Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooiser Air Pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 AM
mikefili
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooiser Air Pressure question

I am running Hooiser R6 DOT slicks on a C6Z, I have been all over the map with what air to run. Hooiser guide line for these tires is much higher than other brands, they state somewhere around 27 to 32 cold that brings my hot to over 40 on fronts, one guy at the track is at 22 to 24 cold on his C6 non Z, I felt like the tires were rolling over at that air. What are other guys doing? By the way I seem to have an ongoing problem with the car pushing.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:30 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefili
I am running Hooiser R6 DOT slicks on a C6Z, I have been all over the map with what air to run. Hooiser guide line for these tires is much higher than other brands, they state somewhere around 27 to 32 cold that brings my hot to over 40 on fronts, one guy at the track is at 22 to 24 cold on his C6 non Z, I felt like the tires were rolling over at that air. What are other guys doing? By the way I seem to have an ongoing problem with the car pushing.
to help but not be nasty do a search it has been beat up here a few times and even very recently.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:46 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Air pressure is like religion, gotta find something that works for you. I probably ran mine at higher pressures than most guys looking for max performance. I started at 30-32 cold with a hot target of 40 all around. Starting pressure depended on the temp that day...hot days I would start closer to 30. I was more interested in preserving the shoulders of the tires and thereby extending the life of the tires than I was max performance...guess that explains why I never won the HDPE trophy.

You also need to be careful of too much pressure, obviously the front will push, but worse, the rear end can get skittish especially when hitting bumps at speed while turning.

I have no idea where you are in your driving evolution, but a common tendency I see in my students is that they get into the gas too much too early, resulting in a push. Each corner has its own requirements, but most, especially > 90 deg turns, require some maintenance throttle followed by a controlled squeeze to full throttle.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ce-normal.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...pressures.html

tons of reading and this is just two threads
Old 09-11-2010, 07:47 PM
mikefili
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John my old friend, I really did not think to do a search, most time if I put in a key word I get any and everything with the word Hoosier, and I don't ever seem to find what I an looking for.
Maybe I can search if I should stick with 1:87 gears in a cresent lower unit along with Mazco 34" Offshore Cleavers, or should I try 2:1 gears with 32" Choppers?
Opps, wrong forum. LOL
Michael Filippone
Old 09-12-2010, 12:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Hi John my old friend, I really did not think to do a search, most time if I put in a key word I get any and everything with the word Hoosier, and I don't ever seem to find what I an looking for.
Maybe I can search if I should stick with 1:87 gears in a cresent lower unit along with Mazco 34" Offshore Cleavers, or should I try 2:1 gears with 32" Choppers?
Opps, wrong forum. LOL
Michael Filippone
I run on the higher side of the pressures ending 40-41 frt & rear and starting at 32F & 31R on 70-80 degree day.

my next glass, carbon, kevlar high tech lay up will be on a kayak now reduced to 7 mph Still fun with me against the water only the waves are now smaller and I am the motor.

probably see you this winter in FL
Old 09-13-2010, 01:51 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The push might be caused by tires that are too narrow up front. What sizes are you using front and rear?

Get notified of new replies

To Hooiser Air Pressure question

Quick Reply: Hooiser Air Pressure question