Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling Transmission with fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:57 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Filling Transmission with fluid

I'm replacing tranmission fluid on my C5Z which has a cooler on it and I was told it should hold 6-8 quarts in it. I got about 3 quarts and it started coming out of the fill hole. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 09-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Does it have an electric pump and did you exercise it with the drain plugs open? If not you only drained what was in the tranny and didn't drain the cooler. Some systems you have to open the cooler lines and drain it before refilling...

Talk to the person that installed the system and get the proper draining and filling procedure or you are likely only doing the job half way each time...
Old 09-18-2010, 05:15 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It all depends on the location of the cooler in relation to the transmission. If it is lower than the tranny, you will not get a gravity drain on it by just removing the tranny drain plug. You might have to remove the lower oil line to the cooler and drain cooler and its lines from there as well as use the drain plug. When you fill, run the pump for a short time to refill the cooler and lines, then check the fluid level in trans again and add accordingly.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:36 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
It all depends on the location of the cooler in relation to the transmission. If it is lower than the tranny, you will not get a gravity drain on it by just removing the tranny drain plug. You might have to remove the lower oil line to the cooler and drain cooler and its lines from there as well as use the drain plug. When you fill, run the pump for a short time to refill the cooler and lines, then check the fluid level in trans again and add accordingly.
I just did mine yesterday and thats how I did it. I also put the air hose in the tranny and blew everything out including the cooler lines. Filled it till dribble, then reconnect line and run pump for 2 minutes and then recheck level and had to add another 1/2 quart.

Aaron
Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rasrboy
I just did mine yesterday and thats how I did it. I also put the air hose in the tranny and blew everything out including the cooler lines. Filled it till dribble, then reconnect line and run pump for 2 minutes and then recheck level and had to add another 1/2 quart.

Aaron
I didn't put all the info in the first time apparently. When I drained it, I got out about 5 quarts. So if I only got in 3 quarts so far, it should still have some room for more fluid in it I would think. So maybe I need to run the cooler for a 2-3 minutes and then see if I can fill it some more? I turned the pump on for maybe 30 seconds and that was it.

Get notified of new replies

To Filling Transmission with fluid

Quick Reply: Filling Transmission with fluid