Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rotors... new pads for HPDEs a step up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:12 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rotors... new pads for HPDEs a step up?

Alright guys my road racing days and stock rotors are coming to the end of thier life. Id rather change them early to a good new set then have one break on me in a weekend. The track i have been running MotorSport Ranch in Cresson, TX isn't too bad on the brakes its only up to maybe 110 for my car on the straights. Stock C6 with Z51 package.

There are a few stress fractures but those aren't my worry.

I have been running the HP+ pads and while I think they are a good combo with my street tires i have been running, Firestone Firehawk WO Indy 500s (and had the RFTs on before), i am trying to figure out the next step. I don't wanna splurge for the ToyoR888s yet but I wouldn't mind making a step up in the brakes dept to prepare for that.

First when it comes to new rotors what does everyone use. Since i have the Z51 size I have to pay a premium but i accept that, more just wondering about brands and past experience people have had with them at the track.

A friend of mine in his NSX told me about http://www.cquence.net You can get a full set of slotted only for 519.23 shipped for the Z51. Nice deal and he said he heard a lot of good things from the Acura guys.

Another somewhat unknown is Centric. I think they get thier blanks from Stoptech the way Cquence said they did, i only see those in non-slotted. They run pretty cheap i think a full set would be $330+ shipping from KNS Brakes

DBA is another brand i came across for rotors. Seems to be geared towards a bit more performance. It would be nice to get the two piece rotor but i don't think thats necessary yet.

DBA4000 series slotted for the fronts (possibly the rears even though not necessary i am sure) would run $705.15 from tire rack and $763.65 from KNS Brakes. Ken was very helpful from KNS brakes and heard good things about him as well, might be willing to pay that premium for his information.

Since i am not blowing my wallet on the 2-piece yet and everything seems about $800 and down for a full set of rotors, which way should i go.

_ - - - - - - - _

This leads me to my next question. Pads. Is there a small set up from the HP+ that won't over power my street tires the way DTC60s probably would. Ken mentioned the DTC30s and i have also seen the HT 10s as maybe a mid step.
I don't know the Carbotech Brands that well but they may have a good step up to more braking friction but not too much for my tires right now. Also heard that you don't want to mix Carbotech pads with anything else on a rotors.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Step away from the fancy rotors pipe and breathe dude! the stock rotors hold up fine with HP+, PFC's, and Carbotech's (well, maybe not them so much). If you plan on continuing with PHDE's then start thinking of rotors as consumable items like brake pads. Hi-buck two piece rotors may be nice to have but they aren't necessary especially if you are staying with street tires. You want more brake bite? go with Carbotechs or PFC's.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:37 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Well if my rotors are coming to the end of thier life, just get more stock Z51s? I am trying to get something besides drilled. Slotted or solid at least to help avoid some of those cracks that come from the drilling.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:38 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Another question would be is it necessary to switch rotors if i do upgrade to DTC 60s when i get a set of ToyoR888s eventually. Thats what i would like to do when i splurge for that upgrade. Would the rotors need replaced then?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Stock-style rotors are fine. I've had great results with the set of Cquence that I put on my GTO. I ended up using the slotted ones because they didn't have any blank. The Cquence rotors were cheaper than OE but I actually got more track/street miles on them than the OE ones that I've used. I'm a big fan of Hawk and use their HPS on the street and DTC-60 on the track on the same rotors. Like Jamie said above, rotors are consumables so plan on replacing them often and you'll be fine.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

Just a few notes.

Centric supplies the blanks for Stoptech (and others) - not the other way around. I have not bought each C6 rotor to verify but by calling/asking I am pretty sure of the following.

Centric has 2 lines - standard and premium. There are many differences the most obvious being the black coating on the Premium's. More importantly -they are a better made and higher quality part.

-Parting line in the center of the vane (like OEM)
-G30/G3000 gray iron
-Finish machining - chamfered edges etc.

Now comes a few tricky items.

-Centric made additional tooling to produce curved vane rotors in a few instances where the factory front rotor was pillar-vaned. The STi and EVO are 2 instances and I assume there are others. But - you have to buy the slotted Stoptech rotor to get that afaik.

-Centric made the rotors exactly as the OEM did. So.....Z51 and Z06 rotors will come drilled and in the case of the Z06 it's curved vane w/ only 1 side made. This is the info I did not confirm by buying them as I don't care to stock many drilled rotors.

Lastly - plenty of co's buy the Centric standards and machine them/coat them.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Carbotech XP10 Front XP8 Rear These will work great for you. Contact me at 216-780-8825.

