Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire trailer pics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:36 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tire trailer pics?

Anyone have some pics of their tire trailers that they'd like to share? Looking for something that will accommodate 8 wheels w/tires on a 40x48" trailer. I've seen this setup at a few auto-xs, but didn't have a camera with me.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:53 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's mine only 4 tires though but it works for me.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:48 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks - the 8 wheel setups I've seen have 2 horizontal rows. I need to know how much & what size tubing to buy to weld up the wheel holders.

On that setup you had to separately buy the little wheel/support (proper name?) near the hitch?

Also - anyone have a wiring guide?

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:31 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Thanks - the 8 wheel setups I've seen have 2 horizontal rows. I need to know how much & what size tubing to buy to weld up the wheel holders.

On that setup you had to separately buy the little wheel/support (proper name?) near the hitch?

Also - anyone have a wiring guide?

Thanks.
My tire trailer is similar to the one above.

I don't think I've ever seen a 40 x 48 trailer setup for 8 tires. I've seen several with 4 tires in a single horizontal row. I'm sure that two rows of 4 tires each will fit onto the 40 x 48, and they won't exceed the maximum weight capacity either. I think you will have to do some of the design work yourself, though.

One thing I learned the hard way with my trailer is that you need to position the overall load a little forward of center, so there is a little steady-state weight on the tongue of the trailer. You could either build the framework for the tires a couple inches forward of center overall, or always load the heavier tires on the front part of the trailer.

If the above picture is a Harbor Freight trailer (looks like it is), then the little wheel support, the spare tire, and the spare tire mounting are extra cost options that you can get from Harbor Freight.

The wiring diagram for the lights on the trailer comes with the trailer when you buy it from Harbor Freight. The easiest and best way to do the hitch wiring in your car is to take the car to a U-Haul Trailer rental yard, and ask them to install the wiring. It will take less time and be a better installation than you could do yourself, and it should cost less than $50.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tractor and Supply trailer 5X8 holds 8 tires plus big tool chest. Cost about $350, Hitch another $150, plus another $150 install. I did the wiring myself when moving to second car, was really easy. I've done many 4 hour trips to the track and back. I just leave it in the paddock at night (next to a Ferrari or 28' rig ). It works real good, but I really dont like feeling the clunking on my baby. I think the drive to the track stresses me more than the actual track day. That could just be my inexperience of pulling stuff though.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by kwhiteside
... It works real good, but I really dont like feeling the clunking on my baby. I think the drive to the track stresses me more than the actual track day. That could just be my inexperience of pulling stuff though.
I was the same way until I realized it wasn't doing any harm. It's especially bad on concrete surfaces, because the trailer bounces a bit on every expansion crack and they're evenly spaced. I slow down a bit on really wavy concrete highways, but only because the bouncing freaks out the other drivers.

I've got way over 5,000 miles on my tire trailer now, and the trailer, the hitch, and the car are still OK.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Here is my harbour freight trailer, I use wheel chocks from walmart bolted to the plywood and strap them down to eye hooks I've installed in the trailer frame. I can haul 8 tires. A couple of buddies have this setup too and we've never had any trouble.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:02 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by C6-CYa
That's an awesome setup!

I think a horizontal bar would mess up the inside of the rim center. The chocks are a great idea.
Not if you use a piece of PVC pipe over the metal bar that is what I do and it has worked just fine. Pa to Nevada & back!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

This is my friend's modified Harbor Freight 4'x4' trailer. We bolted the tool box to the front and then strap two sets of wheels behind it. While it was originally 4'x4', we extended it to 4'x6' and moved the axle back to be able to fit both sets of wheels. It works well for us but we run 245/40-17 Hoosiers on the track so they're not all that wide. If you're using it for Corvette sized tires, they will be too wide. If HF makes one that's 5' wide, that would probably work.

