Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

autocross shock tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:21 PM
waktasz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default autocross shock tuning

Currently running Koni singles at about 2/3 stiff up front, 1/3 stiff in rear. Car is very balanced, with a tendency toward understeer actually except when under power. I would like it to respond quicker in transitions. I Google shock tuning and the first thing I read on Bob Tunnel's guide is

3. Fix the end of the car that has the problem. If your car isn't turning in properly, don't adjust the rear of the car to try to make the front end work better. Conversely, if the car is extremely tail happy because of low rear grip, decreasing the front grip to compensate may make the car feel balanced, but it will ultimately make you slower. Often in Stock class autocrossing or road racing we're forced into adjusting the "wrong" end of the car because rules limit our ability to adjust properly, but these methods should be considered a last resort.

So that would suggest to turn the fronts up even MORE?

Clearly I suck at this, someone just tell me which knobby to turn in which direction and I'll try it.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run my front shocks at full stiff. The turn-in is very crisp, but you have to be careful when transitioning into braking, because the stuff compression damping can shock the front tires and prematurely put you into the ABS. STIFF front shocks are fast IF you're smooth too.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 PM
waktasz
Pro

The Koni singles are rebound adjustable only
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Maybe something here would help.

Richard Newton
Old 08-30-2010, 10:45 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by waktasz
The Koni singles are rebound adjustable only
Are you sure? Most single adjustable shocks adjust both compression and rebound damping together, so you're either stiffing the shock in both directions with a SINGLE adjustment, or you're softening.

The Koni singles I had on my C4 were compression and rebound damping both, just together.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:55 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
Are you sure? Most single adjustable shocks adjust both compression and rebound damping together, so you're either stiffing the shock in both directions with a SINGLE adjustment, or you're softening.
The 3013Sports I had on my C6 briefly where definitely rebound "mostly". Performance Shock at Infineon had me testing them and we ran them on the shock dyno with a few different sweeps on the adjuster. Very little bump change, large rebound.

The KONI singles in my RX7 are more like your C4, but still much greater range on the rebound than the bump side changes... I just figured they were older and had more "crosstalk" on the adjuster.

Pfadt, Tokico, KYB, etc do adjust both bump and rebound with the single adjuster...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer

The Koni singles I had on my C4 were compression and rebound damping both, just together.
All Koni sports are rebound only off the shelf. The only way to get compression adjustment out of them is to have them converted to doubles - and then you have two adjusters on the shock.

There is not a C4 Koni that does compression and rebound with one ****.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by waktasz
Currently running Koni singles at about 2/3 stiff up front, 1/3 stiff in rear. Car is very balanced, with a tendency toward understeer actually except when under power. I would like it to respond quicker in transitions. I Google shock tuning and the first thing I read on Bob Tunnel's guide is

So that would suggest to turn the fronts up even MORE?

Clearly I suck at this, someone just tell me which knobby to turn in which direction and I'll try it.
Yes, more front rebound will help in slaloms.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Roy
Instructor

I would think the first step would be to have your shocks dynoed just to see if they are all in the same ball park. Even new, the differences may dictate which corner of the car they should go on.

At least this way with the dyno numbers you will know exactly what the shocks are doing and at what settings.

Roy
Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

You can only do so much with shocks. They are not springs, and they aren't sway bars.

If you can't change bars and springs--you in Super Stock?--experiment with the front shocks, and be sure to try them also on softer settings. This may dial out your understeer, maybe at the expense of being more sluggish in slaloms. But try it both ways. See what makes you happiest. That's why God invented adjustable shocks.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:31 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2/3 stiff on the front Koni is pretty typical. You could try more than that but the car will likely lose ultimate grip at the expense of faster transitions.

A bigger front bar or more front tire pressue may help.

A Z06 on Koni singles can win nationals, and it will have some understeer.

Get notified of new replies

To autocross shock tuning

Quick Reply: autocross shock tuning