When Carbotech unleashed the XP10™ to the general public, and it was an instant success, gathering multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ is a very high initial bite friction material, with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1650°F. Due to the high level of friction and bite, this material is recommended for cars weighing around 2,000lbs or more, not including formula cars and cars with brake bias bars weighing less than 2,000lbs. This is the preferred compound for the front of Spec Miata racers, SSC,SSB, T3, SRF, ITS, ITE, H1,H2, H3, H4, 944 Cup, ST, GS, Factory Five Cobra’s and many more Grand-Am/ALMS/SCCA/NASA classes. XP10™ is also ideal for advanced/instructor level HPDE drivers. XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release and excellent modulation, rotor friendliness, and 100% non-corrosive dust that have made all Carbotech compounds so successful. XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range (200°F-1350°F+). Carbotech XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Outstanding initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance, very rotor friendly with 100% non-corrosive dust. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter ITA, ITB, ITC, SRF, H4, H5, and other cars that weigh less than 2,400lbs. Perfect for novice, intermediate and advanced track day (HPDE) use with any tire, and can still be driven safely to and from the track. There are several vehicles that use XP8™ on the street, autocross, and at track day (HPDE) events. Carbotech does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. XP8™ is also a great rear brake pad for almost any race car (Spec Miata-T1/T2/CMC). XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

So you can run the Centric Premiums for ~ $50 per wheel which on average last about 3 days with 4-5 20min sessions before they crack.
You could upgrade to the Power-Slot (made by Centric) or DBA one-peice which last a little longer and cost 2x. Or you can use DBA or other two-piece rotors which last twice as long but cost ~ 4x as much.

This wisdom is located all over the forum yet I'm constantly suprised how many people continue to purchase expensive rotors.

I'd like to get the economics to make sense b/c the two-piece units look really cool, but the $ just doesn't work out.

Stay with the cheaper solid quality rotors, buy yourself a Craftsman cordless impact wrench, an aluminum jack to carry to the track and carry a set of spares. It takes me about 30 minutes to change all four rotors at the track if I have to.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 AM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Looks like for "consumable" rotors ill look at the cquence or the Centric. I don't want drilled though since i doubt any of ours are like the porche drilled that are cast that way. Id rather have solid or slotted for HPDE/track use.

Anyone know a good place to get powerslot/Centric rotors online? I also say the PowerSlot Cryo rotors. Price difference there worth it? I can't find many prices for Powerslot (which comes from Centric i learned) so any help towards a good website would help too.

KNS Brakes sells the Centric Premiums which i will probably go with if someone recommends solid over slotted.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Armycop
Drifting

here's an example:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cart/cart.jsp

that's it, that's all. My first set of the season are just now starting to show spider cracks. They are my DD set as I have another set of front's sitting in their boxes waiting to go to the track. These and my PFC 99's whoa me pretty good.

Last edited by Armycop; 09-03-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: ikintspeel
Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing you have to remember when considering a 2 piece rotor is that you don't replace the whole thing evey time. Once you own the hat, you just replace the ring. Our front rotor for the C6 Z51 is $385 each, but replacement rings are $196 each. That is about the same as the DBA 4000 single piece rotor, but a better quality rotor with a significant weight savings as well. Our rotors are all vented correctly as well, making them easier to cool. I have always said that with ours you have a higher initial investment, but lower operational cost per event.

Give us a call if you are interested or have any further questions.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631
Old 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
One thing you have to remember when considering a 2 piece rotor is that you don't replace the whole thing evey time. Once you own the hat, you just replace the ring. Our front rotor for the C6 Z51 is $385 each, but replacement rings are $196 each. That is about the same as the DBA 4000 single piece rotor, but a better quality rotor with a significant weight savings as well. Our rotors are all vented correctly as well, making them easier to cool. I have always said that with ours you have a higher initial investment, but lower operational cost per event.

Give us a call if you are interested or have any further questions.
Robert Finlayson
Performance AFX Motorsports
815-254-2631

.....in the long run the best, and most economical, route for me was the 2 piece setup with Cobalt pads that Bob recommended. I had tried other pads on the stock rotors, DBA 4000 rotors, and 2 piece Coleman rotors, with mixed results, and always high wear.
With the rotor/pad combo he suggested, I am getting more than one hard weekend out of a set of pads, and the rotor wear is not even comparable; no grooving whatsoever.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 AM
PeOR
Instructor

Default My take

I would take off the drilled rotors before entering track, and save them for an occasion when you want nice looking rotors. If you track them you will get the cracks from every hole after just one day or so.

Then I am quite happy with DBA4000. As previous people have said, this is consumables. I did 7 events on my first rotors.

