Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS trouble at SCCA Nationals, Please read!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default TPMS trouble at SCCA Nationals, Please read!

I have a friend running Super Stock with a C6Z. He's been running the car without the TPMS sensor with no problems until now. The battery was dead yesterday. After getting the car restarted, the car now won't allow him to turn off AH.

What can be done on-site to fix this? Can we borrow a set of wheels/tires with sensors to trick it in to working again? Is there a way to do this without a calibration tool?

Is there a way to temporarily trick the car in to turning all the nannies off? I've read a couple of posts suggesting this by turning off the car, restarting, then clearing all messages. (we haven't tried this yet, still at the hotel this morning)

Thanks,
Dave G.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Swap the battery with one that wasn't dead. I've had a stump-dead battery cause all kinds of ah/tc/abs headaches (in a C5Z) even after jumpstarting the car.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:51 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't "trick" the ECU. You will probably need a set of sensors and a tool to learn them to the ECU. Or, you will need the original sensors, installed in a pressurized tube (or wheels) so the ECU can see them.

Nearby dealer is the best shot unless you can find someone at the tack with the tool.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
Can't "trick" the ECU. You will probably need a set of sensors and a tool to learn them to the ECU. Or, you will need the original sensors, installed in a pressurized tube (or wheels) so the ECU can see them.

Nearby dealer is the best shot unless you can find someone at the tack with the tool.
Drive up to a discount tire or tire store and they have the tools to "re-learn" the tire sensors..then go from there..
Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM
geerookie
Drifting

If you hold the TC/AH button down for 5 - 10 seconds it will turn everything off and shouldn't put you in limp mode.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by geerookie
If you hold the TC/AH button down for 5 - 10 seconds it will turn everything off and shouldn't put you in limp mode.
Some people have reported that some cars won't allow you to turn off the nannies if TPMS isn't working. But it's cheap and easy to try.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Check with another competitor to see if they have wheels with sensors and happen to have a TPMS training tool. If the person will let your friend borrow the wheels for a half hour or so take them and place them next to the car and use the tool to train the car to the competitors wheels. Once that is done the car will think it has TPMS sensors installed. Then return the wheels and tool to the new best friend.

I don't know how far the sensors transmitters can reach but he could try parking next to the guys car with the left side next to the right side and training the the two on that side and then moving the other guys car so the other sides of the cars are next to each other and then training the last two sensors. If it works that could save some time.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-09-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea, I think we got it. What a pain in the butt. Thanks for the replies guys.

Dave G.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Swap the battery with one that wasn't dead. I've had a stump-dead battery cause all kinds of ah/tc/abs headaches (in a C5Z) even after jumpstarting the car.
This is the fix (if you don't have sensors). A low battery on a C6Z causes havoc. My windows wouldn't index properly, TH wouldn't release, sometimes the windows won't work all together. A low battery on a C6Z will cause tremendous electrical issues. It sounds crazy, but it is 100% true.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Not a C6 guy but could this be one of those deals where one has to drive the car a few miles/and turn off and on a few times for everything to reset correctly. I know there are some things that do require the vehicle to be driven several miles after clearing the problem.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar issue where the ECU on my C6Z wouldn't let me turn the nannies off during an HPDE. Didn't have a low battery, but it started happening as soon as the TPMS diagnostic popped up (my track wheels didn't have TPMS in them). Unfortunately, I was driving the car hard enough at the track that I overheated the brakes due to the AH and a 105 degree day. When I mounted the new set of tires (the old set was polished off when I slid off track at 140), I put TPMS in them. A guy at the track had the reset tool, and I didn't have an issue the next day with the AH.

Just a reminder on the C6, when you park it, especially if the battery is known to be getting tired, put it in reverse when you turn it off. This will let the different electronic modules in the car go to sleep. If you don't, they will slowly drain the battery (on a strong battery, it will take weeks, but I've heard of it happening much faster on a weak battery).
Old 09-11-2010, 08:50 AM
mikefili
Pro

Tricking the car by placing a set of wheels with sensors will work. You need to pair the other wheels to your car with the reset tool, only thing is you will not get a too many laps before the car will sense no air pressure info being sent to the computer and put you back in fault mode. In any event once you shut off the car it will go back into fault mode anyway. I have spent a few days playing that game at the track and it gets old fast.
I have also found out the following, I start off the day all sensors working in my track wheels and all is fine, then at some point one sensor will stop working, a few laps later car will go into fault. I will return and find that the faulty sensor will not reset with the tool as if it has just gone bad, I tap with a wrench rather hard on the valve stem a number of times and then the sensor will start working. we tried this with a friends Z that was having the same problem and his sensor started to work again.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS trouble at SCCA Nationals, Please read!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS trouble at SCCA Nationals, Please read!