Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone going to TWS this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:35 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Anyone going to TWS this weekend?

I am going to TWS this weekend for the first time and was just wondering if anyone from the forum will be attending also.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:19 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ill be there for open lapping on Friday only (must attend wedding in Dallas this weekend or Id be there for Sat-Sun too). Ill be running in a new motor in the Z. Friday only won't be to bad - 4 hours of open track for $125 - thats tough to beat.
Looks like a great weekend. Have fun and lets try to meet-up next time out.
Post-up your impressions of the event and the TWS track when you get the chance.

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 10-14-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:03 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensa
I am going to TWS this weekend for the first time and was just wondering if anyone from the forum will be attending also.

I race there with CVAR. Yyou didn't say if you have been there before, so disregard this if you have....
When coming off the banking into turn #1, look for a large square painted on the track on the outside. This is the "track out" point to aim for, and also the turn in point for turn #2.

Enjoy....it's a great track
Old 10-14-2010, 06:20 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I race there with CVAR. Yyou didn't say if you have been there before, so disregard this if you have....
When coming off the banking into turn #1, look for a large square painted on the track on the outside. This is the "track out" point to aim for, and also the turn in point for turn #2.

Enjoy....it's a great track
Thanks for the info, this is my first time at the track and I am definitely looking forward to it. My assigned instructor has the last name of Crownover, it shows that he owns an 06 Corvette, I am curious if he is on the forum.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:33 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

In broad, general terms..............you can stay on it on the banking until the fence after the final row of seats (on the right), then let off (or probably brake, but you don't have to stand on the brakes) and turn into turn 1.
Turn #3 exit has MARKEDLY narrower pavement at trackout, so if you try to use ALL the road, you will run OFF.
Hang your inside front tire OFF at the apex of turn #6 (left hander).
Turn #7 (uphill, banked, lefthander) is MUCH faster than it looks........however, the penalty for an off here is severe.
The horseshoe (#10) is just a long, slow turn.
Turns 13 and 14 (chicane) are very slow,but they exit onto the fastest straight, therefore you can lose more here if you overdrive......SO, SLOW in and fast out onto th banking
Good luck, and please post your weekend stories.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:59 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm assuming you're running CCW, since most clubs do (though TDE is running CW there in Nov). Like they were saying about Turn 1, you can carry throttle to the end of the stands, but it's a hard transition off the banking on the infield, so be straight when you come down, and whatever you do, do NOT overcook Turn 1 so much you go off on the outside. Between 1 and 2 is OK, but if you go off early in Turn 1, there is a culvert out there that you can't see from the track that does bad things. If you know you're going in WAY too hot, just cruise down onto the apron around NASCAR 1 and 2. They'd much rather you do that than go off fast in 1.

Like was already said, track out at 3 is narrow, and what's worse is it GETS NARROWER as you track out, with a nice bump at the end. It's safest here to late apex and pinch in a little on the track out.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is Turn 4. IF the track is dry, it's a boring non-event corner. If it's damp (ie dew in the morning or whatever), there is a car-wide patch at the apex. STAY OFF IT or you'll spin off driver's left.

Only other thing to remember about that track is that it changes A LOT during the course of the day, especially this time of year when the ambient temperature changes 35+ from morning to afternoon. It's usually slick in the morning and really grippy late.

One general item is that if you get the chance, definitely fill up your tank in town, not at the track. Track fuel is convenient, but was $3.50/gal for 93 the other weekend.

Oh, and it's FUN!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:59 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I'll be there! My car has new numbers, so don't look for #143 as in the photo. My number is now 124. I have a garage space rented so look for me there. I'll be in the end space of the last building.
If this is your first time at TWS, you'll be in the green group, and you'll have an instructor with you. Don't try to be the fastest guy out there, take advantage of your instructor's advice and learn the lines. It'll pay off big time as you advance.
The comments above about the turns is all true. Turn 3 running CCW is probably one of the hardest ones to get right as was stated above. I have personally ended up in the grass - embarrassing - but there's plenty of run off room there.
The weather is going to be fantastic! Bring plenty of water! There is a snack bar on the track, and they usually serve breakfast and lunch at reasonable prices.
Hope to see you out there. What's your car #?
Bill
Old 10-15-2010, 02:37 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
In broad, general terms..............you can stay on it on the banking until the fence after the final row of seats (on the right), then let off (or probably brake, but you don't have to stand on the brakes) and turn into turn 1.
Turn #3 exit has MARKEDLY narrower pavement at trackout, so if you try to use ALL the road, you will run OFF.
Hang your inside front tire OFF at the apex of turn #6 (left hander).
Turn #7 (uphill, banked, lefthander) is MUCH faster than it looks........however, the penalty for an off here is severe.
The horseshoe (#10) is just a long, slow turn.
Turns 13 and 14 (chicane) are very slow,but they exit onto the fastest straight, therefore you can lose more here if you overdrive......SO, SLOW in and fast out onto th banking
Good luck, and please post your weekend stories.
Thanks for the info and guidance!

Originally Posted by CorvetteZ51Racer
I'm assuming you're running CCW, since most clubs do (though TDE is running CW there in Nov). Like they were saying about Turn 1, you can carry throttle to the end of the stands, but it's a hard transition off the banking on the infield, so be straight when you come down, and whatever you do, do NOT overcook Turn 1 so much you go off on the outside. Between 1 and 2 is OK, but if you go off early in Turn 1, there is a culvert out there that you can't see from the track that does bad things. If you know you're going in WAY too hot, just cruise down onto the apron around NASCAR 1 and 2. They'd much rather you do that than go off fast in 1.