Finally, I disagree with the recommendation of Hawk+. It is the only pad I have used that glaced and then boiled my brake fluid. All other suggestions in the thread I would agree with. I am currently quite happy with DTC70/60. I get 2-3 events per front pads which is a bit costly.

And of course - fresh 600 brake fluid in the system.

PeO.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:41 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
.....in the long run the best, and most economical, route for me was the 2 piece setup with Cobalt pads that Bob recommended. I had tried other pads on the stock rotors, DBA 4000 rotors, and 2 piece Coleman rotors, with mixed results, and always high wear.
With the rotor/pad combo he suggested, I am getting more than one hard weekend out of a set of pads, and the rotor wear is not even comparable; no grooving whatsoever.
I'm amazed by that, because the rear 2 pc i got from geerookie had run cobalts and they were very much worn in the pad contact area. The carbotech's won't even come close to that.

btw those rings (Coleman) were basically "done" when I got them (I bought them mostly for the AFX hats) and the rings have literally gone the entire year, and are still going. I put them on in Feb CMP just to finish them off Typically I'd go through chinese rears 1/2 through a season. I've done way more laps this year than last year to.

Looking forward to trying the AFX/Coleman fronts here starting in Dec...
Old 09-04-2010, 12:56 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm amazed by that, because the rear 2 pc i got from geerookie had run cobalts and they were very much worn in the pad contact area. The carbotech's won't even come close to that.

btw those rings (Coleman) were basically "done" when I got them (I bought them mostly for the AFX hats) and the rings have literally gone the entire year, and are still going. I put them on in Feb CMP just to finish them off Typically I'd go through chinese rears 1/2 through a season. I've done way more laps this year than last year to.

Looking forward to trying the AFX/Coleman fronts here starting in Dec...
I had just the opposite happen. Last year I ran Carbotech XP12's on the front and XP10's on the rear, and they grooved the heck out of my Coleman rotor rings. I switched to the Cobalt XR2's and new rings and the wear is much better.
I loved the feel of the Carbotech pads, but I was only getting one weekend out of the fronts. The feel of the Cobalt pad is almost as good, but the fronts are lasting 3 times longer, and not grooving my rotors.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:52 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LeMans05C6
Looks like for "consumable" rotors ill look at the cquence or the Centric. I don't want drilled though since i doubt any of ours are like the porche drilled that are cast that way. Id rather have solid or slotted for HPDE/track use.

Anyone know a good place to get powerslot/Centric rotors online? I also say the PowerSlot Cryo rotors. Price difference there worth it? I can't find many prices for Powerslot (which comes from Centric i learned) so any help towards a good website would help too.

KNS Brakes sells the Centric Premiums which i will probably go with if someone recommends solid over slotted.
I buy my rotors from Tire Rack b/c it's quick and easy but several forum vendors also sell them. I buy the base Centric Cryo treated solid rotors (not the PowerSlot) but don't see any advantage in life. Slotted is theoretically better but again at 2x the price for the PowerSlot vs the Centric Premiums without getting twice the rotor life the economics just don't work out.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 AM
67Ranger
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Im pretty happy with my cetric rotors and carbotech pads.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:04 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Okay here is my delima.

The Z51 Centric rotors when you look on thier website say they are drilled. They are thicker for the Z51 standard but i would like to get away from the drilled holes to avoid all those cracks.

Is there a flat Z51 rotor?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:09 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Just a few notes.

Centric supplies the blanks for Stoptech (and others) - not the other way around. I have not bought each C6 rotor to verify but by calling/asking I am pretty sure of the following.

Centric has 2 lines - standard and premium. There are many differences the most obvious being the black coating on the Premium's. More importantly -they are a better made and higher quality part.

-Parting line in the center of the vane (like OEM)
-G30/G3000 gray iron
-Finish machining - chamfered edges etc.

Now comes a few tricky items.

-Centric made additional tooling to produce curved vane rotors in a few instances where the factory front rotor was pillar-vaned. The STi and EVO are 2 instances and I assume there are others. But - you have to buy the slotted Stoptech rotor to get that afaik.

-Centric made the rotors exactly as the OEM did. So.....Z51 and Z06 rotors will come drilled and in the case of the Z06 it's curved vane w/ only 1 side made. This is the info I did not confirm by buying them as I don't care to stock many drilled rotors.

Lastly - plenty of co's buy the Centric standards and machine them/coat them.
?

They are not thicker though - at least they shouldn't be - they are direct OEM replacement - as close as Centric can get them to be.

DBA makes Z51 sized blanks and if you can get past the panic on here over 1 batch of rotors that are a completely different part number than yours - well they are generally a good replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To New rotors... new pads for HPDEs a step up?

Quick Reply: New rotors... new pads for HPDEs a step up?