Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Enthusiast Closes the Door

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Corvette Enthusiast Closes the Door

Another Corvette magazine has closed up. Corvette Enthusiast has been around for a few years but never established much of a presence in the hobby. It's no surprise that it's shutting down.

We're now down to Corvette Magazine and Vette. I'm willing to be that by the end of the year only one will exist. Both magazines have some really dismal circulation numbers and no digital presence at all.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 09-20-2010, 09:17 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The recession and digital age is really taking a bite out of all print media. I just received my copy of the "New" Vette magazine (combination of Corvette Fever and Vette mags) and must say that I am pleasantly surprised at quality and content. There used to be a mag called Vette Vues which was aimed more at the restoration crowd. Does anyone know if it is still published ?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

It's still around. Here's a link for them. They have a very low overhead operation and just keep plugging along. They will probably be the last one standing.

The problem with Vette (and Corvette Fever) was the huge debt load. The investment banking people got involved with Petersen back in the day. All of the old Petersen magazines have been though several bankruptcies. They still have some pretty massive debt though.

Richard Newton
Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

The real question is how can print media that lags months behind the instantaneous internet ever hope to compete? Every time I pick up a Corvette magazine at the news rack there's nothing in it that I don't already know from the forum. There's no advertiser telling something I don't already know. Advertising has been reduced to "don't forget we still exist." And as the old guard dies off all that remains is folks who have grown up with the net and who think that magazines are quaint, moldy, "old school" junk that they found stacked in boxes when they cleaned out dad's garage.

The have pretty pictures though

Z//
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I just got a request for renewal from Corvette Enthusiast.

What is your source that it is no longer to be published?

Not sayin you're wrong, just where is the info from?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:16 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I just got a request for renewal from Corvette Enthusiast.

What is your source that it is no longer to be published?

Not sayin you're wrong, just where is the info from?

Never mind it's all over the place.

So what is left to subscribe to (print magazine)?

??????????????????????????????/
Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

The Editor of Corvette Enthusiast- Andy Bolig.

Richard Newton
Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
The real question is how can print media that lags months behind the instantaneous internet ever hope to compete? Every time I pick up a Corvette magazine at the news rack there's nothing in it that I don't already know from the forum. There's no advertiser telling something I don't already know. Advertising has been reduced to "don't forget we still exist." And as the old guard dies off all that remains is folks who have grown up with the net and who think that magazines are quaint, moldy, "old school" junk that they found stacked in boxes when they cleaned out dad's garage.

Z//
I have never read car magazines for the "news" - they are great paper based entertainment, picture spreads and reading material when on the crapper.

I actually have little use for "digital" media other than news.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Hey! I want to get a little press coverage for our 2010 Cal Club Corvette Challenge by Speed Ventures series we are running in SoCal.

What magazines are there in total for the Corvette, which ones are best for coverage of an amateur race series and can anyone put me in touch with an editor?

Thanks,

Oli
Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
I have never read car magazines for the "news" - they are great paper based entertainment, picture spreads and reading material when on the crapper.

I actually have little use for "digital" media other than news.
My first thought is to yell "get a horse"

In "the old days" general automotive and racing news DID come via magazines. That's how I grew up, anyway. If I wanted to know what happened at Le Mans, or Silverstone or what new sports cars were out or in the pipeline, Road & Track and the like were my sources. But I do agree with you in general. Sitting on the john with a laptop just isn't right

But I've been on the net since it was arpanet so it's just the way it works now. And I'm hardly alone. The fact that newspapers and magazines are almost all in trouble (or already gone) tells the tale.

Z//
Old 09-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Hey! I want to get a little press coverage for our 2010 Cal Club Corvette Challenge by Speed Ventures series we are running in SoCal.

What magazines are there in total for the Corvette, which ones are best for coverage of an amateur race series and can anyone put me in touch with an editor?

Thanks,

Oli
Ditto that

DH
Old 09-20-2010, 04:27 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

The best indication of the dire state of print media are the offers for free/near free subscriptions in an effort to get circulation numbers up. I just got 14 issues of Road and Track (a favorite since my college days back in the paleolithic era) for $8.00.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:07 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo

Z//
Exactly! Most 'articles' are simply copies of manufacturers' glossies. No in depth facts at all. Corvette Magazine is the only vette magazine to which I have subscribed for the last few years. For in depth interviews and articles I go with Racecar Engineering.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Is there any Corvette only mag left?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow. I guess I got lucky that they finally ran my article earlier this year. The photos were shot in June of 2007 and published in the Feb 2010 issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Enthusiast Closes the Door

Quick Reply: Corvette Enthusiast Closes the Door