Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SKF bearing deal

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default SKF bearing deal

For month of September, for every SKF bearing you buy from us at our regular $380 price, you will get the bearing fastener kit free, a $35 value. This kit uses 12 point reduced head grade 12.9 (175, 000 PSI, made in USA) M12 cap screws, Nordlocs, and an M14 nut with Nordloc for the lower ball joint. The OE Torx head bolts loosen, and the head strips out. With these you use a standard 12mm 12 point socket and they allow proper torque for greater reliability and ease of assembly and removal. Can be used many times. This kit is compatible with brake duct kits that have a 1/8 thick flange.

To order, just go here and mention that you saw the bolt kit offer on Corvetteforum.com
http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=136

Last edited by ghoffman; 09-02-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:57 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary. What exactly are the benefits of this bearing as compared to stock?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks for asking! All the racers in T1 have these because the flanges are thicker and do not break off like the OE and they are much stiffer so the brake pad kickback is less in your calipers. It is a more durable bearing for track and street use. Here is the SKF flyer info:

Will Fit C5, C6 •Interchangeable from Front to Rear •ZR1 Technology •10 Micron Run-out •Increased Durability SKF manufactures the hub unit for the ultimate track Corvette, the new ZR1, and is offering the same technology to the C5 and C6 owner. The SKF Corvette Racing Hub unit is designed to provide high stiffness during cornering, thereby, reducing piston knock-back and the need to trail brake. It is also designed for durability and to maintain preload at sustained loading of 1.2+g! All this adds up to faster lap times and better driver feedback. If you have upgraded your Corvette’s performance and/or use it in any form of competition, you need these SKF hubs. You gain increased stiffness for better brake performance under high loads, higher preloads, <10micron run-out and much increased durability. Under race and competitive use, you may go an entire season without replacement. And they look cool with their black oxide casing. So improve your Corvette’s handling, brake performance, and hub durability with these new SKF Performance Hubs.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:39 PM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TGiuliante
Gary. What exactly are the benefits of this bearing as compared to stock?
You need these Tom
Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I talked to the engineer at SEMA last year that designed these and he told me that they are the ZR1 bearings with the splines to fit the standard/Z06 axles.

If you install the, this is a great time to install longer studs.

I have them and the Torx bolts are a real b$tch to remove...

Old 09-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Default Why not move to ZR1 bearings and axles

How do these compare in cost to OEM ZR1 hubs?

Are ZR1 axles bigger/stronger? Can I use ZR1 axles with a Grand Sport Differential or are the splines different at both ends of the axle?

Seems like if I am going to go to all the work to change out the hubs why not upgrade the axles at the same time?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I have them. I was advised to put some street miles on them before I go to the track.

Jim
Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
I have them. I was advised to put some street miles on them before I go to the track.

Jim
Why are they self lubricating?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Why are they self lubricating?
I was told by an SKF rep that they have very tight clearances and it is best to put some slower less loaded miles on them before you take your car to the track. They have had a failure or two.

Jim
Old 09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
I was told by an SKF rep that they have very tight clearances and it is best to put some slower less loaded miles on them before you take your car to the track. They have had a failure or two.

Jim
Good info . Wish I would have known that a few weeks ago .
Old 09-03-2010, 03:48 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Gary,

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but this is my understanding of the SKF hub bearings from a discussion I had with Ken Fegely, Business Engineer, Racing & Engineering Services, for SKF.

Ken told me that after Corvette switched the ABS system on the 2009-2011 models from a Delphi system to a Bosch system, the heavy duty hub bearing you show in the picture does not work on these 2009 and later models. The only solution for 2009 and later Z06's is to use the ZR-1 GM part with the correct harness connector, for the front of the car. The GM ZR-1 front hub is actually an SKF heavy duty hub bearing. The rear heavy duty hub bearing with the correct harness connector is not available for the 2009+ Z06's. The ZR-1 and Z06 have a different spline count, so the ZR-1 hub bearing can not be used on the 2009+ Z06. The only way to use the ZR-1 rear hub bearing on the 2009+ Z06 would be to also replace both half shafts with ZR-1 half shafts. Due to the low volumes of 2009+ Z06's on the road, SKF has chosen not to spend the money for the tooling to make the 2009+ version of the heavy duty rear hub bearing for the Z06.

Due to what I explained above, I have replaced my stock front hub bearings with ZR-1 front hub bearings and I have left the rears as stock.

I don't know how this affects non-Z06 Corvettes, but this is my understanding from my discussion with Ken Fegely. If this information is not correct, please correct my understanding with anything I have gotten wrong.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by SLandstra_Z06; 09-07-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:21 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Honestly, this is news to me. I will connect with some folks I know and will confirm or deny.

Last edited by ghoffman; 09-03-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:23 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
Gary,

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but this is my understanding of the SKF hub bearings from a discussion I had with Ken Fegely, Business Engineer, Racing & Engineering Services, for SKF.

