Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Mustang Boys Embarrass The Chevy Corvette Boys

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:05 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ford Mustang Boys Embarrass The Chevy Corvette Boys

The lack for true factory track prep'd Corvette from chevy has long been a sore point for me, from the poor seats, to lack of tow hook. Reading about the new for 2012 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca should make us blush.

From the top the car will come street legal from the factory with: Recaro Seats, set up for 5 point harness.
Camber Brace for the front suspension
Driver adjustable (not electronically but manually with a screw driver) dampers at each car. 5 adjustments lets you balance the car.
Rear seat removed and stiffening braces added.
Upgraded Brembo bracks 14" from the heavier GT500
440 Hp, 380 ft lbs, 7500 rpm redline, forged aluminum pistons, forged connecting rods, oil cooler, upgraded radiator, ported cylinder heads, baffeled oil pan, 3.73.1 rear end, carbon-fiber friction plates,
Short throw 6sp (only)
Adjustable front splitter (not air damn) splitter, ducted front brake cooling, sound deading removed to remove weight and dual exhaust with added pipe that can be opened to dump in front of the rear wheels (for more noise) but read to free up exhaust (after all your on the track).
Full set of guages, plus a readout for quarter mile times, lateral g's and the like.
Alacantra wraped wheel.

Think the new Z07 package for the Z06 is nice and likely faster, but our boys aren't giving us a car nearly as track prepared. This car aims at the M3 but really says if you like HPDE this is your from the dealer car.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:34 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

yep very dumb chevy would not get off their *** to make a package like this and make some extra profit after many have been begging for it since the 06's came out, even sooner then that with the c5 z06's
Old 10-10-2010, 12:38 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is just the next Cobra R model. I bet they will have super limited production numbers as well. Literally, it sounds just like an R.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:39 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
This is just the next Cobra R model. I bet they will have super limited production numbers as well. Literally, it sounds just like an R.
There taking aero parts directly off of the R, especially the aero package, seats out of the GT500. There will be two versions, Boss 302 and the Boss 302 Laguna Seca. I am pretty sure they will build what the market will bear. Price is to be between the GT and the GT500. The base 302 will have the driver adjustable suspension, settings 1-5, the firmness level for the Boss 302 Laguna Seca will have a setting #1 equal to the base Boss's setting 5. 19" aluminum alloy wheels, 9" front, 9.5" rear wrapped in PZero's. The electric power steering firmness and feed back are also driver adjustable 3 effort levels, and the traction and stability control comes with a competition mode for higher drift angels or you can turn it off completely.

No mention of this being a limited edition. Top Speed 155 mph. 1g lateral for the base 302, 1.03g for the LS.

We can only dream of a Z06 with Z07 package, Recaro's, Pafdt coil overs, an off switch for the nannies and ZR1 brake package, and it would be twice the price of the Mustang Boss 302 LS.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:04 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grantar2

From the top the car will come street legal from the factory with: Recaro Seats, set up for 5 point harness.
Camber Brace for the front suspension
Driver adjustable (not electronically but manually with a screw driver) dampers at each car. 5 adjustments lets you balance the car.
Rear seat removed and stiffening braces added.
Upgraded Brembo bracks 14" from the heavier GT500
440 Hp, 380 ft lbs, 7500 rpm redline, forged aluminum pistons, forged connecting rods, oil cooler, upgraded radiator, ported cylinder heads, baffeled oil pan, 3.73.1 rear end, carbon-fiber friction plates,
Short throw 6sp (only)
Adjustable front splitter (not air damn) splitter, ducted front brake cooling, sound deading removed to remove weight and dual exhaust with added pipe that can be opened to dump in front of the rear wheels (for more noise) but read to free up exhaust (after all your on the track).
Full set of guages, plus a readout for quarter mile times, lateral g's and the like.
Just one thing--it's still a Mustang--what does it weigh???
Old 10-10-2010, 07:45 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

GM still doesn't get it. Even Chrysler is making a special drag race model. There's just too much old style thinking at GM. Plus, the place is run by a financial guy. At least this week.

Ford has had one guy in charge for a few years now. How many people have tried to run GM in the last few years?

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 10-10-2010, 08:36 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Just one thing--it's still a Mustang--what does it weigh???
3635 curb and I'd guess 54% of that (or more) is on the nose.

It'll have a high cg and mcpherson **** up front, and a solid rear axle.

It's a neat car, but for what it is, it'll be over-priced IMHO. I'd wager on the same rubber compound and (each) in it's stock tire sizes, a 10 yr old C5Z would be quicker on lap time.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:02 AM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grantar2
We can only dream of a Z06 with Z07 package, Recaro's, Pafdt coil overs, an off switch for the nannies and ZR1 brake package, and it would be twice the price of the Mustang Boss 302 LS.
The Z07 option includes the ZR1's magnetic adjustable (MRS) suspension and carbon ceramic brakes already. The nannies-off switch ('cept ABS) comes standard on the C6. Stock seats still suck at the track though.

