Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renting Hallett, Vettes vs. BMWs

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Renting Hallett, Vettes vs. BMWs

For no especial reason, me and some buddies decided to rent out Hallett midweek. Five of us, total cost around $300 per. Two Vettes (my LS3 and an LS2), and three BMWs (older M3, new 545, new M5), all street cars on street tires. Three of us with more track experience (though certainly not a lot), one guy on maybe his fourth track day, one complete newbie (the other Vette). None of us had been on Hallett before.

We started the day going over the white board of the track, guessing at some lines, then got cars and drivers ready and started out. After 3-4 laps started picking up the pace a lot. After 20 minutes, everyone back in, compare notes, mark up the white board some more, hit it again. An hour break at lunch, and we finally all gave up around 3PM. We could have gone till five. We got in a LOT of laps for the money, way more than I would have gotten on a weekend HPDE for similar money. And that is a NASTY track! I actually got a little scared of a couple spots, and I generally am pretty calm on track. "Don't brake till you see God." Yep, a couple of those moments. I would have liked to have someone who really knows the track go around with us a couple times, show us a line or two, see if we're as bright as we like to think. I managed to only go off track once, being stupid (lifting suddenly while going through a turn), but no harm.

I run ZO6 sized Supercars, and the rears were almost to the wear bars, so they were not too sticky, definitely one of the limiting factors on the turns (along with my skill set, no doubt). Still, early on I posted the fastest times of the day, several laps in the 1:35s. Nothing like the regulars run out there, but good enough for the day. The group decided I'd lead it out the first time, and after that I just did every time. I was never passed, and I never caught anyone (we'd take a break every 20-30 minutes). Just drivin' all by my lonesome, as fast as I could go, all day long. The M5 steadily got faster all day, always working to improve his lines, the last run he got it down to 1:36.5. If he'd have stayed after it his $100K, 500HP, eight-computer-settings sedan might have matched my $50K sports car. The others never got under 1:40. And the BMWs' PS2s got chunked bad. The 545 managed to get to cord on the left front. Them cars are hard on front tires. And the 545 boiled his brake fluid ("But the dealer said it'd be fine!"). My SCs looked the same before and after, no issues at all. I checked tread depth before and after, they were still the same, less than half a millimeter of wear, which shows how softly I was driving it. My times dropped off as the day wore on. I should have remembered to manage tire pressures as the day warmed up from 50-85, that might have helped. Next time.

In any case, that is a heck of a track. The Bus Stop and the B*tch, I'd shore like someone to show me where they turn in and apex those. But once again, American Iron, er, ummm, Fiberglass, teaches the egotistical Bimmer Boys who builds the FAST cars.

Little story of the day.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:29 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on driving one of the best tracks in this part of the country. I make the drive to Hallett with NASA, and it's a heck of a track. There's a set of guys that run up there that are very fast. One has a LS1 engined RX7. He's a madman. Think he's in the 1.24 time range. Ask the track owners about him.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Godzilladude!
dont you have a 455 MTI GTO you could have run too ?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:04 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Sounds like you guys had a blast! It's a great track, and as you found out, if you're not on your "A" game, it can bite you.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you had fun. It's a very technical track for sure. "the bitch" is my favorite CCW and turn 3-2 going CW.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I really enjoyed your story godzilladude - sounds like a real fun day. As another newbie at track days, I thought it was very interesting- would love to run Hallett sometime. Thanks for sharing
Old 10-08-2010, 10:58 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should have borrowed my plate for the weekend!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Old 10-11-2010, 12:40 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
Godzilladude!
dont you have a 455 MTI GTO you could have run too ?
No, not me. Though if someone has one they need run, I'll drive it!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This was a few weeks ago at a HST event at hallet. ran a 1:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQtdIe5r5u4
Old 10-13-2010, 10:37 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you had an awesome time godzilladude Hallet is my favorite track in the area, I love it either way, but am kinda fond of it in the Clockwise direction. Not sure why?, done both.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:51 PM
johnnywhip
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hallett Playday this FridayApril 15,2011

So sorry for the late post. Tried to post before but didnt get past moderator??

14 NCCC highspeeds this Sat & Sunday, April 16-17,2011 , must have NCCC highspeed License

Friday is Playday and open to ALL Vettes, $150 per car! Driving school is addl $50
Ive been putting this event on for years and its a blast!

email me for details johnnysharp@sbcglobal.net

Get notified of new replies

To Renting Hallett, Vettes vs. BMWs

Quick Reply: Renting Hallett, Vettes vs. BMWs