Ken told me that after Corvette switched the ABS system on the 2009-2011 models from a Delphi system to a Bosch system, the heavy duty hub bearing you show in the picture does not work on these 2009 and later models. The only solution for 2009 and later Z06's is to use the ZR-1 GM part with the correct harness connector, for the front of the car. The GM ZR-1 front hub is actually an SKF heavy duty hub bearing. The rear heavy duty hub bearing with the correct harness connector is not available for the 2009+ Z06's. The ZR-1 and Z06 have a different spline count, so the ZR-1 hub bearing can not be used on the 2009+ Z06. The only way to use the ZR-1 rear hub bearing on the 2009+ Z06 would be to also replace both half shafts with ZR1 half shafts. Due to the low volumes of 2009+ Z06's on the road, SKF has chosen not to spend the money for the tooling to make the 2009+ version of the heavy duty rear hub bearing for the Z06.

Due to what I explained above, I have replaced my stock front hub bearings with ZR-1 front hub bearings and I have left the rears as stock.

I don't know how this affects non-Z06 Corvettes, but this is my understanding from my discussion with Ken Fegely. If this information is not correct, please correct my understanding with anything I have gotten wrong.

Thanks,

Steve
My contact told me that they would not work on 2009 models and up, but did not say why.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Honestly, this is news to me. I will connect with some folks I know and will conform or deny.
Gary,

I, too, would be very interested in what you learn.

Andy
Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

I'm very confident that the information I provided in my earlier e-mail was correct as of August last year. I sat at lunch with Ken Fegley and discussed my desire to install SKF heavy duty hub bearings on my 2009 Z06 and he told me exactly what I posted.

Now, we are a year later and things might have changed since then. At the least, there would be two different part numbers for the SKF bearings (one covering 2006-2008 and a second for 2009-2011 models). Let us know what you find out, Gary.

I would be very interested in buying rear SKF heavy duty hub bearings for my 2009 Z06 if they are available.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-11-2010, 08:58 PM
bobk469101
Advanced

Default bearings

so if i understand this correctly i can just order zr-1 front and rear bearings and they are a direct fitment for my 2008 z06? i can order any gm parts and get them at cost through a friend of mine that owns a big bodyshop . can anyone provide me what part numbers i need to order? thanks bob
Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by bobk469101
so if i understand this correctly i can just order zr-1 front and rear bearings and they are a direct fitment for my 2008 z06? i can order any gm parts and get them at cost through a friend of mine that owns a big bodyshop . can anyone provide me what part numbers i need to order? thanks bob
That is not correct. If you want SKF heavy duty wheel bearings for an '08 Z06, you need to order from Gary at Hardbar or one of the other Forum vendors. Since this thread is a Hardbar initiated thread, I suggest Gary. The ZR-1 bearings will only work on '09-'11 models, due to the different ABS system and wiring harness connectors.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To SKF bearing deal

Old 09-13-2010, 04:51 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Steve is correct;
"He is spot on about the years and models. *The one small technical correction, the incompatibility it is because of the Passive ABS (Delphi) and the Active ABS (Bosch) use a different sensor which is integral to the Bearing Hub Unit (actually use same connector). *To date only the GM ZR1 part has the active sensor built into the hub and it has a 33 tooth (larger) spline which doesn't matter for the front but would for the rear.
Also the Z06 and Gran Sport starting with Model year 2011 will also use the SKF ZR1 bearing (because they use the larger ZR1 half shafts). *
So the only applications we can't cover are the Z06, Gran Sport (and base models) from 2009 and 2010 for the rear wheels using their stock half shafts."

Old 09-13-2010, 07:51 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Steve is correct;
"He is spot on about the years and models. *The one small technical correction, the incompatibility it is because of the Passive ABS (Delphi) and the Active ABS (Bosch) use a different sensor which is integral to the Bearing Hub Unit (actually use same connector). *To date only the GM ZR1 part has the active sensor built into the hub and it has a 33 tooth (larger) spline which doesn't matter for the front but would for the rear.
Also the Z06 and Gran Sport starting with Model year 2011 will also use the SKF ZR1 bearing (because they use the larger ZR1 half shafts). *
So the only applications we can't cover are the Z06, Gran Sport (and base models) from 2009 and 2010 for the rear wheels using their stock half shafts."*
Gary, thanks for the clarification. I look forward to discussing suspension upgrade options with you in the near future.

Andy
Old 09-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just installed these on my 2008 z06, very nice. had to use an impact gun to get the bolts out of the hubs, wasnt too bad.. one got stuck, so my friend hit it with a torch and voila! came right out. i really think the stock bolts are good enough to hold the hub, they come with locktite preapplied and with 96 ft lbs of torque i doubt theyd move much

Quick Reply: SKF bearing deal