Z06/Z07 = Less weight, more horsepower, bigger rubber, better suspension, better brakes - no contest IMO. The Corvette would be the better dual-purpose car too. Surely some magazine will put this comparo to a test soon enough....
Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I'm sure there are a lot of us out here that wish the General would offer more factory installed "track " options". Just a seat upgrade would be a big jump in the right direction!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:08 PM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Yeah BMW has given us track prepped cars (m3 gts), Porsche has, Dodge has (drag or roadcourse prepped), Ferrari has, etc. Where is gm! I can only imagine how awesome it would be.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:18 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
I'm sure there are a lot of us out here that wish the General would offer more factory installed "track " options". Just a seat upgrade would be a big jump in the right direction!
You got that right! Fancy little lettering on the back just doesn't cut it!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:20 PM
ninjavette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no doubt that GM could improve on the C6 with a track prepped package or even just a few tweaks to it's standard offerings. Ford certainly put a nice package together and I'm sure it'll perform well but the Mustang needed all of those options to compete. I think the C5Z/C6 can perform just as well if not better (waiting for specs) right out of the box. Let's get some objective side by side testing before we jump to any conclusions.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rfn026
GM still doesn't get it. Even Chrysler is making a special drag race model. There's just too much old style thinking at GM. Plus, the place is run by a financial guy. At least this week.

Ford has had one guy in charge for a few years now. How many people have tried to run GM in the last few years?

Richard Newton
Facebook
The Vette guys don't get it. They have been allowed to do the carbon fiber thing, 3 or 4 very different suspensions. Thye just don't get the track, autocross crowd. The changes wouldn't be expensive. Forget this mid engined nonsense if you can get the basics right, which they never have for the street but did with the Corvette challenge cars.

Someone else said yeah but it's a Mustang and I agree, and it's still solid axel, but it can as several Mustangs have, beat a BMW M3 and that says a lot. Feels better than the M3 according to more than a couple of reviews.

My point is for a Z06 going out the door near $70k and more, we should expect better. I realize you want to leave room for the tunners, I am not asking Chevy to put LG or Pafdt out of business, I am just asking for the basics, the car has a computer, give me data. It should offer at least as a factory option real seats, Cadillac has Recaro designed seats. And design in the front & rear tow hooks and front brake ducts and spindle vents. Really is that asking a lot.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
3635 curb and I'd guess 54% of that (or more) is on the nose.

It'll have a high cg and mcpherson **** up front, and a solid rear axle.

It's a neat car, but for what it is, it'll be over-priced IMHO. I'd wager on the same rubber compound and (each) in it's stock tire sizes, a 10 yr old C5Z would be quicker on lap time.
Bingo! I'll bet my street car with a completely stock engine, single Konis, and Pfadt Pfatty sway bars will spank that thing. A C5Z full of gas is about 3,120 lb.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:26 PM
shifter77
Drifting

ZO6 CUP CAR would B awesome. Zo7 is a waste of $$$$.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

Get notified of new replies

To Ford Mustang Boys Embarrass The Chevy Corvette Boys

Old 10-11-2010, 01:54 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

As an owner of both Mustangs and Corvettes, I'm thinking that will be a near-race prepped car, and it will be a good one. My previous "toy" was a Saleen S351 Mustang (very healthy 7 liter Lozano Bros. World Challenge motor), and on track, it was more than capable of beating any Vette it came up against, but it was really a very thinly disguised race car, fun, fast, but way too much for the street. I've driven a friends brand new '11 Mustang 5.0, with the new 412 hp motor, and it's the best factory "pony car" (including Camaro and Challenger), as well as the best Mustang I've ever driven, so with the numerous race-bred mods and 440 hp, the Boss should be a great car. That being said, even though it's not a "race-prep" car, I'll put money on my '10 Grand Sport both on the street or on the track, no disrespect towards the Ford. Do the math, more HP, more torque, and about 400 lbs less weight, as well as near perfect balance equals a win for the Vette. Plus previous experience in new Mustang models tells me that if it stickers in the low $40k range, I doubt you'll be able to get one for anything close to that, as with the $15k "market adjustments" on the latest Shelby GT 500's. I'm thinking more like low to mid $50's to get in a new Boss. It should be an interesting comparison though, but I still say the GS wins, you really can't fairly compare it to a ZO6.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Still a Mustang.

Weight advantage is great.

GM has done track car offerings, the C5R comes to mind and there were what... 30 or so sold to people.

GM learned that no matter what they do to offer in a track car, unless its a spec series, people change the parts to what they want.

Also, if you wanted a track car, I'd take the 50K+ that the Boss would actually require to buy, and you can build a very nasty track rat.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by OKsweetrides
Still a Mustang.

Weight advantage is great.

GM has done track car offerings, the C5R comes to mind and there were what... 30 or so sold to people.

GM learned that no matter what they do to offer in a track car, unless its a spec series, people change the parts to what they want.

Also, if you wanted a track car, I'd take the 50K+ that the Boss would actually require to buy, and you can build a very nasty track rat.
Yeah...they did sell some C5R's...they only made 25 of them, IN KIT FORM, and to buy it you needed an SCCA license.

Came as boxes of parts that needed to be built into a car...and they said up front they were only building 25.

Far different from going into a GM dealer, ordering the car and driving it off the lot when it arrives as a track-ready pavement pounder

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang Boys Embarrass The Chevy Corvette Boys