Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front calipers sticking....why?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Front calipers sticking....why?

As of late I've noticed the car doesnt roll when I release the brake on a slight incline....odd for a manual car. I've also at times heard a delay in the brakes releasing when I let off the brake pedal from a light; then the car begins to roll on its own. With the front wheels up in the air it took a good bit of muscle to rotate the wheels. Oddly, there does not appear to be any heavy rotor or pad wear from what I can tell briefly.

Setup:
6 piston Wilwood calipers (front)
2 piece coleman rotors
wilwood pads
Motul fluid
SS lines

I also noticed the fluid in the res is completely black. Had a friend come over to help me bleed and found the rear 4 piston calipers bled clean clear fluid where both fronts are bleeding out BLACK nasty fluid.

Any thoughts on what's going on here? Considering giving Wilwood a call as well to get their thoughts. Have an event this Saturday I need to attend so I'd love to get this handled ASAP.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:44 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Give ryan0 a buzz, he had a similar issue.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:46 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure about your particular calipers, but in the past I helped move some race cars with the wilwood superlite (cast) 4 piston calipers and they had the worst release characteristics of any brakes I've ever seen. Car was almost impossible to move with multiple pushers. The calipers were super inexpensive though. I think much of it had to do with the type of seals they used.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How are the seals? How long have you run them? Never had a problemon mine front or rear. Could be collapsing brake hose.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I had an issue with 2 sets of Wilwood SL6 (narrow body) on a couple of C5's a few years back. After going round and round with Wilwood we finally found out that they never anodized the caliper halves and the pistons were gauling in the bore. Wilwood finally ended up giving us new calipers but it was a real PITA. I understand they don't want to be throwing free calipers around but we went through thousands on rotors and pads before we found the problem.
This is probably why your fluid is black, when the aluminum gets into the brake fluid it corrodes and looks black. Take on of the calipers off and spit one of the pistons out, if you see gauling on the pistons give Wilwood a call. I believe I talked with someone named Dustin Burr over at Wilwood, our issues were probably 2 or 3 years ago.
PM me if I can help further.
Joel
Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
How are the seals? How long have you run them? Never had a problemon mine front or rear. Could be collapsing brake hose.

Brakes have less than 5k miles on them. Got the entire kit earlier this year. Just recently noticed the slow release "noise". Lines all seem good during visual inspection.

Get notified of new replies

To Front calipers sticking....why?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front calipers sticking....why?