Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QuarterMaster Clutch Qs...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:20 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I found I rarely had "measurable wear", but the discs were cheap and I'd replace them anytime they were out of the car. I did have a partial failure once...but not sure if the clutch went first, or the pilot bearing/torque tube cause a huge vibration that caused the clutch to whip out of alignment.

They are more durable than you might think.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
pot

Old 11-01-2010, 03:47 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I can vouch this was an honest .75 sec/lap (free rules) mod. There are 2-3 pt mods in TT/PT rules that won't even get you half that.

Mark,

Can you quantify that ".75 sec" for me? Are you saying that you did back to back testing, with identical weather, identical weight except for the difference in the clutch, and identical tire grip? And your laps are consistent enough down to the 100th of a second that you could measure a .75sec difference?

I am not calling you out on this, I am just wondering if the clutch is truly worth 3/4 of a second. My laps times are usually fairly consistent, but I know that weather, grip and driving mentality can make 3/4 of a second difference as well.

The article that David sent me a long time ago quantified the standing acceleration times and differences in a straight light, so I know there are gains. I just question how much on a road course can be quantified unless the testing is accomplished with similar variables.

(sorry, my process improvement analytical nature coming out)

-Kevin
Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Mark,

Can you quantify that ".75 sec" for me? Are you saying that you did back to back testing, with identical weather, identical weight except for the difference in the clutch, and identical tire grip? And your laps are consistent enough down to the 100th of a second that you could measure a .75sec difference?

I am not calling you out on this, I am just wondering if the clutch is truly worth 3/4 of a second. My laps times are usually fairly consistent, but I know that weather, grip and driving mentality can make 3/4 of a second difference as well.

The article that David sent me a long time ago quantified the standing acceleration times and differences in a straight light, so I know there are gains. I just question how much on a road course can be quantified unless the testing is accomplished with similar variables.

-Kevin
too much to type, we'll talk at CMP
Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

too much to type, we'll talk at CMP

See you Sunday.

-Kevin
Old 11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,730 Likes on 935 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Anyone know what is needed to install the 5.5" clutch in a C4 with a ZF? Will their hydraulic slave cylinder work with the ZF or no?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark, he is wanting you to tell him there were many other variables at play so he can convince himself not to spend the money on this!

Mark,

-Kevin
Old 11-03-2010, 04:23 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z06Tracker
Mark, he is wanting you to tell him there were many other variables at play so he can convince himself not to spend the money on this!
there are always many variables at play, I highly recommend the stock clutch for all C5 TTA and PTA participants
Old 11-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Now Kevin, thank us for all the money we just saved you.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Mark,

Can you quantify that ".75 sec" for me? Are you saying that you did back to back testing, with identical weather, identical weight except for the difference in the clutch, and identical tire grip?
Kevin, we never talked at CMP. Not enough hrs in the day.

Feb CMP this past year was very very similar weather. same temps, same air (sunny, high pressure, fairly dry). car at the same comp weight (actually slightly heavier this past weekend, 25-30 lbs or so)

we'll throw out all the bits that throw in more variables and lets just look at the portions of the track that you are WOT, since any gains are only going to be seen there anyway. only drivetrain difference from Feb to Nov is the clutch. (51 lb, 12" dia stock clutch, vs 5.5" dia, 8.9 lb button clutch Nov, along with a 12" ~5 lb flex plate/starter ring)

Nov lap was 1:41.2, Feb lap was 1:41.3 (lateral G's were down in Nov, as were the cornering sector times). both events used no lift shifting on the WOT portions.

Front straight from a dig in 2nd gear

3 tenths quicker from exit of 14 to the start finish. 3 mph faster at the line)

Back side between 7&8

2 tenths quicker

Back side 8 - kink

1 tenth

3rd gear squirt between 11 and 12

2 tenths

That’s 8 tenths on a track where you are WOT only 20% of the lap

No, not the same day/same car, but conditions very similar, so I don't think those numbers would stray very much.

Be more than happy to send you the TM files
Old 11-08-2010, 10:03 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

both events used no lift shifting on the WOT portions.
No fair.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM
9707vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch life

what is the life of the 5.5 vs 8.25 vs stock clutch. I can run a full race season without having to do any major mechanicals. For me thats 7 race weekends ( open track friday, practice/qualify/race Sat and Sun). In addition to the race weekends, we also run 15-18 test/practice days. Do these clutches last as long, 1/2 as long, or????
Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

clutches never wear out unless you slip them. I see no reason a 5.5" clutch would not last as long as an 8.25 unless you slide it a lot in the paddock or driving it onto a trailer. Once you are on the track, the clutch should slip very little.

Time to invest in a winch and an ATV to pull you around the paddock...... (I'm kidding, I always drove mine everywhere, including into the trailer)
Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

I have been using the QuarterMaster 7.25 OptimumV triple and it has proven to be quite durable......

I like David am bad and drive my car into trailers too...
Old 02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I like David am bad and drive my car into trailers too...
you can install a cable catch in the ground and a hook on the car, like a carrier and an F14 tomcat, and just drive the car in the trailer @ 100 mph and not slip the clutch
Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

you can install a cable catch in the ground and a hook on the car, like a carrier and an F14 tomcat, and just drive the car in the trailer @ 100 mph and not slip the clutch
Don't forget to set the parking brake on your truck.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:35 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jason
Don't forget to set the parking brake on your truck.
And to raise the front ride hieght on the car significantly before doing so......

Get notified of new replies

To QuarterMaster Clutch Qs...

Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

actually, I (an many of you too) are pretty good at getting a rolling start and just gliding up. You can be gentle on the clutch if you are willing to put in the effort.

And for what it's worth, pretty much anybody that wants to be competitive in NASA TT or open wheel really has no choice but to eventually convert to a small clutch. You can count points all you want to, but the lightweight clutch/flywheel is the Elephant in the room!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
actually, I (an many of you too) are pretty good at getting a rolling start and just gliding up. You can be gentle on the clutch if you are willing to put in the effort.

And for what it's worth, pretty much anybody that wants to be competitive in NASA TT or open wheel really has no choice but to eventually convert to a small clutch. You can count points all you want to, but the lightweight clutch/flywheel is the Elephant in the room!
That is a trick setup. I think I am going to get one of these. Just hate doing drivetrain work!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
You can count points all you want to, but the lightweight clutch/flywheel is the Elephant in the room!
aside from the obvious inertia advantage, you'll never get a C5 to 50/50 without one (unless you run the car heavy and throw a ton of weight in the rear)

Quick Reply: QuarterMaster Clutch Qs...