am, Derek. I'm a PCA member and a certified National PCA Instructor. They have been great to me with my Z06. Not stuck up and welcome all types of track cars. I've found the local regions to be car guys, not just Porsche guys (and girls). I'm even marrying one of my students!!!

In order to become a PCA member, you have to have a Porsche VIN number.

Steve

Last edited by SLandstra_Z06; 08-30-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
I am, Derek. I'm a PCA member and a certified National PCA Instructor. They have been great to me with my Z06. Not stuck up and we welcome all types of track cars. I've found the local regions to be car guys, not just Porsche guys (and girls). I'm even marrying one of my students!!!

In order to become a PCA member, you have to have a Porsche VIN number. You can just get one from any Porsche though. I got a VIN from a friend of mine who blew the engine on his and was selling it.

Steve
Hey Steve thanks for the info, i did find another thread where someone asked pretty much the same question and i figured the event i am going to i would save $55 by having a PCA membership and 1 year membership is only $42 so what the hell still saving $$ even if I only do this one event. Which I am sure i will run alot more PCA events now that i will know about them.

Last edited by dvandentop; 08-29-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PCA & BMWCCA events here in Northern California only accept those marques so far as I know. :-( I guess I can understand it, Santa Clara Corvettes runs Corvette-only autocrosses, too...
Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
I am, Derek. I'm a PCA member and a certified National PCA Instructor. They have been great to me with my Z06. Not stuck up and welcome all types of track cars. I've found the local regions to be car guys, not just Porsche guys (and girls). I'm even marrying one of my students!!!

In order to become a PCA member, you have to have a Porsche VIN number. You can just get one from any Porsche though. I got a VIN from a friend of mine who blew the engine on his and was selling it.

Steve
Steve are you shattenbaum. My brother and I have been running with them the last couple years. Cheap track time and very nice people.
Nando
Old 08-29-2010, 07:14 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Derek,
we run with them (and BMW guys) WITHOUT being a member.

And we pay the same event fee as everyone else at their events.

And there has been no mention of us HAVING to join their club.

And they also let any other marquee run too.

Gary
Old 08-29-2010, 08:21 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

hey gary, must depend on the area and if they charge more or not for members, heck i am sure some areas need the extra cars to help cover track cost etc.. or they would be losing $$ when renting a track
Old 08-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

13 year PCA member and Nationally Certified PCA Instructor

I didn't join the PCA to save on track fees; I joined to learn more about Porsches and the skills necessary to drive them effectively. Technically, membership in the PCA requires ownership/lease of a Porsche; however, the PCA's Quest program is good for six months and provides limited benefits.

http://www.pca.org/Membership/JoinPCA.aspx
Old 08-29-2010, 10:45 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am the chief driving instructor for the Oregon Region PCA. (Yes, I also own a Porsche, and this is considered a requirement for membership.)

But, we allow all marques at our track events and charge PCA members and non-members the same fees. I'd say we average 50% Porsches, 20-25% BMWs, 5-10% Elise/Exige, 5% vette, and 10-15% a mix of Subaru, Mitsu, Miata, Mustang, exotics, whatever.

In my experience, the higher population/higher income areas with large numbers of Porsches, like the SF bay area and New England, tend to limit participation to club members. A few years ago a buddy and I wanted to drive Lime Rock and had to pull some strings to be permitted to drive rental spec Miata race cars with the PCA clubs there even though we were both national PCA instructors and were unable to find Porsches to rent (even with all of the sponsoring clubs' connections).

Andy
Old 08-30-2010, 12:04 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by dvandentop
anyone join up with pca to save on the track fees if you run alot of events with them??
Wicked weasel and I ran with PCA Schttenbaum Thunderbolt for the unbelievable price of $160.00 for a one day. Two weeks ago, the weaser, myself and Rouge Wave ran the Glen with NNJR PCA for three days at $350.00. The events were safe, well run, on time fun and the porsche guys didn't mind getting beat up by some inferior domestic cars. Lots of great guys and gals. It seems these guys do it as a hobby, vs. as a business, so they seem not too interested in making a profit. They're more interested in having their members get track time at the most affordable prices. I used to run with PDA/SCDA/HOD, and others, but I'm trying to run with the PCA clubs a lot more.

