Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch fluid vs. brake fluid, and remote reservoirs

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clutch fluid vs. brake fluid, and remote reservoirs

My car has Tilton pedals and master cylinders. There is currently one remote reservoir that feeds the 3 master cylinders. I am going to be installing Gary's new T1 brakes and I will be using Castrol SRF brake fluid, and I am wondering whether I need that quality of fluid for the clutch.

I am considering buying the Tilton 3 chamber remote reservoir to put in place of the single unit on the car now. If I do that I can use the SRF in the 2 brake chambers, and I could choose any fluid for the clutch. I will certainly stick with DOT 4 fluid for the clutch, but maybe the clutch fluid does not need to be quite as good/expensive as the SRF that will be used in the brakes? To date I have never had any heat issues with the clutch fluid but I appreciate the need to use quality fluids throughout.

Thoughts? Any and all inputs are appreciated!
Old 09-11-2010, 05:38 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

What you are planning on doing is ok. I have triple m/c's on my race car, but have always used the same fluid simply because I had it and it was not expensive SRF. On many race cars you will notice one of the three reservoirs has a differnent color fluid and it is because of what you mentioned above.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of people have lots of problems with the clutch hydraulics: http://www.google.com/#q=corvette+cl...ticks+to+floor

The clutch takes very little fluid. Put the good stuff in there.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I concur! Use SRF or RBF 600 in all hydraulic applications

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch fluid vs. brake fluid, and remote reservoirs

Quick Reply: Clutch fluid vs. brake fluid, and remote reservoirs