Like was already said, track out at 3 is narrow, and what's worse is it GETS NARROWER as you track out, with a nice bump at the end. It's safest here to late apex and pinch in a little on the track out.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is Turn 4. IF the track is dry, it's a boring non-event corner. If it's damp (ie dew in the morning or whatever), there is a car-wide patch at the apex. STAY OFF IT or you'll spin off driver's left.

Only other thing to remember about that track is that it changes A LOT during the course of the day, especially this time of year when the ambient temperature changes 35+ from morning to afternoon. It's usually slick in the morning and really grippy late.

One general item is that if you get the chance, definitely fill up your tank in town, not at the track. Track fuel is convenient, but was $3.50/gal for 93 the other weekend.

Oh, and it's FUN!!!
You are correct in that it is CCW. Thanks for the notes and info on the fuel prices.

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
I'll be there! My car has new numbers, so don't look for #143 as in the photo. My number is now 124. I have a garage space rented so look for me there. I'll be in the end space of the last building.
If this is your first time at TWS, you'll be in the green group, and you'll have an instructor with you. Don't try to be the fastest guy out there, take advantage of your instructor's advice and learn the lines. It'll pay off big time as you advance.
The comments above about the turns is all true. Turn 3 running CCW is probably one of the hardest ones to get right as was stated above. I have personally ended up in the grass - embarrassing - but there's plenty of run off room there.
The weather is going to be fantastic! Bring plenty of water! There is a snack bar on the track, and they usually serve breakfast and lunch at reasonable prices.
Hope to see you out there. What's your car #?
Bill

I am number 504. I will be across the way and a few spots down from you in the garages. I will be in space 32. I look forward to meeting you!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The weather should be excellent. I will not be there this weekend due to a cracked piston during the Drivers Edge event two weekends ago. The TWS group is a very friendly bunch and will try to make you feel at home. Warning! You will become a regular! Following is a link to some video shot last month in the CCW direction with a buddy in another C6Z. Have fun and play safe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27jiFhy6-DQ

Jim
Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Jim, that sucks! Any update on a schedule for repairs? I'm still debating on the november event.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Here's a vid from my car at the event two weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiAJYLHwatY
Old 10-15-2010, 09:38 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

just got back home from todays open track event.
Most excellent day..should be equally good conditions Sat and Sun.
Track surface condition and grounds are as good as Ive ever seen there.
You guys that can make it...have you a great weekend !
Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Jim, that sucks! Any update on a schedule for repairs? I'm still debating on the november event.
It blew in turn 2 after coming off the front straight. A 1 1/2 inch piece of #7 piston broke-off and cracked the sleeve. Oil filled the intake. Nothing short of a miracle that the engine didn't grenade.

The engine is disassembled and the block and pistons are being checked out. Hopefully, the block can be re-sleeved. If so, I am going to replace with forged pistons. It sucks being on the bench this weekend in this weather. Y'all have fun!

Last edited by Corvee; 10-15-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Here's a vid from my car at the event two weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiAJYLHwatY
Good lines! Dang that was fun. Hope to be together by next month.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:27 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Yikes! I've definitely seen worse but I'm glad to see it didn't come apart. What session did that happen in? Always remember that, while I trailer my car to the track, I do bring my street tires. I am always willing to put the street tires on and roll yours up on the trailer.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Yikes! I've definitely seen worse but I'm glad to see it didn't come apart. What session did that happen in? Always remember that, while I trailer my car to the track, I do bring my street tires. I am always willing to put the street tires on and roll yours up on the trailer.
Third session Sunday. I would have taken you up on the trailer. Tow bill from College Station home on flat-bed was $300.00! I am in the market for a trailer after this.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:39 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Just got back a little bit ago from the track. It was a great weekend with perfect weather, nice people, and a super fun track. I started off the weekend in the green run group since it was my first time at the track and spent all of Saturday there. I then did my first 3 sessions on Sunday running in the Blue group with my instructor and was moved up to Blue Solo for my last run of the day. It is definitely a super fun track that flows really well. My best laps were sitting right at the 2:00.xx mark, but I couldn't quite put together a sub 2 minute lap. I found myself consistently in the 2:02 - 2:05 range which overall I was very happy with for my first weekend there. There are definitely a few spots that I can improve on, I just need to get some more track and seat time before that can happen (obviously). Overall a great weekend and awesome track. It was great meeting Bill and quite a few other guys this weekend. Also, Brent Crownover was my instructor, he was extremely helpful and definitely makes you feel comfortable on track.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone going to TWS this weekend?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:24 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevensa
JMy best laps were sitting right at the 2:00.xx mark, but I couldn't quite put together a sub 2 minute lap. I found myself consistently in the 2:02 - 2:05 range which overall I was very happy with for my first weekend there.
Those are great times - first time out, C5Z, CCW, instructor onboard ! Nice Job !
were you on street tires or track tires ? How did your brakes hold up ? etc ?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:43 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
Those are great times - first time out, C5Z, CCW, instructor onboard ! Nice Job !
were you on street tires or track tires ? How did your brakes hold up ? etc ?
I was on a fresh set of Kumho XS 275/40/17 front, 315/30/18 rear. This was my first time on these tires and I really liked them. There were a few times when they strated to grease up, but it was usually in the afternoon when the track and day got hotter. Taking 2 psi out all around fixed that. This was also my first time out with a set of DRM brake ducts and AFX 2-piece rotors and they did just fine. I probably used about 40% of the pads throughout the weekend which seemed fairly acceptable.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Great to meet you also. Glad you had a good time. Very nice lap times! Hope to see you up there again next month.
Bill

Quick Reply: Anyone going to TWS this weekend?