Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SKF bearing queston: can replaice 1 and not a pair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default SKF bearing queston: can replaice 1 and not a pair?

Hi,

It looks like I have to replace a wheel bearing on my C5 because the wire for the ABS (wheel speed sensor) is broken off. Now I'd rather not do both right now because of $$. The GM part is a bit less but I'm thinking of going SKF just because I'd never have to worry about the bearing again.

I'm told the SKF will have less rolling resistence then the GM bearing--so if I install one and not 2 (same axle), is that going to cause a problem? Has anyone done that?

And BTW...has anybody really had issues with SKF quality? It seemed like everyone here loves them. My car is basically on street tires and only sees a 6 days of HPDE/year so not much.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:36 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So My 2 cents :-) With 6 days a year I think a stock bearing would hold up just fine. Some of us have many track miles on them with no failures. The SKF units are bigger and stronger and are quite rare to fail (only herd of one failing early life) If you do decide to go with SKF mechanically I can not see any issues with one wheel able to spin a bit more free then the other any differences would be negligible.... Lets see what others think :-)
Old 10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I would just get another OEM hub. However, where is your ABS wire "broken". I had to cut and re-splice my ABS wires after my rear wheel rubbed on one side and shorted out my wires and it works fine now. You might not have to replace the hub if it's just a bad wire. Lastly, I ran several track events with OEM hubs on some wheels and SKF hubs on others with no problems. Now I have SKF all around.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:09 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
So My 2 cents :-) With 6 days a year I think a stock bearing would hold up just fine. Some of us have many track miles on them with no failures. The SKF units are bigger and stronger and are quite rare to fail (only herd of one failing early life) If you do decide to go with SKF mechanically I can not see any issues with one wheel able to spin a bit more free then the other any differences would be negligible.... Lets see what others think :-)
Old 10-01-2010, 02:43 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
I would just get another OEM hub. However, where is your ABS wire "broken". I had to cut and re-splice my ABS wires after my rear wheel rubbed on one side and shorted out my wires and it works fine now. You might not have to replace the hub if it's just a bad wire. Lastly, I ran several track events with OEM hubs on some wheels and SKF hubs on others with no problems. Now I have SKF all around.
Thanks for the replies everyone! Surprised that OE bearings are that well thought of...but then I haven't personally seen them fail at the track days I've been to.

The wheel speed sensor has 2 dc wires coming from the hub/bearing out into a connector (male). In this case the wires broke right at the root where they come out of the bearing. There's maybe .05" of wire hanging out, virtually nothing. I don't see any room to repair the wire until the metal cover there is removed. I don't even know how that's going to happen once I have it out--hubs seem to come with the sensors as an assembly.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stock tires and 6 days OEM Autozone is where I got them.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:50 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've only got 1 SKF on my car currently. Probably will just replace them as needed, 1 by 1

Get notified of new replies

To SKF bearing queston: can replaice 1 and not a pair?

Quick Reply: SKF bearing queston: can replaice 1 and not a pair?