Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limit rear suspension travel

Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limit rear suspension travel

I am planning on moving to CCW C10 18x13 rear wheels on my Grand Sport and know that they have a small interference with the upper control arm when the car is up on a lift. So when I go to mount the wheel I cant torque down the lugs because of the interference. Is there a simple way to limit the suspension travel to prevent the interference? really don't want to go with spacers, although it looks like .25" would be enough to solve the problem.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Limiting the suspension travel is the last thing I would consider. Not sure what else to tell you.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I'd run an adapter rather than a spacer.
Even though it looks like it only interfers at a certian suspension point its going to interfere at wierd places on the track.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

In this case he's talking about limiting droop travel and I don't think that, unless the car is flying off of a jump you will ever get to full droop in the rear, so a rebound cable will do what he needs to do.

And you do want to have the travel limited because if he ever did get to full droop with those rims on the car things would get nasty.

An elegant solution is to get a pair of shock top mounts, cut a big hole in them and offset the mounting surface about a half an inch. That would give you more jounce travel and reduce the rebound enough for what he wants to do.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
An elegant solution is to get a pair of shock top mounts, cut a big hole in them and offset the mounting surface about a half an inch. That would give you more jounce travel and reduce the rebound enough for what he wants to do.
My brain isn't getting this one. Doesn't he need to shorten the shock to reduce droop travel? And won't spacing the shock further from the frame lengthen it? Oh, you're saying recess the mounting surface with a custom upper mount rather than space it down. Got it.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:14 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Our coilovers work well for this application. They are a shorter body shock and limit the amount of droop travel. I have said before a stock car has enough droop to run the baja 1000.

Randy
Old 09-21-2010, 12:16 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gkmccready
My brain isn't getting this one. Doesn't he need to shorten the shock to reduce droop travel? And won't spacing the shock further from the frame lengthen it? Oh, you're saying recess the mounting surface with a custom upper mount rather than space it down. Got it.
Jinx You can move the upper mount up also that will reduce the amount of droop travel also. Our upper rear mount allows the package to be up in the mount about a 1/4 inch

Randy
Old 09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Default Rebond Cable

I am not so concerned about the wheel hitting the control arm under track conditions as i really doubt that the car gets that unloaded on the rear. I am mostly concerned about the hassle of mounting the wheel and not being able to torque it down while on the lift/jack stands.

How would a rebound strap be connected? A picture would be worth a few thousand words.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:48 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

I have said before a stock car has enough droop to run the baja 1000.

Randy[/QUOTE]

Now there's an image I can't get out of my head!! LOL! JD
Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Take a look at an old straight axle Corvette. We've used axle straps for years (decades).

Richard Newton
My Facebook Page
Old 09-21-2010, 03:11 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Wendling
I am not so concerned about the wheel hitting the control arm under track conditions as i really doubt that the car gets that unloaded on the rear. I am mostly concerned about the hassle of mounting the wheel and not being able to torque it down while on the lift/jack stands.

How would a rebound strap be connected? A picture would be worth a few thousand words.
Seems like a lot of work (and/or expense) when just torquing the wheels while still on the jack/lift as you're letting in down part way solves the problem.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:27 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Getting the wheels tight isn't the issue. That can be done on the ground with some of the weight off the car. Actually it's pretty hard to torque wheels in the air.

Can the rear wheels droop too much and cause them to rub. Yes I think at some tracks, on some corners, it's 100 percent possible to rub the control arm.

Randy
Old 09-21-2010, 09:14 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Couple of places your suspension is unloaded:
top of the hill on the back straight VIR
The top of the hill turn 9 and 11 Road Atl
There are places at lots of other tracks where the suspension is unloaded.

Didn't even think of the rebound cable solution.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 PM
flink
Racer

Here's how I did it on my e36:

It cost about six bucks, lol. Version two uses a loop and a reef knot, so it's twice as strong!

This wouldn't work at all well if there's still load on the spring at full droop - if you want to compress the spring with the strap you will need a proper nylon strap.

That piece of shock cord holds the strap away from everything so it doesn't rub in normal use.

Go hit the hardware store!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Our coilovers work well for this application. They are a shorter body shock and limit the amount of droop travel. I have said before a stock car has enough droop to run the baja 1000.

Randy
I think this is the only correct way to do this. The Hardbar/Penske coil over setup I have has about half the droop of the stock suspension.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 PM
XXXcorvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shock travel limiter

Hey guys I know this is an old thread but i noticed the factory upper shock travel limiter is protruding about 1/4 inch and the LPE travel limiters are recessed about a 1/2 inch. I am going to tub the vette this spring and widen some thinkspokes. I have a friend with a plasma burn table and was thinking about getting him to fab some custom uppers with about a 1" recessed upper limiter plate to accomodate longer and stiffer C6 Z06 shocks. Would 1" be too deep and put torsional stress on the shock shafts?? I understand that the C6 shocks are longer... How much depth should i go? Any positive feedback would be great. THanks guys
Old 10-28-2011, 02:47 PM
XXXcorvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Custom shock limiter plate

Well i finally got these limiter plates finished and had them in for the summer and they work great, they were made with 1/4" mild steel plate and schedule 40 (2" pipe I think) .5" long flush welded. I Had a 80mp/h speed alarm (f45 shocks) shortly after install that went away and no problems since. The only modification I had to do was grind out the upper shock mounting plate hole to install the new limiters. This is what they looked like, with the welds ugly because of the need to weld on the downward face side for a flush fit, which i think worked out to about a 5/8" in less travel.

Get notified of new replies

To Limit rear suspension travel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Limit rear suspension travel