We tried laying the tires down in stacks but found that standing them up and strapping them down was held them down the tightest. With two straps through each set, one going forward and one backward, they don't move a bit. (Those are our street wheels in the picture so they aren't strapped down correctly. I couldn't find a picture of the trailer loaded up and tightened down the right way.)

We've been using this trailer since ~2004 and it's worked out great. We've towed to Watkins Glen, MidOhio, and a few tracks here in Michigan. Other than one incident where it fell off the hitch in rush hour traffic in Buffalo, it's been solid. As mentioned above though, it doesn't handle concrete roads very well and we usually have to slow down to around 70 to keep it from jumping around due to the expansion joints.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:10 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

No pictures handy. But I have the same trailer as Kwhiteside. The Tractor Supply 4' x 6' trailer. It is actually made by Carry On. They make all types of trailers. This trailer is welded with a proper framing and can handle the full Class I load in case you need to use it for other things. I've put my riding mower and stuff on it.

That extra size is enough so that I have my Contico bin in front. Then stack 2 tires flat on each other in the middle then 2 the same in the rear. It balances out the trailer nicely. It also makes room to put a canopy, folding chairs, cooler, gas can, whatever. If I need to bring 6 tires then 3 standing up side by side like in the picture above. No need to weld or bolt pipes on it. Just have a dozen tie down straps and it all locks in place and works.

Great trailer for the money. Mine might actually be for sale since I just bought an 18' open deck hauler :-)
Old 09-12-2010, 01:16 PM
JCHVMSC
Cruising

Default Tire Trailer

Here is my variation on the tire trailer - pulls great and you hardly notice it's back there

[URL="http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa353/jchvmsc/Tire%20Trailer/?action=view&current=TrailerClose1.jpg"]
[URL="http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa353/jchvmsc/Tire%20Trailer/?action=view&current=TrailerClose3.jpg"]

This is a Northern Tool version that I had to do a lot of mods to to get it where I wanted it. Added LED lights and larger tires, spare, toolbox and box for the tires

JCHVMSC

Last edited by JCHVMSC; 09-17-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: pics
Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...nd_Trailer.jpg

Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 AM
kwhiteside
Burning Brakes

While on this subject. I'm looking for a more rugged toolbox that costs less than a couple hundred. 48" X 24-30" ish. Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
johninar
Drifting

Tractor supply has a nice one made out of Alluminum diamond plate.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's mine(Harbor Freight) but it only holds 4 tires. I lengthened the tongue by 18" to smooth the ride and it makes it easier to back up.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...3/100_1333.jpg
Old 09-14-2010, 10:04 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found mine on craigs list 150 + about 60 other in parts .... have towed at Interstate highway speeds with no problems at all .... Box is from walmart I also strap the orange cooler to the fender with a net type strap ...

Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 668 Likes on 290 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I have a small Harbor Freight trailer that I modified to fit my needs and wants. I added LED tail lights and upgraded to the larger 12" tire size. If I could do it again, I would have found a 5 lug bolt pattern trailer wheel, so I could increase the tire size. I have four stock size C5 Z05 wheels on the trailer, plus a big tool box and a spare trailer tire.
I am in the midst of upgrading the set up. I added a tire cradle instead of laying them flat. I use a galvanized pipe and PVC pipe on top of that, to secure the wheels in the new position, as opposed what is pictured.
I had the entire trailer "Beefed Up" with additional welds after adding the cradle and a friend is painting the whole trailer LeMans Blue!

ORIGINAL SET UP

NEW SET UP BEFORE FINAL PAINT

Get notified of new replies

To Tire trailer pics?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 PM
H8TOBL8
Pro

Old 09-16-2010, 08:14 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks guys, lots of pics w/4 tires. Looks like I am going to have to break out the welder and some creativity to get 8 on there.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 PM
waktasz
Pro

Everyone seems to have 4 tires and a box (me too), so 8 and no box should be easy enough.

Quick Reply: Tire trailer pics?