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 08-30-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Funny, I was just inquiring a couple of days ago cause they have a track day I might want to attend. Very nice guy emailed me a couple of times answering my questions and saying I could attend. Plus I believe they have SIX - 25 minute sessions, which is the most I have ever seen

DH
Old 08-30-2010, 12:21 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Funny, I was just inquiring a couple of days ago cause they have a track day I might want to attend. Very nice guy emailed me a couple of times answering my questions and saying I could attend. Plus I believe they have SIX - 25 minute sessions, which is the most I have ever seen

DH

nice is it a multi day event? yeah 6 25min sessions is a good amount per day

i joined up if not just for cost of track fees but also get a free magazine etc.. and some other discounts else where so worth the $40 a year
Old 08-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dvandentop
nice is it a multi day event? yeah 6 25min sessions is a good amount per day

i joined up if not just for cost of track fees but also get a free magazine etc.. and some other discounts else where so worth the $40 a year
yes but they said I could do one day at a little more than 1/2 the cost of the 2 days. And would make it exactly 1/2 if they could find a driver for the second day. Like I said they seemed very nice. I will definitely attend one of their events the soon as one works into my schedule

*** Plus, I always drive better when there is a Porche up ahead

DH
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Plus I believe they have SIX - 25 minute sessions, which is the most I have ever seen
We do two 20s and four or five 25 minute sessions with TEAM Racing at their Thunderhill events... come on up! Open passing in the Advanced group, too.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gkmccready
We do two 20s and four or five 25 minute sessions with TEAM Racing at their Thunderhill events... come on up! Open passing in the Advanced group, too.
Thanks for the invite but I'm a home boy hate to stray that far .....

I just stick to Autoclub Speedway, Willow Springs and Button Willow

DH
Old 08-30-2010, 07:31 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I too am a PCA member and National Instructor. I only do an event every few years, but I've enjoyed the ones I've done. Locally, they charge instructors if you only have 1 student, but I think I've ended up with 2 for the events I've done, so there was no charge.

I've instructed for them for around 8 years, but I just finally did the National Certification this past May. It's nice to be able to sign up for nearly any PCA event without sending in credentials!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Funny. I was a PCA member for years (Potomac region) and let my membership lapse because they wouldn't allow non-Porsche's at their HPDEs and I preferred the vette to the P-car.

At an Audi even earlier this year I met their new competition chair and apparently they've changed that policy. They seemed like really nice folks. Guess I'll rejoin when I get a chance.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone a pca member??

Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Funny. I was a PCA member for years (Potomac region) and let my membership lapse because they wouldn't allow non-Porsche's at their HPDEs and I preferred the vette to the P-car.

At an Audi even earlier this year I met their new competition chair and apparently they've changed that policy. They seemed like really nice folks. Guess I'll rejoin when I get a chance.
I've instructed with the Potomac Region over several seasons, and the region has allowed other marques. Their "events are open to all marques; however, [they] will give preference to PCA members."

http://pcapotomac.us/

You're right: it's time to rejoin the PCA.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I too am a PCA member and National Instructor. I only do an event every few years, but I've enjoyed the ones I've done. Locally, they charge instructors if you only have 1 student, but I think I've ended up with 2 for the events I've done, so there was no charge.

I've instructed for them for around 8 years, but I just finally did the National Certification this past May. It's nice to be able to sign up for nearly any PCA event without sending in credentials!
I am a PCA member and National Cert PCA instructor - it is very nice to have a nationally recognized cert.

The events are normally cheap so instructing is no real advantage since most require you to pay in advance and if you get 1 or 2 students it goes down from full price.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:07 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I joined PCA Four years ago down in FLORIDA when a friend invited me to bring my Z to one of their events. Now I'm with SLandstra as one of several Vette owner members/instructors in the Risentoter Region . I do own a Porsche but I only track the Vette and other than some good-natured ribbing its never
been an issue with either region and in fact our chief instructor encourages us to recruit more participants regardless of what they drive.

Quick Reply: anyone a pca member??